TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gun Thread About Guns And Gun Related Gunnery

1. are you implying it's better to wait for the cops to show up 10-20 maybe 50 minutes later ? because it's obvious that is simply not working for the students who are getting mowed down.
    3. I multi task.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    2. the sheriff had a different say on him.
    My eyes crossed and my head spun round when the sheriff said he "saw" him cower for four minutes. Think on that a second. I know that it could have been on tape but it sounded as if he were condemning him while himself being there and doing nothing.

I seriously do not understand anyone that old valuing their own life that much. What the hell have we got to look forward to? Incontinence? The slow rot of our bodies until we are walking corpses? Fuck that. Give me the chance to miss that shit. I love life but it's a shit road ahead anyway. It would be nice to go out without breaking every single commandment but what the hell might as well.

About guns? We aren't going to do a damn thing. Bring up anything at all and there is a gun nut with a counter argument.

Schools, night clubs, movie theaters, concerts....no shortage of soft targets, and nutjobs have taken advantage of all of them.

There are soft targets all over the world, and mentally ill all over the world. The difference could just be that there aren't 310 million guns in the hands of citizens in other parts of the world.

Compare all other factors, and the only difference is the crazy ass availability of guns.

Somewhere we went from a nation where a gun was a means of supplementing food on the table to one where little boys who never grew up want maximum firepower and dream of what a hero they are. Christ almighty we put plugs in shotguns to give doves a chance and we can't limit clip size to give our kids even a small chance. We are damned and it's our fault.

Red herring. The 2nd Amendment wasn't enacted to protect hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    I don't blame him for that. Being armed and trained doesn't mean you're ready to confront that type of situation where your life is in danger - I wouldn't be surprised if the most "gung ho" hero of the shooting range doesn't lock up when confronted with their own mortality.
    I agree that one can never foresee how they will react in a life-threatening situation. Please understand, I'm having trouble controlling my emotions on this subject due to the fact that I'm a mother and grandmother and can not understand how anyone could stand outside an open door and hear children screaming in fear and pain and not do anything to help those children? There you are, a trained law enforcement officer and you're armed; you hear those kids screaming, some in agony, and you've been trained to protect, you've had more than a couple of decades of experience, yet you do nothing? I'm no hero, but just watching/listening to some of the videos from inside the classrooms that those students recorded on their cells tore my heart out and instinctively made me want to run to them and try to help them, protect them. I can't imagine a person hearing children screaming in pain and not instinctively wanting to rush in and protect them. Especially if that person has a weapon that could be used to help those children. My brain is stuck.

Same here Dia. Then again, maybe this particular cop chose this duty assignment specifically because he didn't have the stomach/confidence/whatever to risk his life performing other law enforcement duties.

Trump's logic that armed teachers = An end to mass shootings as they would (in theory) shoot the offenders is just ludicrous.

Over here in Aus, we had 1 mass shooting. Banned automatic weapons straight after. Not had a single mass shooting ever since.

To quote one of the survivors of the shooting, it's all BS by corrupt officials who themselves are receiving funding by the NRA. I don't see anything ever changing however, unless there is a HUGE public response with protest marches and unrest over a long time period. Unless that happens then this will forever be swept under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Red herring. The 2nd Amendment wasn't enacted to protect hunting.
    I hope this was dry humor. I was speaking of where we have come as a nation from our early days. I was speaking of our soul as a nation and not the amendment which allows the degradation of it.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Unless that happens then this will forever be swept under the rug.
    The discussion on guns in the US is over.
    The discussion was over 5 years ago.
    26 People were shot. In Sandy Hook. 20 of them were very young children.
    And most Americans didn't give a fuck. Nothing. Nada.
    "Fuck you, I like guns".

There is nothing left to discuss.

The gun nuts are claiming it didn't happen. They will say anything to avoid guilt. I just had one on FB claim the AR 15 with a thirty round banana clip and bump stock was the same as a wooden stock with a five round clip and THEN I had to explain the tell tale things to look at to determine that because he is both biased AND gun illiterate. Fucking amazing. Little boys who like to go pow with guns to make them feel big while kids die and NOTHING will get done.

As I said, for things to change the public needs to rise up and fight this. If that doesn't happen then nothing will change. This sort of things needs a big public reaction over a long time frame. Not 1 protest down the street, or a few people saying things infront of the camera. It needs continued action. Then and only then might things change, and even then only in a few states maybe. But any change would = good change.

Moderator and Priest
    It's not going to change in the immediate future, that's for sure. We're in an election year, after all. No one's going to go so far as to make a direct comment on the issue until after the midterms.

A defeatist attitude isn't going to help. Neither will hoping that future mass shootings are unlikely to happen. There is some momentum for change now, with big companies getting in on the act - keep it going rather than let it peter out. It would make a good election issue imho.

Would it be possible to turn all schools and colleges into no gun zones as airports are? It would cost millions but if every person had to go through full security checks before getting into educational facilities it would be worth it.

I believe it is an impossibility to change the gun culture of the American way of life, so the only answer is to circumvent it. If you can build a wall between countries then you can build one around schools.
    Last edited by Medlar; 25th Feb 2018 at 08:22.

Most school shootings initially kick off outside the school, not inside it. Installing metal detectors at the entrance would do nothing.

It would just mean it will happen somewhere else, though, like a music concert or a nightclub or wherever young people gather.

Well, I suppose it's not entirely true that it would do nothing. It would create a gargantuan expense for school districts who already deal with painfully overstretched budgets, add more stress to students' lives having to deal with a daily security procedure, and create a new class of school security personnel akin to the TSA with all the same risk of invasion of privacy and abuse of their position that we hear about from airport security.

And on top of that, unless physical barriers are erected, it's not going to stop someone blasting their way into the school with a semiautomatic rifle, as with the Parkland shooting and countless others.

So unless I misunderstood your suggestion, it seems like a bad idea to me.

EDIT: This was in response to Medlar's reply of "Just nothing eh!" which he has deleted.

LittleFlower
    All this discussion on gun-control, types of guns, where guns are allowed and not allowed. It's all bullshit.
    The whole question basically boils down to pick one option out of two possible approaches.

Option 1):
    Citizens don't have guns. only police and the military have guns.
    This kinda works. See the rest of the civilized world outside the US.

Option 2):
    Everybody has guns. That means that your country will be a constant warzone.
    Everybody is armed to the teeth. Everybody has to be combat-ready all the time. Everybody has to be alert all the time.
    Making mistakes in daily life means someone might die.
    (This is already the case for cops in the US today. That's why they shoot first and ask questions later).
    More violence is supposed to be the answer to any question.
    Congrats, you have changed your country into a living nightmare.

Lots of Americans seem to chose option 2.
    What can you say ?
    Good luck with that.

There has to some course of action to prevent the constant recurrence of these shootings. To take no action as has been the policy to date and is clearly not working. It’s easy to do nothing, difficult and no doubt expensive to try and find answers.

I would tax the product that is part of the problem to pay for the solution.

I thought to say “just nothing” was flippant and insulting so removed it..

Quote Originally Posted by Medlar View Post
    I believe it is an impossibility to change the gun culture of the American way of life, so the only answer is to circumvent it.
    Of course change is possible, but it would have to be step by step over a period of time. Perhaps start by banning rapid-fire weapons and then work slowly and steadily towards to Gryz's Option 1.

In a different take, the bombastic Jeremy Clarkson has written a controversial article in The Sun. Here are extracts:

The anti-gun lobby seems to think that with tighter controls, America would suddenly become as harmless as Teletubbyland. But even if the controls made it totally impossible to buy any sort of weapon, the problem wouldn’t be solved.

Because what would happen to the 300million guns that are already in private hands? They wouldn’t simply disappear in a puff of smoke.

No. The big problem America has is that it’s home to a great many mad people. You occasionally see a lunatic on Britain’s streets, howling at the moon and shouting at lampposts, but in American cities, you see someone like that every day. And it’s mad people who open fire in a classroom or at concertgoers in Las Vegas.

What America should really be doing to halt the spread of mass murder is addressing its mental health issues.

They could start in the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I hope this was dry humor. I was speaking of where we have come as a nation from our early days. I was speaking of our soul as a nation and not the amendment which allows the degradation of it.
    No humor intended. My point was the following: The origin of our nation was a rebellion against a king, who sent a standing army here to keep the colonies under his thumb, enacted a ban on imports of firearms and gunpowder, and ordered the confiscation of guns from citizens and local governments. The revolution wouldn't have been possible without the existence of citizen militias that formed into the Continental Army and/or fought alongside it. That's the reason we have the 2nd Amendment, not to protect hunting or chase off burglars.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    It would just mean it will happen somewhere else, though, like a music concert or a nightclub or wherever young people gather.
    I was just going through this list of school shootings:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

It seems that most of the shooters had a connection to the school. In the biggest massacres (Columbine, Red Lake, Newtown, Parkland) the shooters were current or former students who were targeting the school because of their history or experiences there. If they didn't have access to guns, they might go with bombs instead (like Columbine - but fortunately most of their bombs didn't work). Or maybe arson.

Tightly controlling access to the school might prevent that, but who the hell wants to raise their kids with that kind of extreme security mindset.

Isn't killing people with guns much easier than killing them by arson, though? People are bound to notice the smoke and take action. And I don't know how easy it is to make a bomb (in terms of both getting the materials and without blowing yourself up), but presumably it's not quite as easy as getting a gun in the US.

No humor intended. My point was the following: The origin of our nation was a rebellion against a king, who sent a standing army here to keep the colonies under his thumb, enacted a ban on imports of firearms and gunpowder, and ordered the confiscation of guns from citizens and local governments. The revolution wouldn't have been possible without the existence of citizen militias that formed into the Continental Army and/or fought alongside it. That's the reason we have the 2nd Amendment, not to protect hunting or chase off burglars.
    Right. Guns didn't exist before the revolution. We didn't have to hunt for daily sustenance. We didn't have to fight the French or Indians. All the second amendment did was codify what already existed. It would never have occurred to them to ban hunting weapons. They had to have those to survive. The north even let the south keep those at the end of the Civil War. That lingered in our culture until the current day when it has been perverted by little boys in men's bodies going pow pow with maximum firepower and maximum ammunition.

When I was a kid there were hunters everywhere you looked and nobody locked their doors. We left that. We are now in the age of not being able to control anything about guns. Oh there were stupid folks who pointed guns at you. There are always stupid folks. But the Texas clock tower was an anomaly in the news. Lot's of things changed our culture from Schwarzenegger movies to gangsta inurement. But what stops our doing ANYTHING about it? Gun nuts and the NRA. You can't do even the most simple things because it might infringe on Bubba Shootemups right to FREEDOM!

Well a lot of these shootings are done with guns designed to kill the most and Bubba might decide he needs a grenade launcher next. Why not? I'm sure the NRA will support it and there will be some rationalization dreamed up to support it. After all, if you outlaw grenade launchers, only outlaws with have them.

The revolution wouldn't have been possible without the existence of citizen militias that formed into the Continental Army and/or fought alongside it. That's the reason we have the 2nd Amendment, not to protect hunting or chase off burglars.
    Yeah; the 2nd amendment was about protecting individual state-regulated militias that haven't existed in a rather long time.

We don't let private individuals have nukes. Or any number of large weapon systems.

We heavily regulate small cannons, grenades, and various "destructive devices" - you can get them, but expect to pay a fair chunk of change and go through quite a bit of hassle. Notably, while private ownership of this class of manufactured weapons is possible, AFAIK they've never been used in a domestic mass killing despite being well suited to the job.

We lightly regulate small firearms. They're widely available, easy to get, and the background checks aren't that thorough and can be skirted legally. And if it's hard to get them where you are, well, it's easy to pick them up across state lines.

Knives, machetes, axes, and other potentially deadly tools are easily available without any checks, but still banned in a lot of venues.

All this talk about "...the right to bear arms shall not be infringed" is out of touch with reality. It...is...infringed. And nobody's proposing that J-random Koch brother should be allowed to buy himself a nice little nuclear missile. (...Right?) The only question is where you draw which line. What if we simply shift any semi-automatic firing mechanism to the destructive device category?

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast