TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Can't play edited Thief fan missions

Can't play edited Thief fan missions

I can play fan missions like normal and edit them using DromEd but when I want to edit an existing fan mission by adding objects, guards, torches and then saving the mission after, I can't play the edited mission to see the changes that I made, it only allows me to play the mission before I edit it. How do I fix this issue? I am using DromEd version 1.18 Do I need to update DromEd as well? I play the fan missions using NewDarkloader as my FM player. I don't use Darkloader to launch fan missions. Other than that, the game works great!

Zombified
    you are probably either not saving them at all, not saving them under the correct name, or under the correct location.

Hey, I was able to figure it out after all, but now I have a different problem similar, but now with the Thief Gold original missions involved, I experiment with the Lord Bafford's Manor mission, I placed a guard by the entrance to the mansion then I saved the miss2.mis file which is the mission file to play the mission. I run the game, and the guard I placed there is not appearing at all, I even try to run the edited mission on DromEd by going to the game tab and pressing the Game Mode button, it doesn't work. I'm running DromEd 1.37 for Thief Gold, I know, it's a different version from Thief 2, at least I can edit the original missions that came with the game but can't play them with the new changes that I made.

Zombified
    as far as TG is concerned, set your install up properly (editor included), and come back if you have problems after that.

I have the Thief Gold HD Mod installed instead of TFix, should I uninstall the HD Mod and replace it with the TFix patch instead? Not sure, if that's part of the problem with DromEd not being able to play the original missions that I make changes to. I actually have another idea, is it possible that I can run the edited Lord Bafford's Manor mission to a fan mission by creating a zip folder called Lord Bafford's Manor and then put the necessary game files to make it work? It would be like running a regular fan mission since running the miss2.mis needs a place to store the file and game files to run the mission properly.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 5th Feb 2018 at 12:53.

Zombified
    just create a new TG install just for Dromed (that's pretty much what you should be doing anyway).

and yeah, you can set stuff up in many wondrous ways, but if you want my help, then it's either my way or the highway.

Oh I see, so without uninstalling the entire Thief Gold game, just reinstall DromEd. The only thing is, I have Thief Gold installed with Steam, so that means, I'll have to uninstall the whole game just to reinstall DromEd, I could just install the DromEd basic toolkit version 1.13 and see if that update fixes my issue. Sorry, I don't mean to waste your time, but that could had been another option to mention as well. By the way, I made a mistake telling you this before, I did install the TFix patch first and then install the Thief Gold HD Mod after, so I don't know, guess I'll have to figure it out on my own then.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 5th Feb 2018 at 23:54.

Zombified
    any TFixed Thief install will become portable. you can move your current TG install from the steam folder, load up a new one via steam, move it away and patch it up with TFix and install Dromed into it, and move the original install back into steam. you can have dozens of TFixed TG installs anywhere on your hard drive.

anyway, the point is: get a clean install of TG off steam, patch it with TFix, install Dromed as recommended, and you'll be fine. or keep reinventing the wheel.

I tried looking for a patch to update DromEd without all the hassle, the problem is probably because I'm using an outdated version of the program. I'm not sure if DromEd version 1.37 is the latest patch but if so, well, I do see another option, installing the DromEd toolkit version 1.13 I did read somewhere that DromEd version 1.37 is outdated is recommended to use the toolkit since I already have the Newdark, TFix and HD Mod installed. I'm sorry, what I could do though is whatever error messages I get, I'll take a picture of it and show it to you so that can make things alot easier to see what the problem really is. It's more of a visual thing to see what is really going on.

Zombified
    dude.

1) install TG
    2) patch up with TFix
    3) install Dromed toolkit as described in the TFix topic

done.

My game is already patched up with TFix, I installed it the first time correctly so it shouldn't be any different. I'll install the Dromed toolkit by extracting the Dromed toolkit folder to my Thief Gold directory, overwrite any files when prompted and copy the contents .\tools\Thief1 Gold Dromed\ to my root Thief Gold Directory Plus another important thing to do after I read this carefully. NOTE: Your Thief1 or Thief Gold install should be "optimized", by moving all *.crf files from your root thief1 directory to a subfolder named "RES" then editing your install.cfg file to change the "resname_base" to include .\RES (e.g: resname_base .\RES+D:\Thief)

Zombified
    funny how you seem to be reading all the instructions in the world, except those that actually matter. lets try it one last time (direct copy paste from the TFix topic).
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    INSTALLING THE DROMED EDITOR:

1. Install the game
    2. Patch up with TFix
    3. Extract the DromEd Basic Toolkit to your root Thief directory. Overwrite any files when prompted.
    4. Copy the contents of .\tools\Thief1 Gold Newdark Dromed\ to your root Thief directory. Overwrite any files when prompted.
    5. Open the NewDark package, then editor.zip, and extract DromEd.exe and darkdlgs.dll to your root Thief directory. Overwrite any files when prompted.
    6. Enable hw rendering once Dromed is working, edit dromed.cfg in your TG folder, and uncomment following lines so they would look like this:
    Code:
    editor_disable_gdi
    edit_screen_depth 32
    7. Set up the resolution in user.cfg (typically, you'll want something a little lower than your desktop resolution)
    Last edited by voodoo47; 7th Feb 2018 at 14:06.

Thanks, I'll make sure to read the instructions carefully. I was taking your advice, sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough. I probably wasn't being too specific with the issue of the Dromed editor. It's all a visual thing like I said before. But thanks for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it. I have another question I would like to ask though, I'm using 1920x1200 resolution on my monitor desktop, how come it would be better if I use a resolution with Dromed lower than the current one I'm using now? Will Dromed not work properly if I use a higher resolution, if so, what is the recommended resolution size that you think would look nice in Dromed?

Zombified
    well, you need to be able to see the borders of the editor window, so it should be something like edit_screen_size 1440,1080 (that's what I'm using on my 1920*1200 monitor).

Oh I see, I'm using 1280x1024 which is the minimum screen resolution I can use, anything below that, the program won't start. I find that kinda weird. But it will do. You said once Dromed is working, how do you enable hw rendering within the Dromed program? I searched around in the toolbar section, I don't see a function to do that. Plus I had to copy and paste the code: editor_disable_gdi and edit_screen_depth 32 in the dromed.cfg file because it wasn't even showing there in the first place and the simicolon ( But I should like you said, still uncomment the simicolon so it can work properly.

Zombified
    then I'm pretty sure you have yet again, failed to follow the instructions properly.

I'm guessing you are still trying to beat your current install into submission, instead of just making a new clean one. one way or another, I'm pretty sure I'm done repeating myself, so you have fun doing whatever you're doing.

Good news, I figured it out on my own. What was causing the issue with Dromed not saving properly with placing guards, objects, and light torches was the HD Mod and TFix installed at the same time, I had to uninstall the HD Mod and reinstall Tfix. I'm sorry if I caused so much trouble for you helping me out, but since I figured it on my own and did the best I could to my ability, I want to say thank you for doing your best. I don't tweak with the game files on a regular basis when it comes to modding PC games in general. It can be tough but I was very patient and you as well were too. Thank you for your time and patience! I look forward to getting future help from you again soon but hopefully in a more non-difficult way. Have a nice day!
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 8th Feb 2018 at 01:57.