TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about a more Direct Democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    This is one reason why I don't like authorities. They get to make dumb decisions. Evil decisions even. And they will never have to show responsibility.
    Actually holding someone responsible works much better if you can refer to some kind of authority. However if a whole country makes dumb and evil decisions, then most of those responsible will never be held up for it.

Is expertism similar to meritocracy? If so, how do non-experts assess the expertise of those seeking power? Or do we just leave it to the experts?

I am not being facetious. I am really trying to navigate between the extremes of the tyrants and the mob.

You said get involved. I have. I have been a union executive and a community organiser and I know what you mean about not every one being cut out to lead or even wanting to. I also have experienced the selfishness of the membership, and their indifference. We were lucky to get 2 or 3 percent of the members to a general meeting or 10 percent to an election.

I have every reason to be cynical. But I also have an optimistic or maybe masochistic streak and I think there must be a better way. And not just with apps and happy thoughts.

"However if a whole country makes dumb and evil decisions, then most of those responsible will never be held up for it."

That's a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    It can apply, if politicians are so power hungry that they forgo common welfare, but we have invented rules to prevent that.
    And yet, a disturbingly large number of politicians are still only looking at how to make things better for themselves, or at least the small portion of people that they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Is expertism similar to meritocracy? If so, how do non-experts assess the expertise of those seeking power? Or do we just leave it to the experts?
    As with other job delegations we only assess the results, which is fine in most cases. Sometimes the results may not look too golden and you have to understand the reasoning behind it. That's when there is often a disconnect between politicians and voters.
    I can provide recent examples, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    "However if a whole country makes dumb and evil decisions, then most of those responsible will never be held up for it."

That's a fair point.
    If I may elaborate on that, the problem is that voters are aware of this unaccountability and for quite a few this means, with social control removed, they drop every pretence of humanity and vote purely egotistical.
    There is an expectation for public persons to act out our ideals of morality on our behalf. And they are judged accordingly. But your average Mr. Smith can act like a complete fuckwad in the voting booth and no one will ever know. And he knows that. He can go home afterwards and pretend to still be a nice and normal guy to everyone.

I will concede that the German Nazi history and my own experience of living in Eastern Germany have tainted my faith in the crowd. And for a while I thought this skepticism might be misplaced today.
    But with the rising nationalism I now think that it never hurts to be wary in this regard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123