TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Need a new object

Need a new object

Hiya

I'm looking for someone to make a book. A book locked by magic. The tricky thing about this book is it needs to have places where various stones will be inset. Each time a stone is set into the cover, some kind of magical razzamatazz will happen. Then of course you will see the model with that particular stone inserted. So actually I probably need a number of books, one for every time a stone is inset?

When the final stone is set in, of course then the book will open.

Is this even do-able? Hoping for some help, advice, random thoughts from the community. Thank you!

How many stones?
    If you have only 3 stones and no hard order to place them in, you need 8 (!) models:
    no_stone
    stone1
    stone2
    stone3
    stone12
    stone13
    stone23
    stone123
    If four... the column will be too high.
    The hard order, on the other hand, will limit player too much.
    I think you need a sort of compromiss. Say, a book which can't be moved, with nests for stones. When you insert the final stone, you can change the model and its properties.

You don't need different book models. You can use DetailAttachement links to stick an invisible copy of each gem onto the book (there's a sub-object option in the link data so the gems will rotate with the book's cover as it opens). Using a real gem on the book can cause it to make the "book gem" visible and then delete the one the player's holding.

The direction of the DA link has to be from each gem to the book, and those gems must be non-physical.

As well as making each gem visible, the book can increment a quest var, and when all gems are in place a QuestVarTrigger can make the book open, and from then on behave like a book normally does.

Zontik:
    The campaign is linear, so the 5 stones only have one order in which to be set. Therefore it would be:
    no stone
    stone 1
    stones 1 and 2
    stones 1, 2 and 3
    stones 1, 2, 3 and 4
    stones 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

For the stones I am thinking to get someone's permission to retexture stones they have already made.

R Soul:
    I understand some of what you said. My experience with this kind of thing is very limited. So I will have to experiment, or maybe my DromEd partner NightShifter will have a better handle on it. Two questions immediately comes to mind:
    1. Is there already a model of a book that opens?
    2. Can the exact locations of the stones be assigned through DA?

Thank you both for your replies

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    1. Probably but I'm not sure of one off hand.
    2. Yes, you set the offsets in the link data. R Soul's suggestion is IMO much easier and better than having multiple models.

There is an openable book in Bad Venture FM. Can't remember the model, probably something like *book*.

There are some opening books in Daraan's book pack: http://spirited-tech.com/thief/2017/...ion-by-daraan/

The stones could be based on the gems in the MX loot pack: http://spirited-tech.com/thief/categ...loot-treasure/

THANK YOU! Now, back to my HAMMER GIRLS campaign - only 20 years in the making now! (Not really, but feels like it)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Wow, that looks amazing Jeanne!

Holy builder, beautiful screens!