TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to pick gold-colored lock in Thief: Deadly Shadows

Unable to pick gold-colored lock in Thief: Deadly Shadows

I purchased the Steam version of Thief: Deadly Shadows.....and installed the "Thief 3 Sneaky upgrade." Up until VERY RECENTLY, I had experienced NO problems or issues with this game. However, sometime after the "Clocktower Mission," an 'upgrade' becomes available: The acquisition of the 'gold colored lock.' I had never experienced ANY issues picking any of the PREVIOUS locks. However, I am ABSOLUTELY UNABLE to pick the 'gold colored lock.' I have researched EVERYTHING regarding this issue: I have 'googled' this subject, I have researched other online forums....I have tinkered with ALL of my settings in the actual game (V-Sync, monitor refresh rate, turning off certain settings, etc.) to no avail.

Does anyone ANYWHERE have ANY idea as to why I am unable to pick the 'gold lock' in Thief: Deadly Shadows?

To reiterate: It is ONLY the "gold colored lock" than I am unable to pick -in Thief Deadly Shadows- so far...

Are you only trying the four cardinal directions (N, E, S, W) when lockpicking? Some of the locks later in the game also make use of the four ordinal directions (NE, SE, SW, NW). A few may even use the points in-between those eight directions, though I don't quite remember.

Southquarter.com/fms
    teacher_1 returns...OUTRAGEOUS!

Reply to unable to pick gold lock

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmauden View Post
    Are you only trying the four cardinal directions (N, E, S, W) when lockpicking? Some of the locks later in the game also make use of the four ordinal directions (NE, SE, SW, NW). A few may even use the points in-between those eight directions, though I don't quite remember.
    I am not doing ANYTHING different -when trying to pick the gold-colored lock- than I did with all of the previous colored locks. Of course I am using ALL directions. With EVERY gold-colored lock that I attempt to pick, I can get 'half-way' through picking the lock (in other words, the 'thing-a-ma-jig' on the lock will move half way up to the TOP position) -- but then it will be 'stuck' in the TOP position.....and it won't go any further.

From all of my 'inquiries' regarding this matter EVERYWHERE online, it seems obvious that I am the ONLY boy -who has ever purchased or played Thief: Deadly Shadows- who has EVER experienced this exact issue. I have never found another COMMENT or POST ANYWHERE on the internet -that implies that anyone has ever experienced lockpicking with only a SINGLE type/color of lock.....but not with any of the other locks.

I am getting the impression that this matter is never going to be resolved.

I thank you for replying -and since you may be the only one who has replied to my posts- would you have any suggestions, regarding my dilemma, that I haven't thought of? I am assuming that I DO NEED to be able to pick the gold-colored lock -- in order to finish this game.....that is that gold-colored locks will play a prominent role throughout the rest of this game.

Right now, I am considering 'uninstalling' and 're-installing' Thief: Deadly Shadows.....but why would it be different this time around? It is likely that once I am able to purchase a gold-colored lock again....that I'll experience the exact same issue.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Can you upload a savegame made near one of the locks you can't pick? If you have a save from just before you bought the practice lock, please upload that too.

I'm not sure that given my current 'configuration' that there are ANY saves available for me to LOAD -other than my very last QUICK SAVE. If there WERE these saves available -RIGHT BEFORE I PURCHASE A GOLD LOCK- are you suggesting that for 'some reason'......if I go back to THESE saved games......that the gold-colored lock might be able to be 'picked?' If this is NOT what you're suggesting, do you have any OTHER suggestions?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Snobel being the author of the Sneaky Upgrade probably wants to look at your save game in the editor, in the hopes of getting to the bottom of the problem.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Unfortunately you can't load saves in T3's editor but there are other things to try. First stop would be to see if it's reproducible with a clean install.

Quote Originally Posted by Chateau-boy View Post
    I'm not sure that given my current 'configuration' that there are ANY saves available for me to LOAD -other than my very last QUICK SAVE.
    Better upload what you have. Assuming you're playing Thief 3 Gold (which you are if you installed the 'full' SU and didn't disable T3G afterwards) then do it like this: Find your saves through the Sneaky Upgrade program group in the start menu. The link is to the saves for the vanilla game, so go up one level from there. The saves are in a folder named SaveGames-T3G-1.3. Better zip up the entire folder and upload it somewhere. While you're at it, include the Options folder from the same location in the zip file.

Please first make a quick save near one of those locks - to make troubleshooting easier.

If you're not playing T3G (you can tell from the text at the bottom left of the game's menu) then include the SaveGames folder (no suffix) instead.

If there WERE these saves available -RIGHT BEFORE I PURCHASE A GOLD LOCK- are you suggesting that for 'some reason'......if I go back to THESE saved games......that the gold-colored lock might be able to be 'picked?' If this is NOT what you're suggesting, do you have any OTHER suggestions?
    Unless memory fails me, buying those locks will make lockpicking easier but they're not required - I don't remember ever buying one, thinking standard lockpicking is fast enough when you get the hang of it. So if there's a bug introduced by the lock purchase, going back and not buying the lock might work - at the expense of less efficient picking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    teacher_1 returns...OUTRAGEOUS!
    I had blissfully forgotten all about teacher_1 but ... yeah.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I am assuming that I DO NEED to be able to pick the gold-colored lock -- in order to finish this game.....that is that gold-colored locks will play a prominent role throughout the rest of this game.
    I believe practice locks are locks made strictly for practicing lockpicking in a setting with zero AI. Nothing more. I've never bought one, and have finished the game multiple times. The fact that you haven't found much info on them on the web pretty much confirms the fact that they aren't important at all.

I'm a little confused by your reply, "Brethren": ANY lock that I acquire throughout the game (metal, wood, silver, gold, etc.) is a TYPE of lock that is essential for me to be able to 'pick,' correct?

Your reply sounds like that you're inferring that the gold-colored lock is merely a 'practice lock' and NOT an essential type of lock that I won't need to 'pick'.....much less VERY OFTEN.....throughout the latter part of this game. Is it not a FACT that I DO need to pick gold-colored locks......VERY OFTEN throughout the latter part of this game -in order to pass this game?

Snobel, you commented:
    "Unless memory fails me, buying those locks will make lockpicking easier but they're not required - I don't remember ever buying one, thinking standard lockpicking is fast enough when you get the hang of it. So if there's a bug introduced by the lock purchase, going back and not buying the lock might work - at the expense of less efficient picking."

Just to clarify that we are 'understanding each other here'........basically, TO ME, it appears that you're saying that it is absolutely UNNECESSARY to buy ANY locks in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Is this, indeed, what you are stating? So, in effect, according to you, I never need to buy ANY locks at ANY point in the game? That seems very contradictory and strange. Since new locks DO become available for purchase throughout the game (they're available to be purchased in 'fences') -- why WOULDN'T it be NECESSARY to purchase new locks -as they become available- in order to be able to acquire the 'ability' to pick these locks?

So if I understand you correctly, then according to you -- I never even needed to ever purchase the gold-colored lock -once it became available for purchase. I will still theoretically have the 'ability' to pick the gold-colored lock, even if I don't buy it. Is this correct?

I've always found PRACTICE LOCKS to be a WASTE OF MONEY because you can get EXACTLY the SAME AMOUNT of PRACTICE by picking locks in MISSIONS. BIZARRE as your SITUATION is, I would suggest that it isn't GAME BREAKING unless you're totally FOCUSED on PRACTICING on the designated PRACTICE LOCKS. TDS has some STRANGE design decisions, and PRACTICE LOCKS are definitely one of them.

Also, if you're exclusively using the keyboard, that could be your problem. It's slightly slower, but using the mouse to pick locks gives you a great deal more precision. The direction keys thing was there mainly for the Xbox version (which I played a couple of years ago out of curiosity).

Sneaky Upgrader
    So if I understand you correctly, then according to you -- I never even needed to ever purchase the gold-colored lock -once it became available for purchase. I will still theoretically have the 'ability' to pick the gold-colored lock, even if I don't buy it. Is this correct?
    You don't have to buy any of the locks. They are indeed practice locks. It was my impression that buying one would speed up your lockpicking whether you practised or not but Brethren and McTaffer are probably right that they are only practice locks - allowing you to memorize the pattern before facing one in a real mission.

As McTaffer said, if you're exclusively using the keyboard for lockpicking, do try it using the mouse. But if you're sure there are unpickable locks in your game for any reason, then a savegame near one could still be useful...

I highly suspect the problem, as the others have suggested, is that you are using the arrow keys to control the direction of the pick. It works for all the other locks, but the gold ones (which are intended to be the hardest in the game) require you to use the mouse to get the pick into spots in between the usual positions that the arrow keys are capable of. If I remember correctly, a common one was in between North and North-West. Gold locks are the only locks this happens with, which is what makes me think this is the problem.

I'm 90% sure there aren't any gold locks that you need to pick in order to progress and complete the game; things with gold locks are generally just protecting areas with valuable items or loot in them, or shortcuts/alternate routes. I could be wrong about that though, it's been a couple of years since I've played Deadly Shadows,

By the way, you don't need to use quotation marks for every noun. Their purpose is for directly quoting something or someone, or when you are clarifying that something is a literal name where this might have otherwise not been clear. For example if you were talking to someone who had never played Thief you might say there are items called "water arrows" to clarify that that is the actual name for them and not just a description. After that you'd simply say water arrows, with no quotation marks, because they already know what that is. I'm just telling you this because people might interpret your overuse of quotation marks as sarcasm and think you are trying to be rude to them.

Similar concept for capitalisation.
    Last edited by Mr Art Valnades; 25th Mar 2018 at 23:31.

I didn't even know you could buy locks until about 130 hours playtime on Steam during my second full playthrough. They are most certainly totally unnecessary to progression, as I tried to explain on your Steam thread.

Unnnecessary or not.......I did an 'uninstall' and a clean full 're-install' to no avail: I still can't pick the gold lock.
    My 'hypothesis' is that for some reason the 'sneaky upgrade' is 'slightly' incompatible with my system -the gold lock is the only major unresolvable glitch.

Perhaps if I had played TDS without the sneaky upgrade, this would never have been an issue -- but I was unwilling to do this since the Sneaky Upgrade offers widescreen capabilities as well as very significant gameplay and graphical advantages -- and many useful 'tweaks' -that the BASE TDS does not offer.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Please upload a savegame near one of the locks you can't pick. (And list the mods you had enabled when making it.)

I've tried that and many other things: I've tampered with V-Sync, ALL Sneaky upgrade settings, etc.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I mean make a savegame demonstrating the problem and upload it somewhere, so that I can download it and take a look.

Unnnecessary or not.......I did an 'uninstall' and a clean full 're-install' to no avail: I still can't pick the gold lock.
    My 'hypothesis' is that for some reason the 'sneaky upgrade' is 'slightly' incompatible with my system -the gold lock is the only major unresolvable glitch.

Perhaps if I had played TDS without the sneaky upgrade, this would never have been an issue -- but I was unwilling to do this since the Sneaky Upgrade offers widescreen capabilities as well as very significant gameplay and graphical advantages -- and many useful 'tweaks' -that the BASE TDS does not offer.
    It's not major at all. I didn't even know it existed for 3 playthroughs. Why does it matter in the slightest?

As others have said, buying the gold lock doesn't affect whether or not you can pick any gold locks you find. It's just an opportunity to practice on one of them so you, the player, can learn how to do it.

You will find and be able to pick locks throughout the game regardless of whether or not you buy them.

As for being unable to pick it, have you tried moving the mouse instead of using the keys when picking, until you find the spot it starts to move at? Once there keep the mouse there, and maybe try clicking to speed it up (this doesn't always work) until the circle moves, then look for the next point.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Using the mouse has been suggested by several people in this thread already, but unless I missed it, Chateau-boy has never said yet whether he has tried it.

I've tried 'everything': The only explanation seems to be that somehow the "Sneaky Upgrade" had an incompatibility -unresolvable- with my system configuration. I might return to this game sometime in years from now -with a different computer...

Okay, but did you use the mouse dude?

Sneaky Upgrader
    And if you did, please make a save near one of the locks you can't pick, upload it somewhere and post the link here.

Edit: If you don't know how to find your saves, post again.
    Last edited by snobel; 8th May 2018 at 03:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast