TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Making an object suspicious

ZylonBane

Making an object suspicious

For the flashlight object I demonstrated here, I'd like to make it so AIs respond to seeing the beam by investigating in the direction of the player. I see there's an Engine Features/Suspicious property, but I have no idea how to use it. The AI watch property on the T2 bloodstain object looks promising, but ludicrously complex, so again, I have no idea how to make it do specifically what I want.

Any ideas?

With the Suspicious Response property on the AI you could have him Goto an object and specify 'player' as the object.

ZylonBane
    That would be a bit too much of a reaction.

I wish I knew more to help, hopefully someone with some scripting knowledge could help. I was only thinking if there was a way to spray out invisible "InstantiateSuspicious" markers that start to disappear like flenders everytime the player uses the light. Then the markers can keep adding suspicion, but if you move away from there the markers disappear so they don't 'stay' just like the light. Best wishes.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    The Suspicious system in general is rather difficult to get working. There are a few tutorials out there but I don't know which ones are reliable. You might want to use HighlySuspicious from tnhScript as it may be more reliable than the stock stuff, I don't recall. The only time I've used anything related is the AI turning lights back on in Off The Record if you want to look there. I think turning the lights off created or teleported a marker with suspicious properties near the light switch which the AI in turn reacted to seeing (it had a tiny bit of dynamic light so they could see it in the dark, perhaps?)

As for gamophyte's idea, having the light beam emit suspicious markers which die after a few seconds isn't entirely crazy if it can be done without taxing the engine or confusing the AI.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    That would be a bit too much of a reaction.
    Well you could add more steps like having the AI turn toward the player or light, make a comment about seeing something, and have him perform motions like he is about to search... Then walk to the player using a search motion tag.

With suspicious markers appearing every few seconds the AI might not react to all of them or have the suspicious response restarted as soon as he sees a new marker.

ZylonBane
    Hmm, I'd figured something as seemingly straightforward as this would have been a solved problem by now. Guess I'll poke around at the engine and see what I can come up with.