TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T1/T2 No Spiders patch (NewDark)

T1/T2 No Spiders patch (NewDark)

I am mildly arachnophobic. Some of my friends are worse off. So the spiders in Thief (especially their prevalence in TDP/TG missions) can be a bit of a hurdle to enjoying the game. Five years ago, in my first attempt to do something useful with Dromed, I made a patch—inspired by Jocke's similar patch for SS2—to remove the spiders from the game.

That version of the patch required replacing dark.gam with a modified version, so didn't play nicely with updates to the game, or with fan missions. And so I've just remade the patch now, using NewDark's dbmod thing. Which means it's much less invasive to install, hooray!

This patch makes all the spiders:

• Friendly to the player
    • Attacked by other AI
    • Have only one hit point
    • Die as soon as the level starts anyway
    • Look like a small white mossy stone
    • Invisible
    • Teleported out of the level.

Big spiders, small spiders, chaos spiders, spiderbots: all are completely gone. This works throughout the NewDark versions of Thief Gold and Thief II, and should also work for most fan missions*.

If you're interested, you can download it from Github, or check out the patch's page on my blog.

(*It's possible for an FM to create a new archetype with Spider appearance and AI without inheriting from the Spider or Spiderbeast archetypes, and this patch can't help there. I haven't run across this kind of setup, but it's definitely possible.)

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    This patch makes all the spiders:

• Friendly to the player
    • Attacked by other AI
    • Have only one hit point
    • Die as soon as the level starts anyway
    • Look like a small white mossy stone
    • Invisible
    • Teleported out of the level.
    What the shit. That isn't a patch... it's a grudge.

Yeah, I'm surprised the patch doesn't just take off and nuke them from orbit...

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148517

I, uh, think there might be some redundancy here but it's always nice to have options

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Wolf View Post
    How do you know it doesn't?

Incy Wincy is super pissed!

What the shit. That isn't a patch... it's a grudge.

Too right I have a grudge against them. I'd have used nukes if they existed in Thief

I'd have settled for merely destroying them, but that didn't work reliably (probably my ignorance of the stim/resp system), hence the teleporting.

@Independent Thief: that spider is really cute! Don't know why only some spiders bother me: it's the long spindly legs that get me, I think.

I'd have used nukes if they existed in Thief
    There's sunburst devices, and that's pretty much the same thing. I'm kind of surprised that spider spawn points aren't covered in explosive barrels with an auto-detonating sunburst in the midst of them.

I guess Spider Hider is for people who just don't want spiders around, and No Spiders Patch is for people who want all spiders to suffer and die violently.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    There's sunburst devices, and that's pretty much the same thing.
    I'm pretty sure sunburst devices aren't nuclear.

Sunbursts don't exactly split the atom, but they still annihilate anything destructible and/or alive nearby.

McTaffer: Oh, thanks for pointing out Spider Hider! I'd done some googling prior to remaking my mod as a dml, to try and see if there was already a spider-removing mod that would save me the trouble, but I didn't come across Spider Hider. Good to know it's there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tafferwocky View Post
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148517

I, uh, think there might be some redundancy here but it's always nice to have options
    McTaffer: Oh, thanks for pointing out Spider Hider! I'd done some googling prior to remaking my mod as a dml, to try and see if there was already a spider-removing mod that would save me the trouble, but I didn't come across Spider Hider. Good to know it's there too.
    Thanks, but Tafferwocky beat me to it. I actually thought originally that this was a new version of the same mod or something- I remembered that someone had made one a while back but couldn't remember who, so I just assumed it was the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    Thanks, but Tafferwocky beat me to it.
    Whoops, I'm blind. Thanks, Tafferwocky!

There was one I saw linked on reddit a while back that deleted all spiders as soon as the map loads.

ZylonBane
    Someone needs to make an all-spiders patch.

I'm vegan. Is there a patch that replaces the deer legs and chesse with yummy rutabagas and eggplant?
    Cucumbers make me gassy, maybe throw in some collard greens!