TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Nine years ago today, Thi4f was unveiled

Nine years ago today, Thi4f was unveiled

It's amazing - in the past decade only one game was produced, one that doesn't have much in common with the established lore.

Not exactly a shocker, but Eidos Montreal confirmed this morning that it's working on Thief 4, a new installment in the long-running stealth series.

Details are slim at this time, with only a logo to go on and a quote from the studio's GM, Stephane D'Astous:
    "Were in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious project and a very exciting one. It's too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make, what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market."
    This brings another sequel to Eidos, which was recently acquired by Square Enix. The "Life President" of Eidos, Ian Livingstone, also recently confirmed that new games in the Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Kane & Lynch series are also in the works across various Eidos-affiliated developers.
    https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/e...f-4/1100-1266/

I really would love to see what the development process was like, how many reiterations the game went through. Whether you enjoyed the game or not, I think the story about the making of Thief 4 would be the most interesting thing about it. Find out what went wrong and see it as a cautionary tale, especially to someone like me who works as a games programmer.

It's still mind boggling that they dumped Stephen Russell and deliberately alienated existing fans. They would have had bigger sales, it would have been to their advantage in every way. Go figure

ZylonBane
    They don't call him Stephane Disastrous for nothing.

Stephen Russell for the reboot would have been a waste. OTOH, let´s be real. They said his voice was too old for the "new" Garrett, and in this case I have to agree with them. It´s always the case with voice actors that at some point their voice has also become too old for specific characters. Stephen Russel voiced Corvo in Dishonored 2, even with some nods Thief(he also says "it´s a long way down" in the game), which sounded fine, but really, Corvo is meant to be 54, and the voice fits right in for this age.

While I dislike the reboot and say it has not only barely, but nothing in common with the original Thief lore, I have to give it to Romano Orzari that his voice acting is surprisingly good and very remeniscent of the original Garrett.
    If they had released the game in 2009, it would be another story - see the trailer - but it wasn´t the case.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKk94whlLk

Romano imo is at least on par with the better fan voices for Garrett.

The problem wasn't only the voice, but they did a 180 flip on the character. Nugarrett became just another cliché sentimental hero, the exact opposite of the character he was based on

The voice actor isn't the problem in the reboot -- the voice director is. Or whoever coached that listless, out of breath performance out of him.