TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eidos Montreal boss says no plans for new Thief games

Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    I'm almost concerned they might make another one.
    Yeah, unfortunately that's always a risk. They say no now, but who knows if in a few years they'll change their minds and do another reboot, or worse, a sequel to Nuthief

I would rather they just leave it alone. If they think they have to make another one though, I'd rather they reboot it than make "Thief 2 2". While I often criticize them for it, I'm thankful in this case that AAA companies want ALL the money. Thief didn't sell well enough for them to want to make another multi-million dollar budget game in the series, and so it might have a chance of resting in peace.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I hope they keep trying until they get it right. Either way, they can't take back the first 2 games so we're in good shape.

I've said this before, but I think one very cool possibility would be to go the Hitman route and not have one large narrative, but instead individual missions that are released episodically, each with their own story. Kind of like a series of FMs. It feels like the kind of structure where Thief could thrive. What did people like most about the last Thief game? The Bank Heist, which was the one piece of DLC they put out.

So picture like 12 of those being released over the course of a year. In January, you get to raid a Hammerite cathedral. In February, it's an ancient crypt. Then in March, you get a rooftop mission. April brings a museum heist. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    It would have to be new series anyway, the storyline themes were pretty much exhausted by the end of Thief 3, all the factions played their roles.
    Well, I agree on exhausting by TDS, because this game was bad, story- and gameplay-wise.

A new series would be ok, but shouldnīt be called Thief. Thatīs my point.

And bows are popular to this day, you can see that both in games and movies (Tomb Raider, Hunger games, etc.). Speaking of authenticity, people didn't have much stuff in medieval times, in modern times they do. It's also about the variety of locales and architectural styles. In modern times you have everything at your disposal, every architectural style and location you can think of, and plenty more types of loot.
    I donīt know much people who use torches to light their living rooms. Also nobody said that Thief is pure medieval age.

All the above affects gameplay. And if not for FMs, you wouldn't have made this post. This forum is alive because of the FMs and the fandom.
    Many old games have still a fanbase, regardless if FM exist or not. Itīs also called "fandom" for a good reasons - itīs just fans, who might have various ideas how their favorite game might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I agree with Udo, modern Thief wouldn't be Thief to me. Call it something else, that's fine, I'll play it, but it's not Thief. Even though Garrett's story is done (and the Keepers as well), the steampunk environment and structure and architecture of The City are just an amazing setting that couldn't be done in a modern era.
    That was basically my saying, yep

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyph1208 View Post
    I love how people yearn for a sequel to thier favourite game, ranting about how great it would be, etc. right up to the point where someone actually makes one, trying to make it commercially viable, end up with a shit product and then, all of the hate.
    Thief 2014 SUCKED ASS! I bought that game, out off nostalia, full price for the PS3, only finished about half of it before I just gave up... What a dissapointment... That series should have been laid to rest after Thief 2, all IP rights and source code handed over to community for safe keeping and aweaome mods and FMs... So yeah, this is good news.
    The sad thing is that the time of games like thief are gone, I work in games, and geniunely don’t think will see a game quite like it again.
    I agree on most things except for handing over the IP to fans After my share of fan fiction(Garrett and Victoria having a romance? LOL. Constantines guards are disguised ape beast? Yeah, sure) and FMs this would have been a bad idea. Maybe Arkane or Bethesda would have made something worthy the Thief IP.

And regarding a possible new game: Then vote with your wallet. We are not forced to buy it. I already ditched some successors of games I like because it was clear that the new parts were just commercial garbage. Everyone should do that.
    Last edited by Udo; 18th May 2018 at 19:55.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I hope they keep trying until they get it right. Either way, they can't take back the first 2 games so we're in good shape.
    Yup, I agree with this. Any new Thief game is so far removed from the originals that I don't feel like it's diluting them. The worst thing a new Thief game might do is take away the budget for some other Squeenix game. And while I liked the latest Deux Ex and Tomb Raider games just fine, by their second entries they did start feeling a tad formulaic and predictable. Thief meanwhile got such a bashing that they'd have to go back to the drawing board and bring us something fresh. So I'd be much more excited to see them announce a new Thief game than anything else.

RE: Episodic content. Not a bad idea! Most of the best Thief missions do already work as self-contained locations/stories, and you can still keep building a bigger mystery in the background while doing individual missions.

IMO even if we forget cowardly investor board and corporate comitees, there might be a tension between what players want and developer aspirations. Fans would probably be ok with high fidelity graphics, decent controls and good levels, while everything "Thief" could remain unchanged. No developer would want to do this (unless we're talking a remake/remaster). Devs want to make something of their own, be creative, leave a mark (even at the risk of failing miserably), and tha's why we have these fans/devs wars. Fans accuse devs of "betraying" the franchise, devs think fans are too narrow-minded, etc.

RE: Episodic content. Not a bad idea!
    Actually that made me skip Hitman untill they released all the missions, so I'm not so sure about that. The game was a "financial failure", probably because of SE overblown expectations, but I wonder if not also because people like me, who didn't buy the game until all episodes were made. For fan missions, sure, I don't mind, but I bet there are quite a few people who prefer some kind of "complete package", so their FOMA doesn't kick in

Sad, in a way. Teef was mismanaged from the outset. Some of the stories of the behind-the-scenes turmoil (Mario Aguera being fired, d'Astous leaving over the Square Enix micromanagement) speak to this.
    It's a shame it didn't have the same 2-3 year Square Enix-free grace period Deus Ex: Human Revolution enjoyed. It would doubtless have been a much better game.
    The IP is basically valueless to Square now. Sell it back to Otherside and move on.

It did serve one very important function, however:
    It showed the anti-Deadly Shadows people how much worse it could have been.

It's especially sad when you think of how, from tech perspective, these two games were polar opposites. TDS (and DX:IW) had a severely crippled engine as a base, and at least TDS came out halfway decent. Thief reboot had perfect environment, fully functional UE3, yet we got a bland turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spandex View Post
    The IP is basically valueless to Square now. Sell it back to Otherside and move on.
    Yeah, there's no way Thief 5 would sell as well as 4 did. The biggest advantage it had was it came out early in the current console life cycle and people were really looking for games for the new machines. But now that time has passed, not to mention Dishonored 2 came out and blew Thief 4 out of the water, there's just no place in the AAA scene for a 5th Thief game.

They will never sell the IP (at least at a price that Otherside could afford). The most you can hope for is licensing. Also, Otherside doesn't seem to be interested in doing Thief, from what they've said. They might do another stealth game, though.

Interesting. :P I suppose this pretty much confirms those rumours of a live-action Thief film are now irrelevant as well.

Concerning Eidos montreal, I hope they can keep improving as a studio and making good games, there is talent there. But with the current leadership of Square Enix, I have my doubts. Especially in light of how Deus Ex was also apparently put on a hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    I would rather they just leave it alone. If they think they have to make another one though, I'd rather they reboot it than make "Thief 2 2". While I often criticize them for it, I'm thankful in this case that AAA companies want ALL the money. Thief didn't sell well enough for them to want to make another multi-million dollar budget game in the series, and so it might have a chance of resting in peace.
    Well said.

It's especially sad when you think of how, from tech perspective, these two games were polar opposites. TDS (and DX:IW) had a severely crippled engine as a base, and at least TDS came out halfway decent. Thief reboot had perfect environment, fully functional UE3, yet we got a bland turd.
    Gaming history is not without its ironies.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spandex View Post
    Sad, in a way. Teef was mismanaged from the outset. Some of the stories of the behind-the-scenes turmoil (Mario Aguera being fired, d'Astous leaving over the Square Enix micromanagement) speak to this.
    It's a shame it didn't have the same 2-3 year Square Enix-free grace period Deus Ex: Human Revolution enjoyed. It would doubtless have been a much better game.

It did serve one very important function, however:
    It showed the anti-Deadly Shadows people how much worse it could have been.
    Spot on, absolutely spot on. Even before the game came out, I was really worried about its quality, given how development had been handled ever since the 2009 announcement of the new game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechs Delight View Post
    a worthy fan-made successor in The Dark Mod
    Hear, hear.
    Last edited by Petike the Taffer; 23rd May 2018 at 15:35.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Petike the Taffer View Post
    Interesting. :P I suppose this pretty much confirms those rumours of a live-action Thief film are now irrelevant as well.
    Why? The company making the movie is completely separate from SE/EM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12