TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who were about 12-15 in 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Udo View Post
    Some series are most likely dead(sometimes with a very unpleasant revival) like Dungeon Keeper.
    The newest "real" Dungeon Keeper game (the mobile one) is a farce. I can't speak to the Dungeons series, as I haven't played it, but War for the Overworld may as well be Dungeon Keeper 3 (okay, Dungeon Keeper 2.5). Sure it's not "real" Dungeon Keeper, but the feel is there. The atmosphere, the story, and the acting (especially Richard Ridings's performance) make it feel like a true successor. Bullfrog may be dead, but the legacy lives on.

Really? If you like all of them, ok, but some of these games are already the stuff that mainly caters the todays casual players. (sometimes itīs surely just a matter of taste)
    Oblivion was too casualised(although it was fun), but Skyrim? I canīt take a game serious where I can become archmage with zero mage stats(and then the other members still treat me like some rookie). In Oblivion I needed at least real stealth stats to solve the quests for Dark Brotherhood and Thieves.
    I didn't say anything about playing Oblivion or Skyrim without mods, unless you have a masochistic streak...

Also TDS was already a major letdown. Sure, with the reboot around it seems to ok, but it is symptomatical for the demise of classic games. At some point we had too much catering casuals, too much compromises to release games on many platforms, too polished settings.
    Yes it was, mainly due to engine and console limitations, but the movement system was also clunky as hell (still is). Install TDS with the gold patch, you might find it's more enjoyable than you remember. Or perhaps I'm just nostalgic as it's the first Thief game I managed to finish when I was in middle school. Not as good as the originals, but it actually manages to improve on the formula in a few ways. Quieter tap shoes, a progressive inventory, improved ai, no large clunky sword so you were basically screwed in close combat (as it should be). Plus there are some very good fan missions for TDS that really push the engine, showing off what could have been. The Cabal is well worth playing, as is Thief's Rising.

In general:

Itīs an issue that many series suffer, even with the original developers. Diablo III was a joke compared to 1&2. Some series are most likely dead(sometimes with a very unpleasant revival) like Dungeon Keeper, and Iīm pretty sure we will never see any new part of the classic Westwood series(Kyrandia, Lands of Lore).

Yeah, I recently discovered the Dungeon Keeper series and it quickly became one of my favorites. I actually enjoy DK2 significantly more than the first game, mainly due to the improved visuals and smoothness, and the personalities of the creatures. War for the Overworld is alright, but it seems like it is missing something in the visual and audible presentation that made DK2 so enjoyable. Can't comment on Diablo, I've never had much interest in that sort of game.

What I also dislike that most today games have become too shiny. I miss the grim feeling of games from the first half of the 90ties. Even if there are new games they are often too colourful stuff(Diablo III, again bleh). Also I want a game really to feel like a game, not an interactive movie. Iīm tired of seeing nonsense like lens flare effects or pseudo-realistic moving protagonists. Or overdramatic battle music when a fight is about to start. Or a streamlined story/setting to appease political correctness and SJW.
    Yeah, I tend to disable lens flare and dof effects, but I'm going to have to disagree with your mocap criticism, particularly as Thief 1 & 2 feature some rather revolutionary (at the time) motion capture technology

Dark Souls might be one expection and one of the most interesting series from the last years. Still, itīs only one gaming series. Would be nice to have more.
    I made a list for you bro, at this point your just being subjective and needlessly throwing turds. You are allowed to remain in the 90's, it's okay, no one is going to take away your woodgrain 486 and crt monitor grandpa
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbjYkPKRm-8
    Last edited by mikjames; 29th May 2018 at 22:58.

Quote Originally Posted by mikjames View Post
    I made a list for you bro, at this point your just being subjective and needlessly throwing turds. You are allowed to remain in the 90's, it's okay, no one is going to take away your woodgrain 486 and crt monitor grandpa
    Haha! I pretty much had the exact PC in the video you linked. It was a Quantex Pentium (586) 90 MHz from 1993 and cost around $4,400 back then or ~$7,500 today. Still needed the Voodoo PCI card to get 3D acceleration, another ~$500 adjusted for 2018. I remember pressing the "turbo" button and the digital display would go from "90" MHz to "110" MHz. Cragscleft still took 2-3 minutes to load though. No thanks, let those nostalgic moments remain in the past where they exist. The ability to load any level in under 5 seconds and also thanks to this great community of taffers I can play Thief in 3440x1440, which is more immersive than any superior "black level" offered up by a Trinitron CRT. Besides, my eyes are getting older and I think going back to a CRT screen would make the strain on my eyes worse. To hell with any "purist" of the old ways, the truth is we are so much better off today it is not even funny. When people deny this fact in respect to the obvious benefits offered through technological advancement and what has come of this community and all its tweaks and development of FM's in time, etc., therein lies the true "Golden Age" fallacy. This series has aged for the better.
    Last edited by Naked; 30th May 2018 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked View Post
    Haha! I pretty much had the exact PC in the video you linked. It was a Quantex Pentium (586) 90 MHz from 1993 and cost around $4,400 back then or ~$7,500 today. Still needed the Voodoo PCI card to get 3D acceleration, another ~$500 adjusted for 2018. I remember pressing the "turbo" button and the digital display would go from "90" MHz to "110" MHz. Cragscleft still took 2-3 minutes to load though. No thanks, let those nostalgic moments remain in the past where they exist. The ability to load any level in under 5 seconds and also thanks to this great community of taffers I can play Thief in 3440x1440, which is more immersive than any superior "black level" offered up by a Trinitron CRT. Besides, my eyes are getting older and I think going back to a CRT screen would make the strain on my eyes worse. To hell with any "purist" of the old ways, the truth is we are so much better off today it is not even funny. When people deny this fact in respect to the obvious benefits offered through technological advancement and what has come of this community and all its tweaks and development of FM's in time, etc., therein lies the true "Golden Age" fallacy. This series has aged for the better.
    I'm not that old, but I like his stuff. My first machine was an Amd K6-2 500, I unfortunately never figured out what 3d acceleration was when I was a kid, I was always peeved that I couldn't play Thief Dark Project on anything other than software mode, and Thief 2 dropped the software mode

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    The newest "real" Dungeon Keeper game (the mobile one) is a farce. I can't speak to the Dungeons series, as I haven't played it, but War for the Overworld may as well be Dungeon Keeper 3 (okay, Dungeon Keeper 2.5). Sure it's not "real" Dungeon Keeper, but the feel is there. The atmosphere, the story, and the acting (especially Richard Ridings's performance) make it feel like a true successor. Bullfrog may be dead, but the legacy lives on.
    That was what I referred as "unpleasant revival". This mobile game is - mildy said - a joke.

Dungeons, I got Dungeons 2 for free on GOG, but have to say Iīm not that pleased with it. Too much overdone humour(the narrator is the same as from the Stanley Parable - while he was funny there in Dungeons 2 he is just annoying) and gameplay-wise also not that good.
    WftO is in my Steam library - havenīt tested it yet, but seems promising.

I didn't say anything about playing Oblivion or Skyrim without mods, unless you have a masochistic streak...
    LOL
    I think Oblivion with Shivering Isles can be fun regardless of mods or not. Skyrim...well, I havenīt touched it now for some years. And I guess you canīt mod a rather soso main storyline.

Yes it was, mainly due to engine and console limitations, but the movement system was also clunky as hell (still is). Install TDS with the gold patch, you might find it's more enjoyable than you remember. Or perhaps I'm just nostalgic as it's the first Thief game I managed to finish when I was in middle school. Not as good as the originals, but it actually manages to improve on the formula in a few ways. Quieter tap shoes, a progressive inventory, improved ai, no large clunky sword so you were basically screwed in close combat (as it should be). Plus there are some very good fan missions for TDS that really push the engine, showing off what could have been. The Cabal is well worth playing, as is Thief's Rising.
    I know about the Gold patch, especially the removal of load zones is a good thing.
    For me TDS was and will be always some kind of disappointment - some things are likable, but overall it feels too limited.

Yeah, I recently discovered the Dungeon Keeper series and it quickly became one of my favorites. I actually enjoy DK2 significantly more than the first game, mainly due to the improved visuals and smoothness, and the personalities of the creatures. War for the Overworld is alright, but it seems like it is missing something in the visual and audible presentation that made DK2 so enjoyable. Can't comment on Diablo, I've never had much interest in that sort of game.
    Well, then it is a matter of taste again. I never liked DK2 that much, like many games from that period it suffers from horrible first generation 3D graphics. Butīs that is the lesser evil - I never liked the overdone humour and how some creatures were changed, others removed.
    DK1 OTOH is one of my all-time favourites - and with the masses of fan campaigns and maps(some of them relying on original bugs, like Ancient Keeper) and still working on the FX mod a longtime fun.

Hack & Slay might not be everyones genre, thatīs ok. Mostly itīs appealing for people that want to collect a lot of items and level their character up to L100. For me Torchlight is a spiritual successor of Diablo 1 - itīs not as grim and the different is as well, different, but some of the original Diablo creators are involved.

Yeah, I tend to disable lens flare and dof effects, but I'm going to have to disagree with your mocap criticism, particularly as Thief 1 & 2 feature some rather revolutionary (at the time) motion capture technology
    Maybe my post was a bit misunderstandable(as english is not my native language), but my main concern is the movement of newer games. See the reboot - I actually donīt want the players view to shake when moving or running. Some might find that appealing - not me.

Your interpretation of my post is a bit on the wrong side Also I never wrote I only play 90ties games - I stated that for me the first decade(especially the first half of it) had a lot of great games(and of course there was also garbage in the 90ties as well!). And that some indie games of the last years are a nice addition to the gaming world. But comparing the eras I rarely see any innovation. Just my opinion.
    I ditched CRTs forever in 2004 - be sure that this one thing I donīt miss from that era(and my eyes neither).

Oh, and how could I forget about Cyperpunk 2077! I don't think it will be anything revolutionary, as the sci-fi theme already been done in System Shock, Deus Ex, and Prey, but I expect they will surpass them in the same way that Witcher 3 surpassed modern Elder Scrolls games.

LOL
    I think Oblivion with Shivering Isles can be fun regardless of mods or not. Skyrim...well, I havenīt touched it now for some years. And I guess you canīt mod a rather soso main storyline.
    No of course not, but don't tell these guys attempting to do exactly that, they've put a lot of effort into nothing: https://enderal.com/, https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...ories/35/?BH=0

I never liked DK2 that much, like many games from that period it suffers from horrible first generation 3D graphics.
    Right, I'd much rather have the fuzzy 2d graphics, and jerky mouse movements in DK1.

See the reboot - I actually donīt want the players view to shake when moving or running. Some might find that appealing - not me.
    Right, and that's a fair criticism of Thief 2014 with it's incessant bunny hopping camera, the whole game is steaming pile of ... in nearly every aspect, gameplay, story, audio. Thief 2014 isn't just a bad Thief game, it's a bad game. Your criticism is not valid for games like Dishonored, Styx, Splinter Cell. The only other jumpy first person camera I can recall is the one in Alien Isolation, not sure if that can be toned down or not. The reality is, heads bob up and down to some degree when moving quickly, people don't skate across the ground in one directional plane of motion. Camera bobbing can be excessive, and good games allow you to adjust it, but criticizing it's existence is a criticism of human biology.

Oh, and how could I forget about Cyperpunk 2077! I don't think it will be anything revolutionary, as the sci-fi theme already been done in System Shock, Deus Ex, and Prey, but I expect they will surpass them in the same way that Witcher 3 surpassed modern Elder Scrolls games.
    Well, there arenīt many different setting we see nowadays(and even 20 years ago), maybe because trying something is seen as risky.

No of course not, but don't tell these guys attempting to do exactly that, they've put a lot of effort into nothing: https://enderal.com/, https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...ories/35/?BH=0
    At the moment Iīm not much interested in TES, regardless of mods. Maybe I look at that later, but not for now.

Right, I'd much rather have the fuzzy 2d graphics, and jerky mouse movements in DK1.
    I have no such issues with DK1 Sure the graphics arenīt the best, but I donīt care much about that, it works for me. I also have no issues with the mouse. Maybe not everyone is used to 20fps(which is the default speed of the game).

Right, and that's a fair criticism of Thief 2014 with it's incessant bunny hopping camera, the whole game is steaming pile of ... in nearly every aspect, gameplay, story, audio. Thief 2014 isn't just a bad Thief game, it's a bad game. Your criticism is not valid for games like Dishonored, Styx, Splinter Cell. The only other jumpy first person camera I can recall is the one in Alien Isolation, not sure if that can be toned down or not. The reality is, heads bob up and down to some degree when moving quickly, people don't skate across the ground in one directional plane of motion. Camera bobbing can be excessive, and good games allow you to adjust it, but criticizing it's existence is a criticism of human biology.
    I call Thief 2014 even worse than dung, because dung can be used to fertilize soil .
    Again you misunderstood me - I donīt say that these games are bad just for these reasons. Having this kind of movement or the omnipresent quest marker is ok for me as a compromise when the rest of the game is good.
    Yeah, but then I say again: Video games are video games and shouldnīt try to mimic real life too much. Aside this, human biology is imperfect shit. If video games have unrealistic forms of life, why not. In most videogames humans are weak and mortal meatbags(just like in reality), being inferior to other species. Being some superstrong orc, an immortal slim elf with magic abilites or at least overcoming human weaknesses as a mage is one of the appeals to play games I say .

Yeah, but then I say again: Video games are video games and shouldnīt try to mimic real life too much. Aside this, human biology is imperfect shit. If video games have unrealistic forms of life, why not. In most videogames humans are weak and mortal meatbags(just like in reality), being inferior to other species. Being some superstrong orc, an immortal slim elf with magic abilites or at least overcoming human weaknesses as a mage is one of the appeals to play games I say .
    I disagree. Yes, there should be games with science fiction and the likes, but that's the main reason I like gta so much. It just makes it seem like real life, and I can let out my inner criminal. Sometimes I just have fun driving around trucking and stopping to bang whores on the side of the road haha

Well, there arenīt many different setting we see nowadays(and even 20 years ago), maybe because trying something is seen as risky.

At the moment Iīm not much interested in TES, regardless of mods. Maybe I look at that later, but not for now.

I have no such issues with DK1 Sure the graphics arenīt the best, but I donīt care much about that, it works for me. I also have no issues with the mouse. Maybe not everyone is used to 20fps(which is the default speed of the game).

I call Thief 2014 even worse than dung, because dung can be used to fertilize soil .
    Again you misunderstood me - I donīt say that these games are bad just for these reasons. Having this kind of movement or the omnipresent quest marker is ok for me as a compromise when the rest of the game is good.
    Right, its all just a big misunderstanding on my part. I'm catching on now

I get what you mean OP. I was only 10 when Thief came out, but in my teenage years I definitely had this feeling that the future of games was going to be absolutely mindblowing. There were so many games pushing boundaries then. I can't say the future has quite lived up to my expectations.

There are definitely gems from the past 20 years, no question, even if the bulk of games coming out these days don't interest me so much. But I don't mind because I don't have the time I once did and there's certainly enough cool games from the past I've never even played to last me well into retirement.

When I pick a new game to play it's usually a game or franchise I missed out on in my youth rather than something new. So much good has come out it's hard not to have avenues to explore and it's way cheaper than buying into new franchises.

Mainly, I think a lot of the older games were made by devs who created games they actually wanted to play whereas now the bulk of game dev is about appealing to the lowest common denominator.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 7th Jun 2018 at 07:18.

I was born in 1986. This means I was exactly 12 y.old when Thief-DP came out. But actually started playing in 2001-2002. Still part of my teenage years. And I played, and then replayed the game all the time.

When Thief 4 came out in 2014, this was the first game of the series I played when I was fully grown up. Still, I wasn't disappointed (that much). I guess I got accustomed to modern trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    I was born in 1986. This means I was exactly 12 y.old when Thief-DP came out. But actually started playing in 2001-2002. Still part of my teenage years. And I played, and then replayed the game all the time.

When Thief 4 came out in 2014, this was the first game of the series I played when I was fully grown up. Still, I wasn't disappointed (that much). I guess I got accustomed to modern trends.
    Same here... Including birth year. Except that I couldn't find the new thief interesting at all. Felt like such a joke...

The secret for me was to treat Thiaf as a separate game. Okay, even before releasing it I knew that the lore was crap and they were trashing the Hammerites and the Pagans. So my expectations were quite low. In the end, the story was indeed horrendous, but I think it was due to the development hell the game went through - I assume many people wrote on it, some gave up and left. But there were some marvelous missions - the Blossom, the Baron's mansion, the Keeper library... and the bank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12