TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Custom lamp object always appears lit

Custom lamp object always appears lit

Hey everyone,

For my next mission I changed the default texture of ELECLMIN (The sewer-like wall lamp) and created it as a new object.
    I was able to add it to my map without problems, but even when the lamp is off, the texture is still entirely bright! Other objects appear fine. It doesn't respond to my switch. The light goes on and off, but the texture is always lit.

Any ideas how to make the object go dark when the lamp is off? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've already tried to set Self Luminance to 0.00, no difference.

The new texture for the object is in .png format
    Last edited by Niborius; 30th May 2018 at 13:48.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Remove the light property and set up animlight instead.

I've removed the light property already and set up animlight (I should've mentioned that). The switch works fine, it's just that the texture of the lamp itself remains lit.

Zombified
    renderer/self illuminated should control this, assuming the model is ready for this.

Try setting self-illumination to -1 instead of 0.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    My guess is, if you have the AnimLight property and script being used properly, then the model probably lacks the ILLUM property on the bulb part of the texture, which is required for this to work. If you change to a model which is known to work, does it work with your setup?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    You can open ELECLMIN.bin with a hex editor and note the textures used there.
    You can find better textures (rustlghb, towarm...) for this object in ep2

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141621

I believe Russ is right about this. How did you change the texture and how did you create the new object? Anim8or? The easiest way to fix this is to load the .e file with notepad and add ILLUM 100 to the specific line for the texture that needs illuminating, and then use etobin to make your new object again. For future reference some objects might use the same texture more than once on the same object... One instance is illuminated or transparent while another is not. For me when I first made an animated light it helped me to look at .e file of stock animated lights so I could make sure I got the syntax correct in my .e file.

Sorry for the late reply on my end. I read the posts but barely had the time to respond.

The way I did this is what was already mentioned before, use a hex editor to find out which textures are being used by the object, then replace it with a texture of mine (with the same length name).

I really think this is about the ILLUM part. Once I get home I will try this out. Thanks!

Apparently my object was broken for some reason, I couldn't find out why though. I created a new object (different model but also one with a texture that is lit when the light is on) and it's working perfectly. I did have to add Self Illuminance to 0.

Thanks for the quick help guys

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    My guess is ... the model probably lacks the ILLUM property on the bulb part of the texture, which is required for this to work. If you change to a model which is known to work, does it work with your setup?
    ahem

That's not what I meant, no part of the model would go dark at all, let alone the bulb part of the texture. So there were 2 issues at once. Changing the model did not work, I created a new object in dromed altogether.

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying.

No problem, honestly I wasn't very clear in my post.

I'd never ignore your advice