TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Replaying Thief series after years of hiatus :)

Replaying Thief series after years of hiatus :)

So it happened - I'm replaying the official Thief series : Starting from Thief Gold, Thief 2, Thief: Deadly Shadows and Thi4f.

It's an interesting experience. I found out I forgot basic shortcuts about simple maps like Lord Bafford's manor.

Now it's the time to share two secrets. The first one is that in the very beginning I only had Thief: The Dark Project. Thief Gold is (almost) a new experience to me (now, it's quite the irony I released a T2G-based fan mission, right?). And I'm currently running in the Thieves Guild like a headless chicken. Okay, I played Thief Gold once or twice in the past, but I mostly skipped through the additional missions.

The second secret: I never completed Soulforge Cathedral.

Surprised?

But I'm quite determined to complete all of the campaigns this time.

Never completed Soulforge Cathedral either. Personally, I think that the very last missions in all three Thief games aren't that interesting in terms of gameplay. Into the Maw of Chaos could have been longer and less linear, Soulforge Cathedral is just painfully boring (another Mechanists-themed mission?! come on...) and difficult, and the end of Deadly Shadows was more like an unwanted chore.

Considering the Mechanists are the main antagonists in the game, who were you expecting in the inevitable showdown final level? Dr Eggman in a tinfoil hat?

I'm still stuck in Thieves Guild. Looking for Donal's house. Stuck in walkthroughs... and endlessly frustrated. 1:33 game time.

Perhaps it's time to move on from Thief, I'll see how I'll feel after some more hours of play. I'm too accustomed to games with hints, addons, quest trackers. The 90s are long gone, and I'm living in the age of instant gratification...

Later edit: Luckily Youtube works for me Found the mansion and back on track...
    Last edited by Bulgarian_Taffer; 9th Jun 2018 at 17:42.

The Thief Gold missions are really cool. Song of the Caverns felt like an early version of the kind of major heist missions like First Bank and Trust that you got in Thief II, and the Mage Towers mission gives you a different flavour to anything else in the game, sort of a mixture of the pagan magic stuff with a more traditional mansion or fortress-style format. Also, there is a massive cool new area in The Sword and a couple of other (smaller) bonuses scattered around.

Just completed Thieves Guild on normal. Grueling 1 hour 47 minutes. 2261 out of 2716 loot. 18 killed (yes, I'm not gentle when I play on normal).

Oh my God.

Still, I liked the general idea of the mission. Gives me some ideas about future missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    Considering the Mechanists are the main antagonists in the game, who were you expecting in the inevitable showdown final level? Dr Eggman in a tinfoil hat?

Quote Originally Posted by Naartjie View Post
    The Thief Gold missions are really cool. Song of the Caverns felt like an early version of the kind of major heist missions like First Bank and Trust that you got in Thief II, and the Mage Towers mission gives you a different flavour to anything else in the game, sort of a mixture of the pagan magic stuff with a more traditional mansion or fortress-style format. Also, there is a massive cool new area in The Sword and a couple of other (smaller) bonuses scattered around.
    Currently playing the Sword. What's the new area? I went to the garden and I saw a small area with mock-up houses. Is that new?

Update: The Sword was easy. I enjoyed the room with small houses, then I swam through another chapter with big furniture and an enormous bed, full of spiders Don't know if it's an addition to Thief Gold or exited before, but never saw.

Then I proceeded to the Haunted Cathedral. Was easy for me - I remembered most of the things, and completed it in no time.

And then... the Mage Tower. I expected that it was to be the Lost City, but nah... another filler level. Spent grueling 1 hour 31 minutes on Normal. Unlocked all towers and stole talisman. Innocent killed: none and others killed : 32... 32!!! Level complete.

I wonder what's next for me.

Update: The Lost City is boring. That's why I decided to skip it with two speed potions. One potion: grab the talisman of fire. Second potion: jump back to entrance. Level complete.

Then I played Song of the Cavern.

Oh my.

So great!

I really loved the Opera! It's already about to become one of my favorite TG levels.

Then I played Undercover, and now I'm on RTC.

Yeah, the opera house level is Terri Brosius's finest work. It alone makes Thief Gold worth it. I often skip Thieves' Guild and sometimes Mage Towers, but never Song of the Caverns. One of my favourite levels in the game along with Sword and RttC.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Funny how tastes differ. The Lost City is one of my faves from any of the Thief games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Funny how tastes differ. The Lost City is one of my faves from any of the Thief games.
    Agree.
    I even find it "romantic" despite the mystery.

my opinion is you should play thief 1,thief 2,thief 3

i feel thief gold ruined the levels on lost city,yes i agree the 3 extra levels were nice but since magic was done away with mage level was kinda no use,and caverns was decent but not my style of mission and thieves guild i liked but would have been better if the thieves were on opposite sides of a city,the den did not do it for me,hence why i like thief 1 better

thief 2 i liked all but for the double mansion mission was cheap and ruined the second mansion mission when done in my view

thief 3 great story,but the engine omg no swimming no rope arrows, and sluggish movements for nothing more then better graphics=you got to be kidding me,that is why i don't like next gen games,its like they all play like special Olympics but look great.

over all thief 3 should be remade into thief 2 new dark,i would bet $1k even with less then graphic's it would be a better game then thief 3 as is=controlling Garrett is one of the most important things that made thief great

final view thief fan missions are the best part of thief now the om's for me are played out

My all-time favourite level is probably Life of the Party, but there are many to choose from.

Not since 1999

I haven't played TDP since 1999. I just started Bafford's in TG after a 19 year hiatus and it is...awesome, again! Going to take my time and soak it all in. Thief 2 will be next

Update: Yesterday I countinued with Return to Cathedral (Normal). It was quite cool and not as scary as I remember it. Brother Murus was quite helpful and crazy as always.

I also completed "Escape!". This means, I have about two more missions. The least favorite part of Thief 1.

Today I completed Thief 1. My favourite game of all times. It was like a pilgrimage, and I enjoyed it very much. The Maw also gave me an idea for future missions. I've always made Hammer temples, but never gave up on my dreams about a maw mission.

But for now... I look forward to playing Thief 2 and completing all levels normally,without cheating. If I beat the game to Soulforge - that would be an achievement.

Update: Yesterday I also started playing Thief 2 on Normal, with the intention to finish the game for a first time fully

I completed whole five levels, OMG! Interference, Receiving, Framed, Ambush and Eavesdropping. Stopped on First city bank.

In the past I thought that Receiving is boring, too bland and ugly... and boxy. Yet I somehow enjoyed it. Gathered the loot quickly.

Ambush also took less time for me than expected. In the past I got frequently lost there, but now I found the way quickly.

Eavesdropping... Eavesdropping was one of my favourite Mechanist missions in the past. Yet I didn't linger in the seminary. I found the key quickly - it was the first I looted.

...continuing today!

My personal update: During the last two days the missions I completed were: First City Bank and Trust, Blackmail, Trace the Courier,Trail of Blood, Life of the Party, Precious Cargo. Stopped at the beginning of Kidnap.

Now I remember why Life of the Party was my top favourite mission! Rooftops, a huge castle, excellent places to hide.

I think it was Cargo when in the past I got bored of the game. This time I completed it fully. Oh my god... it's goddamn awful! Spent almost a hour there. Where was the new scripture of the Master Builder? The rust gas? What a maze! Aaaaaaaaaaah!

It's so good there are excellent walkthroughs around, but it was still too hard to complete...

EDIT: Late evening update.

I completed the Kidnap, and the two Mask mission. Now the final one comes: Soulforge.

I am very annoyed at the thought to play it.... and tempted to skip it once again. But for now, a period of watching walkthroughs comes for me (thank you, Youtube)... a decision will be made soon.
    Last edited by Bulgarian_Taffer; 16th Jun 2018 at 17:17.

Amazingly! Today I completed for a first time in my life Soulforge Cathedral!

On Normal, of course. And I found it to be much easier than I feared.

I watched a single Walkthrough on Youtube, then everything was crystal clear. The machinery scared me in the past, but I found out that forging the Beacon was pretty straightforward and linear. First one machine, then second, then third. The Youtube video helped me where to place the beacon.

The hardest thing of the level was configuring the towers. Since I played on Normal, only 5 out of 8 towers had to be configured. This allowed me to skip some parts of the game - I mean, the turret room. It was too hard for me. Left the place.

But I had to find my way through a place full of robots. Interestingly, I beated them with 4 frogbeasts. The frogbeasts packed all robots in a single place, and they got deactivated.

So... it is a great achievement for me, and I recommend everyone to play Soulforge at least once.

Update: Today, after three days of playing, I completed Thief: Deadly Shadows on Normal.

I still find this game amazing. In fact, in the past I enjoyed TDS more than TMA. I always felt that Thief should be medieval, dark, while TMA went too modern and Victorian. And I always loved Hammerites most, and no hammerites in TMA, so yeah...

Now, there's only one official game I have to play.

Teh Teef.

Teh Reboot.

Teh NuGarrett.

In the past I remember I enjoyed it more, but I still don't know how I'll feel when I play it after my TG-TMA-TDS marathon.

Update: I started playing Thief 2014 yesterday and I passed through Lockdown, the Foundry and meeting with Orion guy. Stopped temporarily before the brothel mission.

The key to enjoying the new game was turning on settings to max. Recently I did a radical upgrade on my computer, adding DDR4 8 GB ram, brand new Pentium G4600 CPU (produced last year), a new motherboard.

This allows me to play the game almost on top settings.

And it's wise doing so. Thief 2014 can't offer much in terms of story. But the visuals are great... I treat the game just like I treat modern sequels of favorite movie series. Most of the modern movies offer great visual effects, WoW! moments at the cinema, but they lack good story. My eyes are satiated, but my brain is hungry.

This is so far the case with Thief 2014. Having good time with robbing things from the city, enjoying the majestic atmosphere, but... nothing more.