TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOOM Eternal

Zombified
    the insane amount of vertical agility is the one thing about new Doom(s) I absolutely hate - as mentioned, this isn't supposed to be Quake 3 Arena, or Tomb Raider, or Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, or Bionic Commando, or Mirror's Edge, it's Doom, you run around like crazy and gun down monsters, end of story. not opposed to a little jump here and there (I've actually welcomed the ability to jump a bit most source ports add), but stay away form all the acrobatics, would you kindly.

Moderator and Priest
    It doesn't bother me too much. The major emphasis is still on shooting lots and lots of monsters while trying not to get shot yourself. A few extra ways to navigate your environments doesn't do much to muddy that basic formula for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    What the fuck, this is Doom, not Tomb Raider.
    DOOM Raider?

Just in case, here's a better video that only has the DOOM stuff.

04:36 - 11:43 --- Hell on Earth part1
    12:28 - 15:17 --- Hell on Earth part2 (PC controls)
    16:38 - 17:38 --- Environments
    18:14 - 25:05 --- Phobos

Quote Originally Posted by Buccura View Post
    I for one welcome the increased movement and verticality, since DOOM is all about movement.
    I'd argue that this new Doom is more Quake-like in it's speedy movement. Now note that I'm referring to how Quake 1 was, when I say that. Not the later Quakes.

Doom 1 & 2 were very speedy games, but Quake 1 was even more so. Watching the video made me think of Quake 1. I will say that Doom Eternal looks great. The level their going into with the plot and lore is excellent. The way the guy was controlling the player though at some points nearly gave me motion sickness, and I practically NEVER get that watching gameplay videos. He was just flicking his view all over the place.

PS: The Rage gameplay (some of which was shown at E3) which is on before the Doom Eternal bits in that video, looks excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    the insane amount of vertical agility is the one thing about new Doom(s) I absolutely hate - as mentioned, this isn't supposed to be Quake 3 Arena, or Tomb Raider, or Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, or Bionic Commando, or Mirror's Edge, it's Doom, you run around like crazy and gun down monsters, end of story. not opposed to a little jump here and there (I've actually welcomed the ability to jump a bit most source ports add), but stay away form all the acrobatics, would you kindly.
    Seconded.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

LMAO!

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I'd argue that this new Doom is more Quake-like in it's speedy movement. Now note that I'm referring to how Quake 1 was, when I say that. Not the later Quakes.
    The grappling hook attachment for the Super Shotgun is straight out of Threewave CTF for Quake.

Modern Doom is very much post-SgtMarkIV, like it or not. Personally I think that Brutal Doom is fantastic and that Project Brutality is even better, so official modern Doom being full 14-year-old Monster Energy fuelled edgelord is fine by me.

OG Doom 1/2/3 is readily available on Steam and GOG for purchase. Everybody is catered to.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Doom 1 & 2 were very speedy games, but Quake 1 was even more so.
    Ummm...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Romero
    John Carmack decided that we could get more gameplay out of the levels if he slowed down the player's running speed. In DOOM the player went at crazy-fast speeds and it was incredible. In DOOM we could make huge maps and player speed was not a problem. With Quake's maps, the hallways, rooms, and outdoor areas were all smaller because of the file size. So slowing down the player meant it took longer to finish a level, and longer to finish the game overall.
    https://rome.ro/quakes-player-speed-1/

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    LMAO!
    That's goddamn hilarious!

...then I saw the videos on the hoster's Youtube page, and it became EVEN MORE HILARIOUS!

That screaming and yelling at every high jump, melee kill or explosion was real or fake? It almost feels like E3 level of cringe.

The Doom Eternal controversy that wasn't:

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    The Doom Eternal controversy that wasn't:

TLDR: Shaun is right in every way, but I'm doubling down anyways, because muh culture war. Also, racemixing bad and part of a globalist conspiracy, apparently.

Eva's gone off the edge lately.

Chakat sex pillow
    Lately?

I probably just haven't been paying enough attention.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Wonder how many other sites he bots as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12