TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 2D Thief Demake

Clearinghouse

2D Thief Demake

http://www.sammorris.info
    Demake of the Looking Glass classic, Thief. I was responsible for the second pass player physics and stealth systems. Created for MSc Commercial Games Development 2017/2018.

Where can I download it?

Sam Morris email is sam(at)elitetreacle.com & the person giving the course is Simon.Scarle(at)uwe.ac.uk you could try emailing either of them

Simon Scarle's bio https://people.uwe.ac.uk/Person/SimonScarle

Uh, wow okay, didn't think people would take notice of me updating my portfolio, but here we are...

The Thief IID demo was made for a gamejam on my masters degree, and is a fairly basic approximation of the core gameplay in 2D; we've got the light gem, water arrows, the blackjack, with a couple bits added to make platforming more satisfying (wall-hanging and wall-jumping). There's no real levels made for it (we designed one, but it never got made in the game itself), but it's basically playable. I'll upload the version we made during the jam later today, and if folks want I might try to get that level we designed into the actual game in the next week or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SpAM_CAN View Post
    Uh, wow okay, didn't think people would take notice of me updating my portfolio,
    If there is the tiniest morsel of Thief out there, clearing and others will try and track it down.

Thief IID (Gamejam build) http://sammorris.info/files/ThiefIID_19-06-2018.7z

Break into the manor, steal some stuff, don't get caught by the guards; then get the hell out of there.

KB/M Controls:
    WASD - Movement
    SPACE - Jump, wall-jump
    CTRL - Use (doors, keys)
    E - Blackjack
    SHIFT - Wall-hang, duck-into-background (hide in shadows)
    Left Mouse Button - Shoot Water Arrow
    Mouse Cursor - Camera Pan + Water Arrow Aim

XInput Controls:
    Left Stick/D-Pad - Movement
    A - Jump, wall-jump
    B - Use (doors, keys)
    X - Blackjack
    Right Trigger - Wall-hang, duck-into-background (hide in shadows)
    Left Trigger - Shoot Water Arrow
    Right Stick - Camera Pan + Water Arrow Aim

As I said, if you guys like this, I might throw together a proper level. This thing is pretty buggy though, not gonna lie. It was made in about a week of fairly casual work.

can someone please upload a video of this level

and thank you spam can for adding level

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    can someone please upload a video of this level

and thank you spam can for adding level
    I recorded a video of me speed running it then replayed it and shot a water arrow to turn off a light and got caught to show what that's like also. Just need to convert the video since because fraps makes huge files and upload it.

gears that sounds amazing i look forward to seeing it

years ago there was a top down thief kinda game but it also was a demo and short,but way less stuff like this one has listed

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    gears that sounds amazing i look forward to seeing it

years ago there was a top down thief kinda game but it also was a demo and short,but way less stuff like this one has listed
    Here is the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVu-...ature=youtu.be

I like it its pretty fun and it is buggy but so far nothing game breaking just things like you cant enter a door sometimes unless you walk to the left or right of it then back to it.

Just having more layouts of a level like this would great to mess around in. I think I'll make another short video to show more of it. I actually didn't see what happens if you are seen and get away.
    Last edited by Gears94; 20th Jun 2018 at 00:57.

that is so cool,but would to see a level that covers distance,the sky is insanely amazing,and graphic should be a bit more colorful as it was hard to see loot with those mustard yellow walls,and you must add some thief art work on walls=would add so much to mission and rugs on floors

this could be ones of those knytt games where people can like it so much and start making there own levels/series with storylines/etc

ty gears and ty spamcan for making it,just a thank you to everyone including dewdrop=please be sure to add a dewdrop to game :P

Quote Originally Posted by SpAM_CAN View Post
    I'm getting errors when I try to unzip the file

Worked fine for me. What are you using to extract it?

Izarc

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    I'm getting errors when I try to unzip the file

I compressed it with 7Zip, and can confirm the file works with it. Not sure why it's breaking with a different tool.

--

I'm glad you guys like it! The texture selection is incredibly limited, and the doors are buggy as hell. I might take this project on as a side thing and work on it further (get some more of the arrows in, maybe. Fire arrows are actually implemented, there's just no way to switch to them). I should thank Matt and Josie in case they see these posts, as they were also on Team PizzaBass and made a good chunk of this with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gears94 View Post
    Here is the video . . .

Great, thank you and thanks to SpAM_CAN for the demo.

Ok it worked with 7zip

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Ok it worked with 7zip
    Cool, I was going to mention to try winrar or 7zip but forgot and went to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Gears94 View Post
    Cool, I was going to mention to try winrar or 7zip but forgot and went to sleep
    Yeah time to switch extractors.

Anyway, this looks really good, definitely hope it gets ironed out, polished, and maybe gets a few levels added

I am a real sucker for pixel art and the moving clouds together with the moon look amazing.

This is awesome would buy such game if it was a little more polished