TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

Level 10,000 achieved

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

Ok, this definitely deserves it's own thread.

Announcement/Story trailer:

Gameplay Trailer:

I think I might actually be more excited about this samurai game than From Software's samurai game. I like everything I've seen of the writing and characters in this, and after the Infamous games I have complete faith in Sucker Punch's ability to deliver great gameplay. This is gonna be a good one!

Level 10,000 achieved
    also, in b4 dema comes to brag about how he actually used to live in Tsushima

Gameplay is giving me a Witcher 3 vibe, looks very cool.

Chakat sex pillow
    It looks great, but mostly outside of combat. There's some jank to the fights that's kinda enh; the animation/stance movements are choppy and you can see in the very first encounter the enemy NPC's feet aren't quite in contact with the ground. Sort of breaks the spell and makes it instantly 'ah, video games'. Not a big deal, but it stands out here because of how immediately impressive everything was before that.

It gives me a massive Onimusha vibe. Super similar.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    also, in b4 dema comes to brag about how he actually used to live in Tsushima
    Well, I don't really need to bring it up in every thread that mentions this game, but since you mention it...

Biggest difference between the look of this game and Tsushima itself is that there are no fields of grain like that. It's dense forest pretty much the whole stretch from coast to coast, or it is now anyway. As a game it looks pretty great. Open world samurai sim; what's not to love?

Edit: "This mountain" is Mount Shiratake. Also just offshore to the left is (today) the site of a massive sunken Russian battleship, the Oslyabya I think (have to find the map of sites to double check), sunk during the famous naval Battle of Tsushima in 1905.
    Last edited by demagogue; 13th Jun 2018 at 18:03.

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't always come to TTLG for historical edumacation through video games, but I totally would if it were an ongoing thing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah, wonderful.

The atmosphere looks great, but I don't see a lot of gameplay in that trailer. It looks like the control is frequently wrested from the player so that the little animations can play out. I doubt there's a button to stick your sword in someone lying on the ground as you walk past them, for instance.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Most likely the attack button is contextual, when you're next to a downed enemy it sticks your sword in them. By the way the character does a little shimy forwards just before that leads me to think even that part is gameplay. Most of it is gameplay.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think what Aja is trying to say is that the game is playing itself at points despite the appearance of interactivity. I think that's a slightly extreme view; every time the camera pulls back and it's not framed like a cutscene, it definitely seems like gameplay, with traversal at the very least being up to the player.

However, we're falling into the trap of picking apart a game from a very limited amount of information over it - literally one cinematically framed trailer with control and UI prompts removed. I think it's best to evaluate when a proper hands-on demonstration is available at some point in the future.

I don't feel like I'm picking it apart. I mean, they show us this stuff to give us an idea of what to expect, right? And this looks like a lot of waiting for animations to play out. It could be good still, but after watching the trailer for From's new game, that one looks a lot more direct in the control it gives the player.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm still not getting that, but you do you, man.

I don't know, I get the feeling the game grabs control from the player too. Like at 1:30, for example. Also, the way he snaps to enemies, the combat seems very Arkham Asylum.
    Last edited by Starker; 14th Jun 2018 at 04:00.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't see any reason why you wouldn't still be in control at 1:30, and it's just that when you enter a new area the name is displayed and the camera pulls out, for effect.

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to be in control, but that's the impression I get from the way the character stays still while the game grabs control of the camera. And the way the camera moves back behind the character seems exactly like it was signaling giving back control to the player. It feels weird in other places too where the animations playing either don't feel like they are part of the regular movements a controlled character would make or seem too smooth and polished (i.e. automatic) in comparison to regular player-controlled jerkiness.