TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What have 32-bit/64-bit/modern GPUs done for us?

Gunpoint fulfills most of his detailed list of requirements, and that game could have been done in the 16-bit era.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yep. And Gunpoint is a pretty great game, it must be said. (Because it ought to be said as often as possible.)

I feel like we're arguing over what constitutes an immersive sim again, except without the "immersive sim" part.

OK, forget about stealth. I don't think Gunpoint satisfies any of the characteristics I've mentioned, but I'm obviously failing to get my point across, so I give up. Re: immersive sims, I don't want to drag that into it.

I just feel like people are ignoring the point of Thirith's topic, which is to take a modern game and think about how much you can whittle away before the experience just isn't the same anymore. You can go Jony Ive on steroids and say that all a shooter needs is a gun and baddies to shoot at, so Doom Eternal can be simplified down to Berzerk. And you may think you can do that without losing most of what makes Doom Eternal the game it is, but to me it's an absurd argument.

And he didn't even bother to look at the screenshot. Tsk tsk.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    OK, forget about stealth. I don't think Gunpoint satisfies any of the characteristics I've mentioned, but I'm obviously failing to get my point across, so I give up.
    Everyone gets your point perfectly. What you aren't getting from everyone is that your point is ridiculous. Your brain is stuck equating "stealth game" with "AAA first-person 3D immersive sim action stealth game".

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And he didn't even bother to look at the screenshot. Tsk tsk.
    That screenshot conveyed nothing of Metal Gear's stealth mechanics. That could have been a screenshot from any number of generic scrolling non-stealth shooters.

While I don't agree with heywood's specific list of requirements, I do consider 3D stealth (primarily of the first-person kind) to be very different from 2D stealth. It makes a difference if where you look determines what you see as much as what you don't see. They're both stealth, but I consider perspective to be a pretty central element when it comes to stealth gameplay. (Same with shooters, really.)

Which makes me wonder, though: are there any stealth games from the 8-bit or 16-bit era that offer a first-person perspective along the lines of The Bard's Tale or the dungeons in the Ultima series up to Ultima V?

There was "3D Maze" on the Spectrum and Commodore 64 where you had to stay out of sight of a T-Rex.

That's the first entry that comes to mind from the very beginning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12