TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Dark Mod 2.06 Minecraft Style!

The Dark Mod 2.06 Minecraft Style!

Settings:

image_downSize 1
    image_downSizeLimit 32
    image_filter GL_NEAREST

Soft Shadows ON
    Post Processing slider close to max

Last edited by nbohr1more; 15th Jun 2018 at 11:44.

Zombified
    what's up with people and pixels these days.

That looks neat

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    what's up with people and pixels these days.
    Personal preference? Maybe nostalgia.
    I must say I loved the Old Dark Thief 1 software mode, it has a gritty charm

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Azaran, I assume you have seen that you can get that again with the updated NewDark release?

I tried it but it's not working. Will ask about it on the thread

ZylonBane
    Calling this "Minecraft style" is a stretch that could reach to near Earth orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Calling this "Minecraft style" is a stretch that could reach to near Earth orbit.
    Same applies to all sorts of marketing. Calling this "Downsized and Unfiltered Texture Mod for Dark Mod" just wouldn't get as many clicks.

Nowhere near a stretch, lo-res block textures. Looks Minecrafty to me and I've been playing Minecraft for years. Seems like it's getting mighty pricky in here. I mean bringing up marketing and clicks in a ttlg forum post, you jest?

this is a real couch

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandall View Post
    Nowhere near a stretch, lo-res block textures. Looks Minecrafty to me and I've been playing Minecraft for years.
    The Minecraft aesthetic isn't just low-res unfiltered textures. It's also cubic architecture and low-poly, voxel-looking object models. This thread could have just as well been called TDM Wolfenstein 3D style.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    This thread could have just as well been called TDM Wolfenstein 3D style.
    You can't run TDM on a Pentium 1 with 8 mb of ram

So what, can you run TDM on a Raspberry Pi?
    => If you try to make game A look similar to game B, does game A also have to run on hardware with low specs just like game B can? I don't see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandall View Post
    Nowhere near a stretch, lo-res block textures. Looks Minecrafty to me and I've been playing Minecraft for years. Seems like it's getting mighty pricky in here. I mean bringing up marketing and clicks in a ttlg forum post, you jest?
    When I saw the thread titile, I saw images of a blocky TDM-like levels in my head, with tables and chairs built of simple brushes etc... (forget even the blocky characters). I clicked on it and what I saw in screenshots did not meet the expectations that the thread's title created, so... now you know why I responded like that.

I used "Minecraft Style" as a shorthand for "blocky textures with modern lighting shaders and filtering". I don't know of any other game that has those 3 attributes
    other than Minecraft clones or Minecraft itself.

ZylonBane
    Bit.Trip Runner, probably dozens of other retro-themed indie games.

Bit.Trip Runner was released in 2010, after Minecraft became popular in 2009.

Minecraft "popularized" the idea of blocky textures "combined with modern rendering niceties" and countless indie games followed with the same aesthetic.

I'm sure there is probably a counter-example of something like this that pre-dates Minecraft but if you were to describe a graphic change like this in a way
    that "mainstream audiences are aware of" you use "Minecraft Style" not "obscure indie pixel art game that only pedantic internet folks know about ... -style".

In a similar way that you would call a sludgy "stoner doom metal" song "reminiscent of Black Sabbath", instead of "Blue Cheer", "MC5", or "Pentagram".

Minecraft defined that combination of attributes in popular culture and is thus the proper reference point.
    Last edited by nbohr1more; 17th Jun 2018 at 16:46.