TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Shock (on 1.44MB floppies) is getting disk read errors on my Windows 95 laptop

System Shock (on 1.44MB floppies) is getting disk read errors on my Windows 95 laptop

How do I fix these disk read errors? I'm attempting to install it through the MS-DOS mode in Windows 95 and it gave me a disk read error. It said the same thing when I tried installing it via DOSBox through my Windows XP machine. Is there something I'm missing here? I hope my disks aren't corrupted...

Quote Originally Posted by dickkickem View Post
    How do I fix these disk read errors? I'm attempting to install it through the MS-DOS mode in Windows 95 and it gave me a disk read error. It said the same thing when I tried installing it via DOSBox through my Windows XP machine. Is there something I'm missing here? I hope my disks aren't corrupted...

Zombified
    yep, the floppy is toast. pretty sure you should be able to google up a replacement.

SShock2.com

For a moment I thought that the forum was bugged and had brought up a post from 20 years ago

As voodoo47 said, you should have no problem finding a replacement (I still have my floppy disk version of System Shock, although I haven't used those in more than 20 years).

Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    For a moment I thought that the forum was bugged and had brought up a post from 20 years ago

As voodoo47 said, you should have no problem finding a replacement (I still have my floppy disk version of System Shock, although I haven't used those in more than 20 years).
    Where can I find a replacement (for not very much money at all)?

Zombified
    in most countries, re-acquiring software install files by visiting sites that specialize in sharing is legal, as long as you have a valid licence.

which disk is corrupted btw? maybe people from here will be willing to drop an image to your pm box.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    in most countries, re-acquiring software install files by visiting sites that specialize in sharing is legal, as long as you have a valid licence.

which disk is corrupted btw? maybe people from here will be willing to drop an image to your pm box.
    It's the first disk, #1/9.

SShock2.com

Well, if you don't have that issue sorted out in a week or so, let me know and I might be able to help. At the moment I don't have any working computer with a 3.5'' drive.

Not to distract from your floppy disk quest, but if I remember right the floppy version didn't have voiced audio logs.

The CD based version does and they really make the experience much more immersive. I would just procure a CD copy strictly for the extra dose of awesome.

Unique and fun to be making a floppy vs CD post these days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, if you don't have that issue sorted out in a week or so, let me know and I might be able to help. At the moment I don't have any working computer with a 3.5'' drive.
    I did find a couple slight scuffs on the donut of my 1st floppy disk, and I cleaned them off, but I don't know if that would do anything.

I have a theory that my floppy drive itself might have some problems, because I have a copy of Ultimate Doom on 3.5" disks, and the second floppy was getting disk read/bad disk errors, but I got it to install fine on my WinXP machine. However, my SS copy won't install on either.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSquirrel View Post
    Not to distract from your floppy disk quest, but if I remember right the floppy version didn't have voiced audio logs.

The CD based version does and they really make the experience much more immersive. I would just procure a CD copy strictly for the extra dose of awesome.

Unique and fun to be making a floppy vs CD post these days.

Yeah, I've been on a quest to get both the CD and floppy disk copies boxed. It's fairly difficult, especially getting them for a decent price!

SShock2.com

For some reason I always preferred the music from the floppy disk version. Maybe it's because I have fond memories of playing that version on my old 486 over and over again for a long time until I finally got the enhanced CD version.

Nostalgia ftw

SShock2.com

I think I'm going to get a USB floppy disk drive and will try to install the floppy disk version in DOSBox.

For some reason I always preferred the music from the floppy disk version. Maybe it's because I have fond memories of playing that version on my old 486 over and over again for a long time until I finally got the enhanced CD version.
    Wait...different music? Thought it was all the same midi tracks. Would be interested to hear that if you have a convenient source online...but don't waste time on that yourself.

486dx2 was the first pc I played Shock on way back in the day. Think I had a 100mb hard drive.

Ah the nostalgia.

SShock2.com

The music was somehow different. Not different music tracks, just sounded different. Maybe it's because of the SB16 I had on my 486DX4.

There seem to be two different versions of each music track depending on if you're using Sound Blaster FM synthesis or General MIDI. At least, that's what I've got sitting on my hard drive. They're the same compositions, but they've got differences in the sound.

SShock2.com

Well, even though I've always had the 'regular' (non-enhanced) version available on other machines, it never quite sounded like it did on my 486. So probably on that computer it was using a different version than it used on all the other computers I've had since.

But I actually ordered a USB floppy drive and I'm going to try to install the floppies I have (it's a good chance to check if they are still good after so many years untouched inside the box) to hear how it sounds.

What a sweet topic: floppies, MS-DOS mode... Nostalgia.

Btw, D'Arcy, i've got tape records from my 386-dx machine made in 1996, it was floppy ss1 version and there were no fx, only music (some kind of midi card installed, i can't remember). May be they sound similar?
    Elevator theme rocks.
    Elevator theme
    Level 1 theme
    Level 2 theme
    Executive theme
    Endgame theme
    Last edited by MidiV; 21st Jun 2018 at 07:38.
    *| Perfection Through Genetics |*

SShock2.com

Yes, that's pretty much how I remember the music

Edit: Even after all these years, System Shock music remains one of my favourite game music ever. Themes like the Executive and the Security Level ones are just perfect. I think that after listening to this I'm going to start a new run tonight.
    Last edited by D'Arcy; 21st Jun 2018 at 10:57.

My favourite themes are Executive and Elevator.
    Even my father has Elevator theme as a ringtone for about ten years and he's strongly against changing it
    *| Perfection Through Genetics |*

The music was somehow different. Not different music tracks, just sounded different. Maybe it's because of the SB16 I had on my 486DX4.
    That was fairly common in early 90s PC games. Often had vastly different sounding music from card to card. If you had a Gravis Ultrasound that resulted in some great sounding music in most games. Superior to sound blaster even.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    That was fairly common in early 90s PC games. Often had vastly different sounding music from card to card. If you had a Gravis Ultrasound that resulted in some great sounding music in most games. Superior to sound blaster even.
    I'm going to go way out on a memory limb here...

Didn't that have to do with the bit level (8/16/32 bit) of the sound card bus...then you load a MIDI sound font (what I remember them called) based on that bit level (on your sound card) and available space in RAM...and you could get higher res midi sounds?

In theory you could get the floppy ver sounds on any card today that supports MIDI. Just have to use that same sound font (prob 8 bit to fit on the floppies).

You're downgrading it basically. Just go hunting on the floppy ver disks for that sound font. Should be there somewhere.

Hope that turns out helpful to anyone wanting to do a playthrough with the floppy music. I'm just having fun being a DOS nerd again for a second.

Viva la TTLG.

Answer to the above - I have no idea.

All I know is that in most games if I picked the Gravis as sound card for music (eg Lands of Lore) it resulted in far superior music.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSquirrel View Post
    In theory you could get the floppy ver sounds on any card today that supports MIDI. Just have to use that same sound font (prob 8 bit to fit on the floppies).

You're downgrading it basically. Just go hunting on the floppy ver disks for that sound font. Should be there somewhere.
    Unfortunately it's not likely to be that easy. The music on old sound cards used a Yamaha YM3812 which had the waveform built into the chip. The tones were modulated using FM synthesis which gave it a distinctive sound that would be difficult to reproduce using a MIDI soundfont - the principle is quite different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast