TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sales Of Summer

I wish. Just the base games with all DLC took that long to get through.

I didn't even do all the factions in Skyrim, totally skipped the neither-side-is-very-sympathetic civil war.

The silver Shroud quests in Fallout 4 were excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Okay, what the actual F is this Terraria effort?!
    I got Terraria during 1.0 and have played it extensively every major and minor patch since then.

Shame that for every Silver Shroud, there were a dozen Child In A Fridge For 200 Years quests.

You're all casuals. This is what an ideal most played games list looks like:

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Hundreds of hours in Bethesda RPGs? I hope those were game extensions with mods. I'd rather drink battery acid than spend that kind of time rolling my eyes at every stupid quest in the vanilla games.
    Well I do proudly proclaim that I have bad taste in video games :P but to be fair I almost never play Bethesda games without mods. Fallout 4 in particular.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hah. I will say that I wouldn't blame anyone for wandering their environments for as long as they wanted to, because few devs can challenge Bethsoft on the environmental design front.

I wouldn't play their games without any mods, but mostly stick to things like UI and graphical improvements.

No amount of mods can fix their awful writing, though.

ZylonBane
    I bought The Void. Now I have surreal nudity as recommended tags in the store.

I think the Thief FM community is the exception that proves the rule - some of the FMs had good writing, voice acting, pacing sound design, etc. - though ones that manage all of those things are rare, and it only works because they are mostly writing their own stories, rather than fix other peoples'.

But I don't see how you could really rewrite a modern RPG, the amount of professional-level voice acting you'd need would be staggering.

There were several mods in Skyrim (and the others) with their own glorified sidequests, some of which just used text without the voice acting, which makes them FM-like. That's actually fine with me, as long as enough of them came out. There just weren't that many of them, or they were trying to be too ambitious.

In that sense, Bethesda game modding communities are more fragmented than the Thief FM community, since lots of different kinds of people are making lots of different kinds of mods for those games. Some of them great... but not so heavy on the "discrete story" fan mission side.

There is an upcoming mod for Fallout NV called "Fallout New California" (formerly Project Brazil) it looks great and all and the content looks great, but the voice acting sounds really average.

I can't recall that many mods that I've played that had good voice acting. "They Hunger" had some good bits.

Iíve spent hundreds of hours in Bethesda RPGs, between Skyrim and Fallouts 3 and 4. Itía true the games are often poorly written, but once Iím immersed in a world, it tends to bother me less, and thereís always enough decent writing (and even good sometimes) to keep it interesting.

I don't think I've ever installed a mod for a BSG game other than the unofficial patches (for bug fixes) and they were fine (aside from FO3/FO4 not really being Fallout games). And the thing that makes their games great is the feeling of constantly finding something new over the next hill. If I want a good, interactive story I'll play a Black Isle or Obsidian game.

Why not have both? Fallout: New Vegas managed to have a cool world to explore and fun stories, both big and small.

New Vegas’s world felt limited to me. Finally visiting Vegas was a letdown because of its size and the fact that it didn’t feel like a place where anyone actually lived. Granted, the writing and story was siginificantly better than anything Bethesda did since, but DC in Fallout 3 and Boston in Fallout 4 felt a lot more like living worlds. So I see Jason’s point. Maybe the ideal would be an Obsidian-written game using Bethesda’s world design.

I think a dream scenario for me would be BSG designing the world, Obsidian designing the characters and doing all of the writing, and Arkane handling the gameplay and dungeon/building design. If that game were made, there'd be no reason for anything else to ever exist.

For me, Fallout New Vegas felt like much more of a living world than the others, because its setting seemed to have an actual economy. There were farmers growing food or raising animals, there were merchants and traders, politics, and lots of other things you'd expect from a real world.

In comparison, the Bethesda worlds feel static and lifeless, especially Fallout 3, where everyone seems to live on 200-year-old junk food.

Yes, New Vegas still suffered from that same "compressed world" problem, where a huge space is represented by a much smaller space, and as such everything feels a bit squashed and the population feels far too low. It still felt the least fake to me.

Or Fallout 4 where there are almost no villages/towns anywhere (save for those you create yourself).

Yes, that struck me as well, having just finished FO4 a few days ago. I enjoyed it, sinking over 60 hours into it and a tonne of side missions. There were some enjoyable missions and interesting characters here and there but it didn't come close to hitting the high notes of NV.

I haven't touched FO4, but I did find the basic world and look of FO3 a bit more compellng than NV, which felt empty and drab in comparison. The better writing made it a much better experience though. I don't plan to touch another Bethesda-developed game again.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345