TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Thief?

Your favourite Thief?

Whats your favourite Thief game and why?

The reboot

From another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Thief Gold for me. I prefer a more medieval Thief, and loved the supernatural elements. This one is gonna sound weird, but I prefer TG's graphics over T2: they're really gritty, the dark areas are far more intense than they are in T2...they're perfect for the type of world Thief is set in. The ambience too is a lot darker than the other games.
    I liked T2, but found it too Victorian in style (especially considering it takes place a year after T1), it's a bit too 'cheery' compared to the darker feel of T1/G, and not enough undead and supernatural elements.

I liked T3, despite its flaws. Has a lot of replay value, with respawning AI's, etc. But I think it fits badly into the trilogy, and the City is a mess compared to the others - extreme lack of continuity. I also couldn't play it until installing the Minimalist patch: when Garrett walks it's like he's knee-deep in molasses

Thief 2 for me. I love the more industrial steampunk setting, the blend of futurism and art deco, and the film noir vibe. Also, the missions feel more thiefy and less tombraidery. As Yahtzee put it, it was where the sneaking was the sneaksiest and the sprawly levels were the sprawliest.

Thief Gold easily. It has a darker atmosphere and more visually interesting levels and architecture. It also has a surreal weirdness to it that Thief 2 lacks. Thief 2 feels too ordinary, too much like our world, and while the levels are bigger, they're often plain and square.

As a game by itself, Thief Gold probably wins out by a sliver. It's mainly the surreal elements that push it over the line for me. While the level design for the most part isn't quite on the level of Thief 2, it more than makes up for it in atmosphere. Also, bunnyhopping is really useful for backtracking. On the whole, Thief 2 gets the edge because it has more fan missions, and more of my favourite fan missions which gives it greater longevity.

In Thief 2, the surreal is just beneath the surface, where it belongs IMO. Everything looks ordinary, but go the wrong way and you'll end up in a place where the dead walk or a strange realm where beasts talk and plants have eyeballs. The only thing really missing was a full horror mission, like Waking the Dead in Thief 2 Gold might have been.

thief 1 dark project,without it there would be no other thief games

I'm just going to jump in here before a jerk or two arrives and say, everyone enjoy the discussion, even if it's one this forum has had hundreds of times before.

The oldtimers here still have PTSD from the death of Looking Glass, so be gentle with them.

My favorite is Thief 2. The story is worse, but the engine is much better, and that's what mattered to us FM authors.

if thief 1 was on thief 2 engine,we would not even have this post

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    if thief 1 was on thief 2 engine,we would not even have this post
    Maybe. However, you don't realize just how much people disliked the zombies and burricks back in the day. They clamoured for less "silly action stuff," and they got it.

Back to the engine and aesthetics, though... even at its time, having only 8-bit color was unacceptable, and some of the texture choices are downright clownish. The tutorial to TDP looks like a bottom-tier FM.

i loved the everything about thief 1,thief 2 is where i started to have issues,double mansion mission=so lazy, and some mission felt over all empty

i loved the everything about thief 1,thief 2 is where i started to have issues,double mansion mission=so lazy, and some mission felt over all empty
    I recently replayed the Thief series. Actually now, when I'm older, I kinda enjoyed Thief 2. Even finished Soulforge for a first time in my life.

Laziness, from a studio on the brink of bankruptcy, where many of the chief staff ate, slept, and lived at the office? Consider your ideas more carefully.

thief 1 ftw yolo

thief 1 ftw yolo

Thief Gold which is the second best game of all time. Then Deadly Shadows which is in my top 5, then Thief 2 which is in my top 15. Level design on the first 2 is infinitely better than the second in my opinion, as well as atmosphere, story and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Laziness, from a studio on the brink of bankruptcy, where many of the chief staff ate, slept, and lived at the office? Consider your ideas more carefully.
    Not everyone has to know the exact details and history behind something to criticise it. It feels lazy. The company being on the brink of bankruptcy isn't something everyone just knows.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWalrus View Post
    Thief Gold which is the second best game of all time.
    What's the first best game of all time then?

There's only one game I'd rate higher than Thief.

Half-Life.

My favorite thief is and will always be Bulgarian_Taffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    My favorite thief is and will always be Bulgarian_Taffer.
    What?

YOU! YEA, YOU! My favorite Bulgarian Bear is in da house, woop woop!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    There's only one game I'd rate higher than Thief.

Half-Life.
    Heresy! LOL, seriously I used to play Half-Life 1 a lot many years ago before I got into Thief. However I think Thief FM's are generally superior to most Half Life mods.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWalrus View Post
    Thief Gold which is the second best game of all time. Then Deadly Shadows which is in my top 5, then Thief 2 which is in my top 15. Level design on the first 2 is infinitely better than the second in my opinion, as well as atmosphere, story and characters.
    Really? I thought the first two games were far superior to Deadly Shadows, which just seemed like a lazy, even cynical cash grab, especially the Museum, which could stand in for any bloated, generic giant level. But even Deadly Shadows looks like a glowing bar of gold compared to the unspeakably awful NuThief.

I'd personally separate the Thief age in two phases. The first phase: LGS one, Thief 1 and Thief 2.

Second phase: post-LGS one, Thief - DS and NuThief.

By recently replaying all Thief games from the beginning to the end, I can clearly see that NuThief tries to mimic Deadly Shadows, rather than Thief 1-2. Open City. Loading zones. The Cradle ripoff. The ship in the last mission (Abysmal Gale ripoff).

The problem IMO is that the first phase led to spiritual successor, and the second phase - didn't. The first phase gave birth to Thief 2x, individual fan missions and fan expansions, and The Dark Mod, of course..

The second phase, well... We have several long TDS campaigns and some FMs, and that's that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast