TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Trying to remember an FM based on an audio loop.

Trying to remember an FM based on an audio loop.

Hello,

I'm trying to remember an FM. It had an around 7 second long loop of one of the songs from American McGee's Alice, or a loop of some sounds that are similar to tunes from that game.

The closest example I can find is this song. The very beginning, especially the bell sounds, is what I remember some of it sounding like:

I haven't heard the exact loop, as I remember it, from any of the Alice soundtrack, though.

Any help would be appreciated. I keep wanting to think it's one of the Calendra missions, but I haven't found it in one of them.

lmao the mission you have to get the windchime? "all for a nights sleep"

It's a very generic sounding ambient piece, you're going to have to try to give more info about what the mission was like.

This is a stretch but the only mission I specifically remembered sounds/music was Drk's A Night in Rocksbourg: Discovery (Mission two)

Might be Morbid Curiosity

Marbleman might be right : ) I'm a big fan of the Alice games and likely it inspired the music choice for the opening titles. The theme is from two or three sound files I got from Freesound that I mixed.

Thank you all for the replies, but after checking the sound files, I'm afraid it's not any of those. Those were good ideas, though, and some sounds in Morbid Curiosity come close.

GUFF: I remember this specific track played in a small room, a bedroom or a library, and there was a context of a story involving magic or there being a practitioner of magic. I know, that narrows it down! My bad for not recalling any more details; I do need more.

I replay so many FMs all the time, I'm sure I'll stumble upon it again.

did the room have a telescope in it?

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    did the room have a telescope in it?
    It might have. There would have been something suggestive of study or magic.

i am thinking its that mission where you enter a room,left side is kinda a study area with some books/pages on table and telescope in center on left side room,right side is a bed room with some kind of musical lock on a wall safe,i also remember the color in room to be a blue tint effect.

but i have no idea what mission is called

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i am thinking its that mission where you enter a room,left side is kinda a study area with some books/pages on table and telescope in center on left side room,right side is a bed room with some kind of musical lock on a wall safe,i also remember the color in room to be a blue tint effect.

but i have no idea what mission is called
    The only musical lock I remember is in Broken Triad, but I don't think it's that mission. Still, I could give it another whirl and see (or listen to the audio files, but I'd hate to waste an excuse to play it again)! Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by twhalen2600 View Post

Any help would be appreciated. I keep wanting to think it's one of the Calendra missions, but I haven't found it in one of them.
    it wasn't the thief_metal_loop_22.wav from Calendra's Legacy?

I'm looking through all of the mission zips I have to see if I can locate something similar to what you are looking for.

I do remember similar bells in a wav in Lord Alan's Basement, though I'm sure its not from American McGee's Alice. IIRC Andrea Aleotti custom wrote and played that wav but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by john9818a; 8th Jul 2018 at 23:04.

The description of rooms and the "musical riddle" partially reminds me of "Properly Paranoid" from 2004. The player has to listen to a victrola standing on a safe in a library, and play the tune with several harps in the same room. I do not remember what background sounds played in that room.

EDIT: There also is a set of rooms in "Mission 3", a single mission originally intended to be part of a "Shadows of the Past" campaign around 2006, but that campaign was never completed. This "Mission 3" was then published in 2016 as a single mission. The Lord's bedroom and the room before that seem to somehow fit the description of "blue tint" and "study with books", and maybe there even was an ambient sound with bells there. There is no wall safe in that room, AFAIK, though, and neither is there a musical puzzle I remember. Screenshots of the two rooms in question can be found here on Southquarter. Check out the last two pictures in the third row and see whether that rings a bell in your memory.

And concerning "Broken Triad": According to my notes, the "musical lock" is on a door, but the information needed to open that lock is in a wall safe.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 9th Jul 2018 at 09:53.

There are also some musical riddles in Death's Turbid Veil, though I don't remember those ambients. You have to play the right sequence of notes on the piano.

A similar piano riddle can be found in "Simple enough", but I think that there is nothing else in that mission which matches twalen2600's description.