TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T1/T2 Portability of installs?

T1/T2 Portability of installs?

I have GoG installs of T1/T2 on my Win 8 PC. Are there any known issues with just simply coppying the installs to a new Win 10 PC and playing them?

I have a lot of mods and customisations, so would prefer to avoid a fresh install if I could.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Don't copy it to a protected folder.
    If it doesn't work, check install.cfg (T1/TG) and darkinst.cfg (T2).

Zombified
    a TFixed/TafferPatched install is portable.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Fully portable, yes. I haven't installed Thief 2 from CD since around 2001, I just move all my folders from PC to PC. Preferably put it in the same (non-protected) folder as on the current machine (match the directory structure), that should make it work without having to edit install/darkinst.cfg.

Thanks everyone, good to know.

In a similar vein, would a Sneaky Upgraded T3 install be portable?

As far as I am concerned, Sneaky Upgrade relies on Windows Registry and stores some additional files in some hidden folders of Windows. Unless snobel changes the way it works, I believe that it wouldn't.

Yeah, I tried it out and it didn't work.

I try to have EVERYTHING on my computer portable.
    I'll take a lesser similar app that does the same thing as a mildly better one if its portable.
    All of my games and video editing and music editing and various softwares for the PC of life are 98% portable.

I heard about sneaky upgrade and thought to myself, time to try and give T3 a try one more time.
    I appreciate all the work the modders put into trying to fix that thing, but T3 is just consistently insufferable and can't be fixed IMO.
    I had to reinstall Sneaky upgrade 4-5 times to get it to stop spreading folders all over the place,
    and if I move the game folder or anything else it gives me an error message that it just cant be bothered with me...

No its not portable.

My new PC may have integrated graphics and no card. I seem to remember TFix asking about this? Some setting that it is recomme4nded to turn off if using IG? Just wondering what it was, before I port the install over.

Zombified
    some (now very) old and slow intel gpus have problems with anti-aliasing, but that shouldn't be of concern on anything from the last half decade or so - basically, if you are 5th gen or newer, you are safe.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcatera View Post
    As far as I am concerned, Sneaky Upgrade relies on Windows Registry and stores some additional files in some hidden folders of Windows.
    When making the SU it was a deliberate decision to not make the game any easier to pirate. And although Ion Storm effectively removed DRM with the editor release, because of the original game's registry dependence you can't just move the install to another machine. And so you can't just move the SU-patched game either.

But now there's the GOG installer, which can be freely copied, so I don't know if that self-imposed restriction is important anymore? I'll add 'portability' to the (still very long) to-do list and have a look at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by robthom View Post
    I had to reinstall Sneaky upgrade 4-5 times to get it to stop spreading folders all over the place
    The installer has a "customize paths" option (I guess you found it the fifth time? ), which lets you move everything but the uninstaller stuff into subfolders within the game install (which can be in Program Files - the installer will relax permissions).

If you install it that way it's portable as long as you recreate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGamePath registry value on the new machine.