TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: IndieGameStand is dead and gone

IndieGameStand is dead and gone

http://indiegamestand.com/ now contains only this:

Dear readers, we apologize for not being able to keep IGS running. We owe it to you to explain what happened.

IGS is no longer operational since many months ago, due to the following reasons

1. Operational costs were too high - we were losing money every month, for over 1.5 years.

2. We couldn't make enough deals with developers with strong games. It was really hard and expensive to convince strong devs to list games on our platform with a small audience.

This caused sales to be very low. Each PWYW (Pay What You Want) only resulted in less than 100 USD total sales on average. With only 4-5 PWYWs per month, you can imagine the sales we make. Plus, a big percentage of that gets paid back to the developers.

Besides PWYWs, almost nobody bought the regular games. Everyone was just going after PWYW. After looking at the data for a long time, we had the feeling that almost nobody wanted to pay for anything with Steam games.

4. After our server provider got acquired, they upgraded and our entire infrastructure broke.

5. We didn't have enough technical skills to recover the broken website and database (it's not as easy as fixing PHP scripts. It went down to core infrastructure level, because of fundamental upgrades to certain libraries). This explains the downtime you saw.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we could do to recover it. We tried communicating with the server provider, but we just weren't good enough technically to solve the problem together. After failing to pay the bills, we lost access to the server.

We saw some speculation online alleging that we resold the keys. This is NOT true. We can confirm, that we DID NOT sell any keys to any third party. There was no instruction to sell any keys whatsoever.

We are not angry at the parties that speculated. After all, everyone is allowed to have an opinion online, and we respect that.

To be honest, we have no idea what happened to the keys. We can only blame ourselves for not handling this properly, after losing access to our server.

We do agree with what others have said, that the best solution for developers is to revoke their steam keys.

We have also given refunds to many developers and buyers for PWYW payouts / any remaining balances.

If there is anything we can do to help, please email support at indiegamestand dot com. This will be our single communication channel, since we have nothing else left.

Again, we truly apologize for all this. It sucks. We tried various ways to revive IGS after it changed management multiple times. We lost a lot of money doing so, and ultimately it just didn't work financially and technically for us.

Thank you for reading this.

IGS Support

Note: If you're a consumer, and want better options and deals, please try other websites such as Humble Bundle, Bundle Stars, Indie Gala, etc.

First Aliens: Colonial Marines and now this. Is it a season for old news or something? This happened in last year November. Just like the Aliens: Colonial Marines thing.

The economics of indie gaming doesn't work so well. But this is an interesting insight into just how it doesn't work so well.

On the other hand, I tend to think indie games are good in part because (not in spite of) the market doesn't work for them. If the market was working well for them, I'd distrust them for being tempted to pander. It's an old dilemma anyway... Same as for indie movies and music.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    First Aliens: Colonial Marines and now this. Is it a season for old news or something? This happened in last year November. Just like the Aliens: Colonial Marines thing.
    It shut down months ago, but is the explanation new, as its text suggests?

No, I think the same text was up then too.

Edit: here https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMe...tdown_message/

Same thing with that Aliens: Colonial Marines typo that was discovered last November and now there's suddenly news articles all over the place.

Well I learned about it today when I wanted to download a game. There wasn't an existing thread here, so I started one.

I also don't have the foggiest idea what the "Aliens: Colonial Marines typo" is. These days I get most of my gaming news from TTLG :)

I never heard of this site, what was it?

It was commercial release platform somewhere between Itch (focused on indie games, many of them free or pay what you want, which means 90% of their distribution probably isn't paid for) and GOG (an independent channel to Steam, so they can have their own sales, but for Steam keys, which has its own problems with re-selling and whatnot.)

The punchline is that it's hard for platforms focusing on indie games outside the big platforms (Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle) to have a very viable business model. Lots of things can go wrong and there aren't many chances things will go right for very long before you just run out of money. I mean the whole explanation the OP links to says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I also don't have the foggiest idea what the "Aliens: Colonial Marines typo" is. These days I get most of my gaming news from TTLG
    It's literally the thread below this one (well, before the spam jumped in there), about the only piece of gaming news from TTLG happening this week so far. It's a forgiveable thing to miss though because an internet forum isn't that great for news to begin with.
    Last edited by demagogue; 17th Jul 2018 at 07:09.

So the gist of it is that the pay-what-you-want (PWYW) model is fundamentally flawed for indie games and that people generally want games for free?

I wonder if the same issue exists with other indie focused platforms like bandcamp. Ever since Radiohead was praised for releasing In rainbows under this model I've always been skeptical that it would be viable.

Well Itch is still around, so there's evidently more to it.
    But it's a risky business model going by that postmortem at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    So the gist of it is that the pay-what-you-want (PWYW) model is fundamentally flawed for indie games and that people generally want games for free?
    I would guess that people who want to pay for Steam games just get them from Steam, and that the people looking at key resellers are indeed looking to spend as little as possible for legal access.

Well, or Humble Bundle.

Well, or Humble Bundle.
    Yeah, but they (a) had a pretty spectacular start which I think garnered them a considerable market share, and (b) have radically changed their business model, despite (a).

They started out as: DRM-free, cross-platform, pay-what-you-want, and even seemed to be encouraging source-code releases from the developers.

Now, they are: Mostly selling Steam keys.

Edit: I've just realised the comment I've quoted may have been in response to "people who want to pay for Steam games", in which case I'm just reiterating the same point.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 18th Jul 2018 at 08:06.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I also don't have the foggiest idea what the "Aliens: Colonial Marines typo" is. These days I get most of my gaming news from TTLG :)
    It's literally the thread below this one (well, before the spam jumped in there), about the only piece of gaming news from TTLG happening this week so far.
    That's a fair response :)

It's a forgiveable thing to miss though because an internet forum isn't that great for news to begin with.
    I think it's more that I lost all interest in Aliens: Colonial Marines as soon as it was released and universally panned, so it never occurred to me to investigate the update to the thread. Having now done so, it's certainly interesting (and bewildering).

Well, yeah, I would imagine that would be one of the main reasons why people looking to pay for Steam games are getting them from Humble Bundle.

But they still do DRM-free, multi-platform, and pay-what-you-want as well.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think the question should be: if you knew about all of this back in November, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US, STARKER? We would have found this stuff VERY INTERESTING!

I thought there was a bug on my glass, but in the end it was my thumb, on the outside of the glass.

The first I heard of Indie Game Stand was after it had gone under and it didn't seem something very newsworthy? The same happened to Desura last month, again, and nobody seems to care either.

I suspect it would have seemed more newsworthy if you used the services?

I didn't know Desura had shut down, either. I wonder if there are others...

Maybe? I did use Desura and had games there, but the vast majority of them had Steam keys, so in the end I didn't lose much -- Pathologic, Qasir Al-Wasat, a few more obscure indie titles. And I suppose I could just go pirate them, if I really wanted to.