TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What can we learn from Garrett?

What can we learn from Garrett?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Taffers and Sneaksie Manfools, what can we learn from Garrett? Which of his specific skills, abilities and mental attitudes can we apply to our daily life? Naturally, I don't mean that we should learn how to break into mansions or how to blackjack random strangers on the streets, as these activities are not only illegal, but also morally bad. With that in mind, here's my personal list:

1) Rope climbing. I have recently started training my upper body muscles, in order to be better at rope climbing. I already know how to do it, but I can't hold the rope for long periods.
    2) Swimming. As far as I know, Mr. Garrett is not particularly fond of spending time in the water, but swimming is an excellent exercise and it can come in handy in life-threatening situations.
    3) Sneaking/ghosting. I like evening walks. When I walk through the deserted streets, sometimes I see hooded guys who do not differ much from the taffers in the Downwinder Thieves' Guild. I've never been good at martial arts or self-defence, so I would rather want to avoid such suspicious individuals. Through the last months I've been training the art of dashing into the shadows and walking without being seen. "Assasins!" mission is my main inspiration. It's not as easy as in Thief games, but it's definitely worth learning.
    4) Being independent. My dream job is to become a self-employed writer who works when he wants and is independent to a greater degree. Garrett is certainly a big inspiration.
    Last edited by Aemanyl; 23rd Jul 2018 at 16:41.

Zombified
    eating apples is good for your health.

Eating entire raw deer legs is bad for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    Eating entire raw deer legs is bad for your health.
    I swapped deer legs for rats and I noticed no change in taste.

garretts crouch is god like=really think about it

ZylonBane
    Stop thinking about Garrett's crotch you freak.

lmao you never stop do you zylon the bane in my @$$

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    garretts crouch is god like=really think about it
    I think about how bad his arthritis is going to be when he spends half of every night crouching his way through the City.

hip replacement forsure

Okay guys, but my question was serious.

What I learned is that getting caught is equated with feelings - they both get into the way of my money

12 Rules For Life (Garrett style).
    1. Stand up straight with your shoulders back (at least every now and again, especially when you've been crouching in cramped sewers for hours on end).
    2. Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping (that is, if you are helping that someone to a ridiculously large bag o' loot).
    3. Make friends with the fences who give the best prices.
    4. Compare yourself to Garrett of yesterday (TDP) rather than the Garrett of today (Thiaf 2014).
    5. Don't do anything that makes the Citywatch want to kill you (stay out of sight, don't make fun of of their helmets).
    6. Set your gear in perfect order before you burglarise the world.
    7. Pursue what is expensive, not what is cheap.
    8. Tell the truth, or at least don't lie (if you get caught by the Hammers, they may go easy on you).
    9. Assume the person you are eavesdropping on knows something you don't (like a safe combination).
    10. Be precise with your water arrows.
    11. Do not bother Burricks while they are burping.
    12. Pet a rat when you encounter one on the floor (then train it to get those hard to reach prison cell keys).

The most important thing you can learn is that he is a fictional character, and none of it is real. I've seen more than a few here emulating a little too closely the sardonic nature of a made-up person.

Don't let yourself get carried away with feelings. They'll get in the way of your money.

Squats everday

Actually nihilism is good.

Probably mentiod but:

Don't wear tap-dancing shoes on a burglary

Thieving doesn't pay particularly well. Even the world's greatest thief is still always only a payment or two away from being kicked out by his landlord

Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    12 Rules For Life (Garrett style).
    1. Stand up straight with your shoulders back (at least every now and again, especially when you've been crouching in cramped sewers for hours on end).
    2. Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping (that is, if you are helping that someone to a ridiculously large bag o' loot).
    3. Make friends with the fences who give the best prices.
    4. Compare yourself to Garrett of yesterday (TDP) rather than the Garrett of today (Thiaf 2014).
    5. Don't do anything that makes the Citywatch want to kill you (stay out of sight, don't make fun of of their helmets).
    6. Set your gear in perfect order before you burglarise the world.
    7. Pursue what is expensive, not what is cheap.
    8. Tell the truth, or at least don't lie (if you get caught by the Hammers, they may go easy on you).
    9. Assume the person you are eavesdropping on knows something you don't (like a safe combination).
    10. Be precise with your water arrows.
    11. Do not bother Burricks while they are burping.
    12. Pet a rat when you encounter one on the floor (then train it to get those hard to reach prison cell keys).
    Like the Jordan Peterson reference! In the Thief universe, I think he would definitely be a Keeper!

Small wooden crates can be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Thief View Post
    Like the Jordan Peterson reference! In the Thief universe, I think he would definitely be a Keeper!
    Oh boy, have you seen how religious that bloke is, that guy would definiteley be a fanatic hammerite.

Quote Originally Posted by User 205 View Post
    Oh boy, have you seen how religious that bloke is, that guy would definiteley be a fanatic hammerite.
    Not quite right, but most people get that impression when they first encounter him. Let's not derail this thread, however. Comm Chat is the place for such things. My original post is neither a rejection nor an endorsement of JP's views.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    Small wooden crates can be very useful.
    Well yes, that's why they manufacture them.