TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Grab rope, then die---can't climb

Grab rope, then die---can't climb

I'm experiencing a rather weird bug, and I couldn't find any other threads on the topic.

When I shoot a vine or rope arrow into wood, the rope/vine deploys as usual, and Garrett can jump onto it and attach as normal. But I can't ascend or descend. After a couple seconds, I suddenly lose a bunch of health (often die) and then relinquish the rope. This occurs both for rope arrows contained by the starting point and rope arrows found in-game. I've deleted the items and created new ones and have the same issue.

A few additional potentially relevant facts:
    --I haven't changed those items in the hierarchy
    --It all worked fine up until very recently
    --I've recently been adding a lot of links to the starting point (mostly teleport traps)
    --If I start a brand new mission in the same directory, there's no problem

Has anyone experienced this before and/or know of a solution?

Thanks!

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post

--It all worked fine up until very recently
    --I've recently been adding a lot of links to the starting point (mostly teleport traps)
    Delete the links one by one and see what happens.

No dice---even if I delete the entire starting point, I experience the same problem (minus the unsettling sudden death, of course).

Does this happen in every mission including OMs?

I've successfully pinpointed where the problem began, but I have no idea what the mechanism is (nor how to fix it). I rigged up a complicated puzzle using a bunch of bounds triggers, and ever since then the ropes have not worked.

None of them are linked to the starting point, or anything like that, so I don't see why they would interfere with the player at all. and I've double checked that the rope arrows are not linked to anything except the starting point. And again, the same issue persists for rope arrows found in game.

What happens if you delete the boundstriggers?

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Does this happen in every mission including OMs?
    No, it's specific to the fan mission I'm working on. I was able to determine when it started (thanks to incremental backups) but don't know how to fix it other than to start from an older file and redo several days of work Deleting the bounds triggers from the more recent .cow does not solve the problem, even though the only difference between the latest working .cow and the earliest broken .cow is those triggers.

Is the rope in an elevator shaft or close to the wall? A rope is some kind of a creature. Very sensitive
    A RopeArrow has poke stim, so this why you might get hurt if the rope arrow doesn't get deployed. Put the spy script (public scripts) on the starting point or on the rope. You might get some more informations.

Export
    -RopeArrowRope (-2573)
    -RopeyArrow (-3113)
    -RopeArrow (-2603)

and compare it to the original dark.gam or post it.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcX7...ature=youtu.be
    (there's no room brush here, so you won't hear the unsettling death, but notice how the health bar suddenly jumps to zero).

I've also attached some pared down .cow files to zero in on the issue. They won't contain any of the custom models or textures, but those only matter cosmetically at this point. I textured one room in stock wood for testing vine arrows.

Here's a .cow file where everything works:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbmsqerx5o...ng%29.cow?dl=0

and here's an almost identical .cow file where it does not work:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb6gbx2g4d...en%29.cow?dl=0

The only differences I can see between the two files are a few changed properties on a couple AlephKeys, and some added fnords. But if I delete all that, the problem remains.

This is bizarre- No collision, invisble arrows (Has Refs: false)
    There's collsion type: none
    in RopeArrowRope.

set physical (-7) to
    Collision Type-->Bounce
    and save the gamesys.

YOU ARE A FRIGGIN MIRACLE WORKER!

No idea how that got taffed up, but it all seems to be working now. Thanks a million!

Playing with the gamesys, and forgot about it, did you?

I'll stick to my passive voice: "got taffed up"