TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: DromEd and T2 corrupted by a .cow

DromEd and T2 corrupted by a .cow

Hello,

Something worrying happened last week : T2 and DromEd stopped working out of the blue. I only used DromEd and saved my mission as a cow file, but when I tried to launch DromEd later on, nothing happened, not even an error message.
    Now I checked if it was possible that I somehow saved my cow under the wrong format but the size didn't seem odd.

I could launch DromEd as much as I wanted, nothing ever happened, however my task manager said that DromEd was "suspended".
    I ended up having to restore a much older version of my T2 install and I've lost a ton of progress on my FM

Anyone have any clue what caused this? Now it's back on track but I'm really anxious that this happen again.

I have no idea what could have caused that problem, but Dromed keeps your previous save as backup.cow (or .mis or .gam when you use them). For the game/editor, ensure it's not installed in any Program Files folders. Finally, ensure your antivirus program is configured to ignore everything in the installation folder. It's possible that it found a false positive and removed or blocked some files.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Did you restart the PC? That's the first thing you should do.
    This will remove the suspended state for sure.

I did restart my computer and made sure Avast wouldn't mess with DromEd but that didn't do the trick.
    I tried to load p_portal and backup, but since I only use the optimize command, there was nothing to be loaded in p_portal. I don't remember about backup though. Luckily I zipped some saves before that. Does backup.cow create itself after portalization too?

backup mis/cow/gam will be created when you overwrite a file with the same name as you save.
    p_portal.cow will be created in the portalization process. Optimization is always portalization, too. p_portal.cow will be created.
    So recover p_portal.cow.

There's also inrpog.cow, which is created just before you go in to game mode, and which is reloaded when you return to the editor.

I know this is a wild question but are you trying to load dromed through a virtual machine?

I basically tried any .cow files that wasn't a year old and none worked. The weird thing is that I tried to load every single one of them, one was blank and two crashed DromEd instantly so I had to restore my DromEd install and pick up an older cow file.
    I don't run through a virtual machine either.

One thing I did before the whole corrupted install was running a "Spybot-S&D" scan, but I ran through the logs afterward and never saw something interacting with Dromed of Thief.
    So maybe just DromEd being DromEd ?

Check the HDD.