TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First game you ever beat

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    The original Kirby's Dreamland is the only game in that series I've ever really liked.

Maybe I would've liked the NES version too, but I never gave it a chance.
    Yeah I gave another one a try waaay later (as in a few years ago) when I had built an emulator or various older gaming systems using a Raspberry Pi.... It had some sort of mirroring mechanic in it where you could adopt enemy traits/skills/attacks... (I think it was called Kirby And The Amazing Mirror or something...)
    I found that mechanic interesting, but didn't like the game overall....

Moderator and Priest
    I think that one was for the GBA. The one on the NES was just called Kirby's Adventure or something like. Everyone raved about how awesome it was back when, but I dunno. Beyond the original GB game, Kirby's never appealed to me all that much.

But man, the Gameboy. I still think the GB/NES era was the best for me. Gargoyle's Quest, Mario Land 2, Final Fantasy Legend I & II, Sword of Hope. I don't think any console since has given me such a concentrated amount of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I think that one was for the GBA. The one on the NES was just called Kirby's Adventure or something like. Everyone raved about how awesome it was back when, but I dunno. Beyond the original GB game, Kirby's never appealed to me all that much.

But man, the Gameboy. I still think the GB/NES era was the best for me. Gargoyle's Quest, Mario Land 2, Final Fantasy Legend I & II, Sword of Hope. I don't think any console since has given me such a concentrated amount of fun.
    I think you are right about the GBA thing... And yes, that first GB was amazing... My brother and I had one each when we were kids and the first two games we had were Super Mario Land and Kirby's Dreamland... We would play those in the car when going on vacation with our parents and it just has a certain place in my memory and heart.
    Later (or maybe around the same time, I no longer remeber the order of things from that time), we got the first PC in the house and I remember playing Wacky Wheels and Jazz Jackrabbit on that... Both were trial versions, so I can't claim to have completed them.
    Completions that stand out in memory were when we completed Full Throttle and the original Lemmings on a School PC, but that was much later.

I'm not sure, but it might've been Magical Tree, an MSX game by Konami, who made all the best MSX games. Most of those Konami games I could never beat, but I beat this one.

EDIT: or it might've been the C64 game Forbidden Forest, which was quite scary for a young me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86veyiIcS8

A long, long time ago I remember playing the Secret of Monkey Island on Windows 95 through DOS. I had the CD-ROM edition. I was definitely under age 10 at the time, but I do remember the satisfaction that was finally sailing to Monkey Island proper and away from Melee Island. I ended up finishing the game sometime after that, and I'm pretty sure that's the first game I played through to completion.

In my day it was Atari 2600 games, and you didn't "beat" them. They either kind of went on forever or you completed a level in 5 minutes, which shouldn't really deserve the honor of beating a whole game.

Some completions I remember though were getting the cup on the hardest level of Adventure, getting the ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark, my neighbors flipping over 1 million points in Pacman (the closest you could get to "completion"), saving the girl or whoever in Jungle Hunt... I don't know, one of those or another one like them. The earliest game I remember really liking was Decathalon, and in that you just did the 10 events no matter what.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm pretty sure mine was a non-descript Atari 2600 game, but I don't remember which one. Definitely not Superman, which I recall being horrifying at the time, probably still is right now, and may continue to be in some benighted future moment that involves a revisit through a combination of alcohol and poor judgement.

The first game I can recall actually completing and breathing a sigh of relief at the end was Prince of Persia - no easy task, with that goddamn time limit. I think it defined my love for platformers more than anything Nintendo ever released, ironically enough. Super Mario had nothing on that rotoscope work, the traps, and the Russian roulette that was the flasks.

After a bit of a trawl through classic game titles, I'm mostly sure it would have been "Sabre Wulf", which I think was the first 'beatable' game which I personally owned a copy of. I remember that (a) I played it a lot, and (b) I did eventually complete it (several times, IIRC); so while there were other arcade games I'd played, I imagine this was the first game I actually beat.

None of my Atari 2600 games had endings, they just went on forever. It wasn't until Last Ninja II on C64 that I actually finished a game.

ZylonBane
    As per my username, probably Star Raiders. No not the crappy 2600 version. The original 8-bit home computer version.

Arguable one of the first immersive sims, or at the very least a paleolithic ancestor of the immersive sim.

I'm looking through my C64 folder for a single game I beat.
    I'm realizing that most memorable games were actually ones I didn't beat.

- I never beat Bard's Tale 2, although I got quite far, but would hear rumors of the final parts.

- I got caught up at one place in The Pawn and my imagination ran wild about what was just around the corner. (Never beat it until 15 years later on an emulator with a walkthrough past that part.)

- I was so close to beating a game called Doriath, made a map and everything, except there was a dumb gimmick at the end hinted by the scroll you pieced together (instead of killing the final dragon you had to walk into him). Kind of pissed at that one. Should count because if I'd done the right thing I'd have finished it.

- I got away from the Great Escape only to learn I didn't get the radio so was caught outside anyway.

- Got up to some top levels in Paradroid and Wizball, but didn't finish. Did I beat Aliens? Don't think so.
    Finally beat Shogun recently, but couldn't do it back in the day.

Looking back, yeah, I don't see a game in my "favorite" folder that I beat in its day.

Some games where I had no idea where I was going but how my imagination ran away with them... Project Firestart, Wasteland, Exploding Fist 2, Hacker 2, Mercenary, Parallax, Rasputin, Sinbad, Taipan, Last Ninja 2, Uridium, Willow Pattern... My goodness these were memorable games, even though I got so lost in them.

Oh, ok. Rags to Riches. You can't actually beat it, but I got to the point where the dollar amount flips back to zero ($10 million I think), which is the classic way you know you're done with a non-ending game. Ok. I'll count that one.

And so today they released the Remastered version of the Bard's Tale Trilogy (only Bard's Tale 1 is available now, with the others to come in Fall and Winter). Now I can beat the first game I ever beat all over again.

The Bards Tale Trilogy

LittleFlower
    1942. The name of the game. 1985. The year I played it. In the arcade hall. Took about 80 minutes, if I recall correctly.
    [

Asteroids on Atari. Hit 100,000 then went to bed.

ZylonBane
    That just makes you a quitter.

I want to say Zelda Link's Awakening on Gameboy. I'm not sure but it's what comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure that I never beat many of the arcade-style games I played on C-64; I'm not even sure they all had an actual end. (The first game I remember playing was International Soccer, which came with the C-64, and there the matches ended but not the game.) The games I can remember beating back then came later: the likes of The Bard's Tale III, Ultima V, Defenders of the Crown and Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

The first game I remember *not* finishing, because it kept kicking my arse? Wizball. Then again, the guitar riff that played when you died was well worth losing.

Can't say for sure, but it was probably Robocop. God that was a dumb game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyzwIm8Ditk

I remember loving the arcade game. It got a great port on the Commodore 64 as well.

PS - That got got a really nice fan made remake several years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12