TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: American VS. European FM Authors

American VS. European FM Authors

Greetings from Europe, fellow taffers. I was just wondering: are there any slight differences (in style, gameplay, storytelling etc.) between missions designed by Americans and those created by Europeans? Have you ever thought about how one's nationality influences the shape of his/her fan missions?

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    Greetings from Europe, fellow taffers. I was just wondering: are there any slight differences (in style, gameplay, storytelling etc.) between missions designed by Americans and those created by Europeans? Have you ever thought about how one's nationality influences the shape of his/her fan missions?
    Interesting question-I think Europeans tend to go for castles and medieval stuff since they have those kinds of environments on their own turf. I can't speak for other American authors, but I've tended to lean towards more sci-fi environments since there really isn't any particularly interesting architecture to get inspiration from in my neck of the woods.

Sensut draws lots of inspiration from his native Romania, with the amazing Dracula and Bathory campaigns

Independent Thief, I agree. European cultural heritage and medieval architecture are a huge inspiration for fan missions here. An example would be Christine's "Raven Creek" campaign, which has a very strong German/Central European atmosphere and architecture! Or Zontik's "King's Story". More historical missions would be cool.

I've tried to recreate an orthodox church once - in Secrets of Avidan.

cardia is my fav for designer for fan missions,ftm life felt so real to me

ZylonBane
    In European FMs all the loot is in metric.

The date puzzle in the recent Lord Alexander's Mansion. I was sure I had it figured out, but it just wasn't working. Then I remembered European date format is Day/Month not Month/Day.

In American Fms, all torch and lava temperatures register in fahrenheit.

I'm neither American nor European. I wonder how that has affected my missions, which exist, surprisingly.

when it comes to themes i don't see much difference between American and European authors, because most of them try to build missions that evoke the thief world, however i can say that there are certains differences between authors, since many of them have somehow their own style, some of the things you recognize in their productions that defines their signature.

I cannot see any big differences, however, I always recognize german FMs for the first time - a lot of simmetry and clean design in them. Sometimes "too" clean.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I cannot see any big differences, however, I always recognize german FMs for the first time - a lot of simmetry and clean design in them. Sometimes "too" clean.
    That's exactly how most of the German buildings are, with sober facades, rigid lines and few ornaments. Also they are big.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrano View Post
    The date puzzle in the recent Lord Alexander's Mansion. I was sure I had it figured out, but it just wasn't working. Then I remembered European date format is Day/Month not Month/Day.
    I certainly didn't mean it to be that hard I mean, the puzzle shouldn't take 15 minutes to solve. But I guess that the date format isn't the first that comes to mind.

there is a good amount of date codes that are uk style,day first then month,instead of us system of month first then day

and as far as difficulty i feel non us missions are harder for me,as i am american and non us mission makers think a bit different then most american's making there mission a bit more of a challange

and i would think it would be flipped for a foreign person playing an american mission?