TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: to many cells, what can cause this problem?

to many cells, what can cause this problem?

Ever since ive built this house ive start having problems with cells:

The beams coming out are objects, the rest is solid brushes, ive tried to replace the diagonal beams with objects. ive tried using giant walls around the house and the problem with cells still persist. Ive reduced many faces from nearby cylinders brushes...still the problem remains.What else can be causing this problem with too many cells? I still have several cylinders brushes with 24 sides in other areas, but they are covered behind walls, could this be a problem?

Is the error "too many cells on screen" or just "too many cells"? Is the map too detailed/large on terrain brushes? If the case is the latter, then it means you've reached the cells limit. Maybe you can share a screen of the error message or the monolog.

If you're having the red "too many cells" error and have gone beyond the hard-limit of 32760 cells, then here are a few factors for that:
    - Overhanging/protruding solids consume quite a bit of cells if you use a lot of them (e.g. roofs, doorframes, wooden beams, protruding trimming); the more complex the brush, the more cells it'll consume
    - Complex air brushes such as cylinders and pyramids (the more faces, the more cells they'll consume)
    - Overabundance of air brushes (e.g. stacked air brushes for trimming)
    - Dead space between solids (e.g. under the playable area), any space that isn't filled with solid consumes cells
    - Floating solid brushes (every solid brush should touch the ground if possible).

Here are some little techniques to help you reduce cells:
    - Create arches using solid wedges instead of air cylinders,
    - Create vaulted ceilings using solid corner-apex pyramids instead of air cylinders
    - Create carpet using solid brushes instead of air brushes
    - If you want to have decoration on walls, floors or ceilings, it's usually a much better practice to make them flush with a face. A solid brush that is inside another brush and doesn't protrude does not consume any cell.
    - Use solid brushes for trims.

Try to find stuff like in the first list in your mission and change it so they don't consume as many cells. This can be a pretty tedious and slow process.

Thank you Max and Skacky , yes the error is displayed in red :

this is the number of cells my mission has, and i don't know what's the max we can have:

Ive still half map to build, but i guess ill have to split the map into two missions, Ill follow your suggestions Skacky , i didn't some of thos things could consume cells, however i try to keep things well detailed.

Monolog displays quite a few different numbers for cells but the real one is the one right under the csgmerge operation, which I think cannot launch if you go beyond the limit.

This number here in red cannot go over 32760.
    Last edited by skacky; 26th Aug 2018 at 14:45.

Yeah that's exactly the mission having too many terrain brushes, especially air. You can try filling empty spaces between solid brushes that the player will not reach, or being careful with stairs. Funny rotations also consume a hell lot of cells as well, but if you're not even halfway done with the mission then splitting it into two is your best bet.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    This shows the raw cell count, which you can disregard. You have to look for the line "File has XXX cells" right after the csgmerge.

It looks like this in the monolog window:

--------------- csgmerge ---------------
    Epsilon is 1.e-004
    File has 2298 cells.
    Allocations: 2299
    Min: -365.73822 12.895203 -57.
    Max: -265.73822 92.895203 7.
    This shows the right amount of cells there is in the mission, or the aera brush you have activated at the moment of optimization.

Ninja'd by skacky

Ahhh, it's under the optimizing option i can see that report:

1 cell to reach the maximum, i have alot of work to do, i have many stairs with air brushes below, as well as cylinders with many faces, so much ting to change, ill have to make the other half of this french city in a second mission.

Thank you again so much for your help Skaky , Max and Drk...ill name you all in the credits list.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Good luck, there's a lot of work ahead of you.

The cells limit is the number 1 priority with newdark now. Always keep an eye on them, and try to use as many solid brushes as possible instead of air brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Good luck, there's a lot of work ahead of you.

The cells limit is the number 1 priority with newdark now. Always keep an eye on them, and try to use as many solid brushes as possible instead of air brushes.
    Yes, ill make sure to have as less cells as possible from now on...Merci encore une fois!

First thing I would do is replace those brush beams with a texture painted on the wall. If you turn on show cells, I'm sure that whole area will be horribly busy with that many narrow, intersecting brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    First thing I would do is replace those brush beams with a texture painted on the wall. If you turn on show cells, I'm sure that whole area will be horribly busy with that many narrow, intersecting brushes.
    That's what im doing, replacing many beam brushes for reskinable objects. Thank you for the good suggestion nicked.

I can't find the thread now, but wasn't there some trick about taking giant air brushes and pushing them back in time, that greatly reduces cell count if you hit the limit?

I remember reading where someone took the main air brush that his or her town was in, and noticed it was like time count 3 or something, then moved it to 1 or 0 and it like magically reduced 1000 cells or something? Then they kept doing this with all the town's large air brushes (since why not every solid is added later anyways, it won't mess with the brush architexture). I think when all said and done half their cells were recovered. I wish I could point to the thread, so I don't seem crazy. Someone else here would have to confirm.

Cool house by the way!!

Here it is (edit, not the only one it seems):
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...48#post2291348

Found by putting "cell limit" site:ttlg.com into Google, finding this thread and following the quote link.