TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: A Secret FM Project

A Secret FM Project

I have an idea for a secret FM project (not so secret anymore, huh? :P). It's going to be a very simple mission, JUST three rooms (with only a few objects) and several enemies to fight. A few hours of work in Dromed. I have the storyline and mission design ready on paper, I just need someone to put it into Dromed (as I'm very bad at this editor). So if you are bored and have a free afternoon/evening, please send me a private message.

You know that there are DromEd tutorials, right? They should be enough to help you build a simple mission.
    Try this one.

I know, marbleman. I tried playing around with DromED, but it's really not my cup of tea. It's not that I want someone to make my mission (God forbid!), I would like to collaborate with a more experienced FM author and help him realize those ideas. By the way, the storyline is related to TTLG community and I want this mission to be a collaboration between users.

Well, collaborating with a more experienced author sounds more reasonable than having somebody put your ideas into DromEd But honestly, if I were you, I'd start on the project and make as much of is as I can myself. Then, you could ask for help if you just can't figure something out, no shame in that I also started and abandoned the editor several times with the thought that it's not my cup of tea, and I bet I'm not the only one.

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    I know, marbleman. I tried playing around with DromED, but it's really not my cup of tea. It's not that I want someone to make my mission (God forbid!), I would like to collaborate with a more experienced FM author and help him realize those ideas. By the way, the storyline is related to TTLG community and I want this mission to be a collaboration between users.
    I don't want to disappoint you, but you will never find any author who will do that for you. I once tried to make a mission for someone who had an idea which was accurate and interesting and even if we were two authors collaborating to build it for the person, the mission has never been made. Why ? Because the person who got the idea asked for things and don't even knew if it's possible. Worse, the person was always changing her mind. At the end, the project was a real mess and we gave up.

As Cardia told me once time, we are not professional people working for customers, we are fans creating missions to keep this community living and express our love to LGS's work (even If I'm still thinking we must take care on the quality even if it's free, but it's another debate). Then at the moment someone is asking someone else to build something for him and in the way he's imagining the mission, the fun time become just somekind of unpaid work time because the author will not be free to create the mission in the way he wants it to be. As for credits, it will be a real mess as well because you've got to see the thing : the author will have to credit the idea guy as co-author just because he got the ideas but he did nothing at all to make the mission with Dromed, just giving orders and suggestions.

Then you got it : the author will spend a lot of his precious time obeying to someone who will do absolutely nothing but ordering. And this is pretty unfair.

This is why, as marbleman said, if you want your mission to become true, brave yourself and cowork with someone more experienced. Then you will try to learn dromed on his side, he'll give you advises and show you how to make a mission from the beginning to the end. This is how I learn to make better missions since I'm working with Skacky, Squadafroinx and DrK who are experts in matter of visual and atmosphere.
    In exchange, I show them how to make special effects and goals so they can see how to do stuff. See ? There are more benefits to take by working that way.

You try to contribute with an author and you become yourself a better contributor.

If after these arguments you keep saying there are no other ways than the one you want to take then don't look further : no offence but it will be nothing more than pure lazyness.

I think you should really try Dromed, Aemanyl. Once you get a hold of the basics you're good to go.

Learning DromEd basics isn't really that hard. You can learn in no time to create a simple mission. Remember : not all designers ought to be as talented as Rowena, Drk or Sledge. Sometimes I dream for simple missions of basic architecture, without thousand of arches.

Thanks Marbleman for the link. Perhaps I can use it some day.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............