TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Skybox in Newdark

Don't use DXT1 compression for transparency, you need at least DXT3. DXT1 removes alpha channel.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Cardia, you say you've never had performance issues, but I recall now that there were many people who played FTM Life who complained of bad lag and low FPS. I would expect that was in no small part due to many high res PNG textures. There are batch converters out there which can convert many of the PNG textures to DDS and it might make a big difference for those players for you to do that.

That depends what he means by good performance. 15-30 fps, even on a 5 year old rig, is hardly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Cardia, you say you've never had performance issues, but I recall now that there were many people who played FTM Life who complained of bad lag and low FPS. I would expect that was in no small part due to many high res PNG textures. There are batch converters out there which can convert many of the PNG textures to DDS and it might make a big difference for those players for you to do that.
    I've tested that mission with DDS. and even without textures, and the low performance that you mention is still being affected when being in large areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Don't use DXT1 compression for transparency, you need at least DXT3. DXT1 removes alpha channel.
    it works, but isn't gif or pcx better for a game performance? because if i have to chose between bmp or DDS, i still prefer bmp, despite the color quality at least i don't have this visual noise.
    Last edited by Cardia; 5th Sep 2018 at 08:25.

Ok. There's obviously no getting through to you, so if you feel GIF or BMP is better, by all means go ahead and use them in your own missions. Just please don't advise others to do the same against the advice of everyone else.

Ok. There's obviously no getting through to you, so if you feel GIF or BMP is better, by all means go ahead and use them in your own missions. Just please don't advise others to do the same against the advice of everyone else.
    Alright alright, it's just a personal preference, don't worry i won't be advising people here to refrain from using DDS.

I would be very appreciated if anyone could tell me how to do textures with transparency using bmp/gif/pcx format.

You have to edit the palette in an image editor so that the pink pixels (or whatever color should be transparent) are in index 0, which is the first color in the palette. That color at index 0 will be treated as transparent for GIF textures. It may also work with 256 color PCX files also, but I'm not sure as I never used those myself even in OldDark.

In Home Sweet Home DDS textures in format 1024x1024 are 512.13 KB. All the other textures that Ive seen with the same resolution in other missions are 682.80 KB
    512x512 are 128.13 KB. Ive always seen those textures at 170.80 KB.
    etc.

That's correct, 1024 DXT1 texture with no custom mipmaps should be around 512 KB. 1024 DXT1 with generated mipmaps is around 682 KB.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    it works, but isn't gif or pcx better for a game performance?
    That is literally the exact opposite of what everyone has been telling you.

i still prefer bmp
    Jesus Christ. Nobody uses BMP for textures.

Why are you so obsessed with doing everything in the worst way possible?

Yes Zylonebane, bmp is not even a texture, my mistake, i think ive made myself clear why im trying to find a replacement for DDS. But i understand your reaction over this situation, this is complicated. But don't worry my sweet bear i won't insist more on this subject.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Yes Zylonebane, bmp is not even a texture, my mistake
    Wrong, BMP is a supported texture format. But nobody uses it because the BMP file format is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Wrong, BMP is a supported texture format. But nobody uses it because the BMP file format is terrible.
    I can't believe it, once again you got me. let's see if i can do this without errors: BMP is a picture format.

Thank you for some better explanation on DDS guys. I'm less timid about converting my PNGs to it now. I still don't understand what's going on under the hood completely, so I've not made a photoshop macro/batch yet. Yandros, do you have any recommendations on batching? How did you do waterfront racket, what program?

I kind of have mixed feeling when converting my png files to dds. Maybe it could be the converter, but I've had some issues with it.

1.) The file size would actually be larger that the png.
    2.) It would mess up the alpha mask for the material effects.

But when it comes to skyboxes, I'd prefer dds. I can use the plugin for Adobe Photoshop.

Actually, it's the PNG that is most likely to mess up alpha channel due to its transparency saving settings. If you save DDS with DXT3 compression and higher, alpha channel should be fine. Some of the DDS plugins are very old, so that might be the case too.

Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    Yandros, do you have any recommendations on batching? How did you do waterfront racket, what program?
    Actually, I don't remember for certain which app it was, as that was on an older PC which has since died and I've had no need to reinstall. But I think it was DDS Converter. As I recall, I divided textures into two folders based on transparency or not, and converted those with it with DXT3 or higher and those without with DXT1, trying to minimize file size. You could always just convert all with DXT3 or higher I suppose.

Actually, I don't remember for certain which app it was, as that was on an older PC which has since died and I've had no need to reinstall. But I think it was DDS Converter. As I recall, I divided textures into two folders based on transparency or not, and converted those with it with DXT3 or higher and those without with DXT1, trying to minimize file size. You could always just convert all with DXT3 or higher I suppose.
    Thank you! Even if I go with this or another, I appreciate the DXT1 vs DXT3 tip. I'm already stuttering with my cloud deck and massive chateau brick texture.

ZylonBane
    You should definitely make the effort to always use DXT1 for textures that don't have alpha. The difference in compression ratio is dramatic (6:1 vs 4:1).

Thanks for the clarity, ZB.

Sorry for the late reply again.
    The DDS skybox is working perfectly, even in high res (2048x2048). It's looking beautiful. I saved it as DXT1.

Thanks guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12