TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Fluttering, sliding banners

Fluttering, sliding banners

Fluttering banners

Yesterday I was poking around in the unused models, and found that there are models for fluttering banners: banner_{1-4} (Hammer), banne2_{1-4} (Blue), and banne3_{1-4} (Bafford). I don't believe they were never used in the OMs as shipped.

Well, technically the blue fluttering banner models were, because the stock FlutterBan2_0 object in the gamesys is set up to animate fluttering with a ModelTweq, but none of the OMs that use it have the tweq turned on as far as I can tell. You can look at how that object's tweq is set up to make similar banners.

The fluttering doesn't look as good as I'd like—but I wondered if it might work okay as a tell for secret passages, so I created a fluttering purple banner and dropped it in place of the banner hiding the passage to Bafford's throne rome:

Anyone used fluttering banners in their FMs? I don't think I've seen any, but then I haven't played most of them [yet ]

Sliding banners

Even more interesting than fluttering banners are the models for banners being slid aside: banasi_{1-7} (Hammer), banas2_{1-7} (Blue), and banas3_{1-7} (Bafford). There's no trace of these in the OM gamesys—although intriguingly some of LGS's tutorial missions reference them, but I don't have any matching gamesys that includes them.

So I whipped together a quick demo mission, using a ModelTweq to go between the normal model and the sliding ones (skipping a few in the middle, since you can only have 6 models in a tweq), and a squirrel script to run the tweq forwards or in reverse when frobbed. These actually look pretty neat, although there's issues with the banner being highlighted for frobbing instead of the objects behind—and if this was a secret passage, I couldn't walk through as the banner's still solid!

Skacky tells me they're using these models in The Black Parade. Any other FMs that use them? I'm interested to see how others overcome the frob/collision issues.

ZylonBane
    If you're getting Squirrel involved anyway, you could use it to animate the model sequence.

If you're interested, I did made some 3 jointed hanging banners in TROTB 2 that move like there's a breeze in the room. Click the image to see it in motion.

@ZylonBane: Sure I could use Squirrel to do timers and set the model name, but why reinvent that particular wheel? Especially for a quickly-hacked-together demo.

@GORT: Looks nice! Since my map is for the 20th anniversary contest, I've been sticking with stock TG resources for so long that I'd kinda forgotten anything else was possible

The former effect looks a lot better than the latter effect if you're just using stock resources - the Z-fighting on the slid-open banner is quite distracting. With a tweak to the models though, that would be an excellent effect.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    @ZylonBane: Sure I could use Squirrel to do timers and set the model name, but why reinvent that particular wheel? Especially for a quickly-hacked-together demo.
    My mistake, I foolishly thought you were demonstrating these models with the idea that other mission authors might use them in the future. I now understand that you were just showing off for no greater reason.

Don't be a fool.

I found something in the game files that looked interesting, and apparently not previously discussed on this forum; so I put together a quick test to see what it might look like. Since no other mission authors—nor you, despite your concern trolling—have expressed interest in using this, and I myself don't have any plans to use this idea in my own missions, of course I haven't yet invested the time to make this a robust script that's ready to be shipped in missions.

ZylonBane
    Which is why I was suggesting a way that all models could be used, so someone actually interested in using these models could use all of them.

Jesus. Tetchy much?

I could've sworn that there was at least one FM that has a few sliding banners, but I can't remember the name of it.
    Last edited by GORT; 9th Sep 2018 at 22:45.

The fluttering looks quite primitive, hehe. But I do like sliding banner animation. More realistic thing to do than smashing it with a sword.

Any other FMs that use them?
    Second mission of Death's Cold Embrace has a sliding banner near the crypt entrance.

Thief 2X has banners that flutter when you come close to them.

marbleman: thanks very much! I completely missed the sliding banner when I played DCE, I just immediately cut it down like a barbarian! :D

I've dug into those FMs to see how they work. I've also found there's a custom sliding banner by Schwaa in the Thief Object Repository that works in a similar way.

T2X's fluttering banners

T2X's banners flutter when you walk into them:

A Touch stimulus receptron spawns a bannermarker that is a PotionStim source; the banner's PotionStim receptron activates its ModelTweq, and the marker's PotionStim receptron destroys itself:

Schwaa's sliding banner

Schwaa's sliding banner is activated by a switch.

The readme decribes a simple and easy scripting setup: it uses a ModelTweq, and the TweqOnOff script to slide aside. I'm not sure with this setup how to make it close again:

DCE's sliding banner

DCE's banner slides aside when frobbed, then slides back when the secret switch is frobbed.

It's a complex but clever setup: the sliding banner generates a FrobStim stimulus when frobbed.

Its four FrobStim receptrons activate the ModelTweq; add the M-BannerOpen metaproperty for its behaviour when open; copy the CollisionType property so it no longer collides, then adds the FrobInert metaproperty so it can't be frobbed again yet.

The switch uses an NVRelayTrap to send a FrobStim stimulus back to the banner. Then the M-BannerOpen metaproperty's four FrobStim receptrons activate the ModelTweq; remove the M-BannerOpen metaproperty again, copy the CollisionType property from the archetype so it's solid once more, then aborts so the banner's receptrons don't react to this frob. The same switch also activates the banner's NVMetaTrap script, which removes the FrobInert metaproperty.

Last edited by vfig; 10th Sep 2018 at 09:14.