TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: AiWatchObj Works sometimes

AiWatchObj Works sometimes

I have working with a problem the least couple of days. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    In dromed its works almost every time, but not so often in Thief 2.
    Its all about a AiWatchObj link. The AI patrolls to a TrolPausePt, when he should frob a button.
    Its so frustrating when it works sometimes and sometimes not. If someone could give me a hint.
    I could upload the zip if someone would look at it. I would add a BIG TANKS in the readme.

The AI checks the conditions of the link (distance, alertness) every fraction of a second (I'm not sure of the exact frequency). You need to ensure the radius is quite generous, otherwise the AI could check (outside of radius, no action), walk through the object, get beyond the radius and then check again (outside the radius, no action).

The AI's alertness may be affecting things. You should ensure the maximum level (in the link data) is 2/Moderate in case the AI has seen you or been alerted by something else, such as an enemy AI or the noise of an object collision.

If the above advice helps, the tank I'd like is the Challenger 2.

Thanks for the answer. I'm not sure what these settings do. The setup is this:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Je...ew?usp=sharing
    The ai is team "Good". He had fight alot before the trolpause.
    Maybe i'll try TrigRoomObject instead, if i cant get this to work.

I'll see what i can do

Maybe a silly question, but does the AI always take more than 10 seconds between reaching the TrolPausePt again? If not, you need to decrease the reuse delay a bit.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltzer View Post
    He had fight alot before the trolpause.
    So he's still alerted.
    set game_mode_backup 0
    to find out what's going on with this AI.
    If he's still alerted, he needs higher priority in the AIWatchObj link (it's set default/none)

vfig:
    Not sure what you mean. He just stands there, on the trolpausept.

Unna:
    Thanks. I'll try to set priority to absolute.

I am really close to throw all in the trash bin. I have tested and tested. Sometimes it works and sometimes id does not.
    In Dromed it could work, but in the game it does not. I tried to change the radius on the trolpausept and set priority to absolute.
    It worked in Dromed, but not in game.

PM me the zip, I'll take a look. Note the object number of the AI.

Beltzer: (Edit: incorrect) I'm guessing that the default AIWatchObj created by the TrolPausePt (Wait, 5000ms, IdleGesture 0) and your own AIWatchObj link are getting in each other's way.

Rather than messing with their relative priorities and reset delays, I suggest just using a TrolPt here instead of a TrolPausePt, and (if you want that pause) add an extra step to your AIWatchObj link for the AI to wait for five seconds.
    Last edited by vfig; 10th Sep 2018 at 12:46. Reason: Oops, my bad

I'm reworking almost everything now. This is gonna take some times.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    TrolPausePts are not special and do not dynamically create AIWO links like some of you seem to think they do. All it has is the property which sets the default values of any AIWO link added to the marker, either manually in Dromed or at runtime by scripts. There should be no conflict between the WatchObj Default property and a link added and set manually unless you're ALSO adding another link at runtime.

Also, setting the priority to Absolute won't fix anything if the pseudoscript still isn't firing in the first place, or is getting aborted due to alertness or awareness settings. It's also generally a bad idea as actions with Absolute priority will ALWAYS execute when triggered, even if the AI is DEAD.

The AI is invincible.

The culprit is a motion that gets added twice. This prevents further actions.
    Either remove the motion from the aiwatchobj-link or from the metaproperty that has the same motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    All it has is the property which sets the default values of any AIWO link added to the marker, either manually in Dromed or at runtime by scripts.
    I guess I misunderstood the way Watch Link Defaults worked. Apologies.

Just in case someone stumbles across this thread in the future, there has to be enough light for the AI to see the object that has the AIWatchObj link. If you're in a situation where light sources can be turned off or doused, setting up the object to be a very low intensity light source itself to enable the AI to see it under any conditions.