TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Adding custom objects and content to Dromed/Dromed basic toolkit question

Adding custom objects and content to Dromed/Dromed basic toolkit question

So, I downloaded some custom objects and content from the "Thief Object Repository" site and from the custom resources list on the TTLG site, I attempted to add them to the object hierarchy list of objects and they appeared from following instructions as mentioned, the only problem I'm having is I get an error message when I draw and click on the grid to create a brush of the object and I can't remember what the message said, but I think it said, can't add object, it's not supported. I did update Dromed from version 1.18 to the most current version which is 1.26. I havn't tried it yet, but just wondering if that was the problem all along? Plus, I see another userful download to add as well to Dromed, it's the Dromed basic toolkit version 1.13 on this site to download, but it maybe an outdated version, is that the latest update for that add on as well? Thanks, to be honest since I'm not too familiar with using Dromed on a regular basis, I'm still learning. I want to build some great fan missions, it may be an old program to use, but it still works good for me!

ZylonBane

You're way off topic dude, you either going to answer my question or don't reply back, don't waste my time sending me random things that don't relate to Thief or Dromed, thanks!

Would help if you could post the exact error you're seeing. Sounds like possibly the model is in the wrong place and it's giving you a model not found error?

Well, now that I updated Dromed version 1.18 to 1.26, by the way, this is for Thief 2 not Thief Gold if you are wondering which game I'm using Dromed for. I'm assuming that why the model wasn't showing up was because of the outdated version of Dromed I was using. Now that it's up to date with the latest version, I should try again and see if the problem persists.

Zombified
    ah, a manual install of Dromed. this ought to be fun.

either install the editor using TafferPatcher, or use the basic toolkit, following the install instructions TO THE LETTER. then we can talk about how to add custom objects (which is pretty much just placing the new model into any resource path, creating the archetype at the proper place, and assigning the new model to it).

You're telling me I have to reinstall Dromed even though I have the latest version from 1.18 to 1.26? The current version shouldn't be an issue, maybe the version of the model was meant for version 1.26 and not version 1.18. To be honest, I just updated it yesterday, so I'll need to try again and see if I get the same error message this time with the latest version of Dromed. Unless if there is something really wrong where I'm getting the custom objects and contents from certain sites that don't support Dromed 1.26.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    He's saying that if you installed manually and don't know what you're doing, then there's a million things that could be wrong and it will be hard for us to help you. If you're having problems, first try installing with Tafferpatcher and use the toolkit to rule out anything related to the manual installation being the cause.

Let me get back to you once I try again to add the custom object that I was trying to add, no sense going any further if I already updated Dromed to the latest version. That may had been the problem all along, but it's a possibility.

Zombified
    all versions of Dromed allow creation of new archetypes/concretes, and support assigning a custom model name. the only thing that can go wrong is trying to assign a model that does not exist (in any valid resource or mod path), in that case, the console will display "WARNING: failed to load model" when trying to create the concrete.

Hey, I believe from what I can remember, that was the error message I got. Assertion failed "Warning: failed to load model" All I saw after that was a marker on the grid with no physical appearance of the actual model on the 3D view. That's exactly what happened to me.

You either mistyped the object's name in DromEd or didn't put it in the correct folder (which is /obj).

I did create a folder called obj into my Thief 2 directory folder. I put the custom object/content into the obj folder. I carefully typed in the object's name correctly in Dromed.

Zombified
    apparently not. put it into a modfolder (see cam_mod.ini). also make sure the model name is not longer than 15 characters, there are a few places where Dark has this limit.

So, type in the model name in the file "cam_mod.ini For example "Thief Woman" which is the custom model I'm trying to add. Extract the .zip folder and create a mod folder in my Thief 2 directory folder and put the .bin file into the mod folder?

Zombified
    no. you have a list of modfolders in your cam_mod.ini, like
    mod_path .\CANDLES+.\usermods+.\ep2+.\MODS\t2water+.\MODS\t2skies+.\patchedmis
    those are all modfolders, either use those, or add a folder of your own:
    mod_path .\CANDLES+.\usermods+.\ep2+.\MODS\t2water+.\MODS\t2skies+.\patchedmis+.\mymodfolder
    place the new model into mymodfolder\obj, unzipped.

also, "Thief Woman" would suggest an AI model, not an object. if that's the case, it needs to be placed in mymodfolder\mesh folder.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    So, type in the model name in the file "cam_mod.ini For example "Thief Woman" which is the custom model I'm trying to add
    Uhm, no, you specify the object or mesh name in the Shape > Model name property on the new object or archetype in Dromed. You don't need to add the name of the object or mesh in any config or ini file. The ZIP file does need to be extracted either to your T2 root folder or a mod folder as voodoo has been saying, but make sure it is in the obj or mesh folder. In the case of an AI, it needs to be in the mesh folder. The .bin and .cal files go in /mesh and the textures go in /mesh/txt16.

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    object/content
    Okay so you used the wrong path indeed.

You can use mod but you can use a folder named "Obj" with subfolder but the one for the texture (named "txt" or "txt16")
    The mesh (bin file) should be not zipped and be not seperated from it "cal" file.

Post screenshots of your folder hierarchies so we can examine them.

Oh ok, sure I'll post some screenshots of my hierarchy setup so you can see and understand what I'm doing. Its much easier that way so you can see it visually rather than explaining it using words.

Before you go exercising everyone, you might want to do your homework first. Have you read the TUTORIALS? In particular, you might want to check out: How to import files into Thief by Totality

Thank you for the info, this will be very helpful, I'll check it out.