TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: When do you play Thief?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8-10 PM

8 33.33%
  • 10-12 PM

14 58.33%
  • After midnight

14 58.33%
  • 2-4 AM

6 25.00%
  • 4-6 AM

3 12.50%
  • In the morning

1 4.17%
  • At noon

1 4.17%
  • In the afternoon

2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: When is the best time to play Thief?

When is the best time to play Thief?

At what time of day/night do you usually play Thief? As for myself, I find great comfort in taffing around at about 3-4 AM. Everything is so calm and quiet when I look throughout the window (I live in the countryside) and then launch the game. Also, I remember that last month I had a chance to play Running Interference just before the dawn and it was a magical experience (especially with that beautiful moon outside Lady Rumford's mansion!).
    Last edited by Aemanyl; 10th Sep 2018 at 17:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    As for myself, I find great comfort in taffing around at about 3-4 AM. Everything is so calm and quiet when I look throughout the window (I live in the countryside) and then launch the game.
    Definitely the night time. I play during the day sometimes, but it's not the same, it's more difficult to immerse myself in it

i personally like to play when a fm is released since a lot more people are playing the same fan mission ,so if anyone get stuck ,there is usually someone who can help when someone gets stuck

Still Subjective
    I find great comfort in taffing around at about 3-4 AM.
    This 1.5 hrs before I wake up to go to work, so no.

Any time of the day is good, unless you've never heard of curtains or blinds. Or headphones.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    unless you've never heard of curtains or blinds. Or headphones.
    And then?

Judith, yes, but playing during the day is still different. Like Azaran said it's more difficult to immerse yourself in it. Also, most people (including myself) don't have much time during the day.

I'm not saying it isn't different, but it can be done fairly easily. Window curtains, blinds, or whatever you need to avoid glare on your monitor, paired with good headphones or earphones, and you're good to go. There is no mystical quality to any particular time of day, it's just your personal preference. I don't have time to play during week days as well, but I save that for weekends, if I weather is bad or I don't feel like going out, etc.

Still Subjective
    I used to play in the afternoon, when I was at uni, but I had really thick curtains (I don't like being woken by the sun).

In the home office now I couldn't make it dark enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't different, but it can be done fairly easily. Window curtains, blinds, or whatever you need to avoid glare on your monitor, paired with good headphones or earphones, and you're good to go. There is no mystical quality to any particular time of day, it's just your personal preference. I don't have time to play during week days as well, but I save that for weekends, if I weather is bad or I don't feel like going out, etc.
    Correct, nocturnal atmosphere can be achieved fairly easily. But I disagree that there is no "mystical quality to any particular time of day". As you said, it's not a problem to fake nocturnal or diurnal conditions, but it's still not the same as real night or day. Let's say you want to watch a horror movie, wouldn't it be more proper to wait untill nightfall, so that you can feel an authentic fear? It's the same with playing Thief. I usually play this game at night, when I'm alone at home. When I hear a strange noise during gameplay, I'm not always sure whether it comes from the game or from the real world. So I often turn around to see if these are "just rats" or something more.

Late evening, just before going to bed.

Correct, nocturnal atmosphere can be achieved fairly easily. But I disagree that there is no "mystical quality to any particular time of day". As you said, it's not a problem to fake nocturnal or diurnal conditions, but it's still not the same as real night or day. Let's say you want to watch a horror movie, wouldn't it be more proper to wait until nightfall, so that you can feel an authentic fear? It's the same with playing Thief. I usually play this game at night, when I'm alone at home. When I hear a strange noise during gameplay, I'm not always sure whether it comes from the game or from the real world. So I often turn around to see if these are "just rats" or something more.
    "More proper"? Not sure what you mean, as, e.g. you can go to the cinema at any hour, and you will feel "authentic fear" every time (unless cinematographers screwed something up). Actually, I prefer watching horror movies a bit earlier, so the scary stuff doesn't get into my dreams right after.

Chakat sex pillow
    I play Thief and watch movies whenever I feel like it. For Thief it's more often at night, sure, but if I really wanted an 'authentic' experience I'd probably go stalk drunk people in an alley and cosh them over the head when they're not looking if I were really that deprived of immersion and/or suspension of disbelief in my life.

Best time to play is late at night after everyone else has gone to bed. I actually donít do this as I am likely to play all night.

I play an hour or two before bed.

At night, but I don't like playing that late. As I begin to just wanting to finish the mission, and start getting fed up with the labyrinthine nature of thief levels.

I like to start the game somewhere around 11pm, right about the time when everyone who is going to be asleep inside, already is. Saturday night is optimal.

I start the game around 11, because it feels like the right time to be nosing around Baffords. It certainly adds an amazing depth to the already jovial nature. Playing Dark Project after some sort of family party is best for this.

As the Missions begin to peel off, and we descend further into the evening, as well as the bowels of Hell, we get closer to the inevitable. At around 1am its time to begin getting the Talismans.

After conspiring with the shadows, and walking amonst the living dead, and then the final journey back to the Haunted Cathedral.

There is something epic, about sneaking through the night, the long exhaustive night, only to arrive at the front doors of The Haunted Cathedral at just about 4am, just before the sun will be poking around.

Once the Haunted Cathedral is finally behind, the rest of the game feels right as the sun begins coming up. The darkest areas, and the need for shadows become exponentially less.

At this point, the sun is welcome to these weary bones, to help bring this baby home.

Thief: The Dark Project