TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Do you use subtitles in Thief?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't use subtitles

8 80.00%
  • I use English subtitles when available

1 10.00%
  • I use localised subtitles when available

1 10.00%

Thread: Do you use subtitles?

Do you use subtitles?

Since NewDark supports subtitles in Thief, do you use them when playing? If a fan mission has subtitle support, do you turn that on?

If your preferred language is not English, and you're playing a fan mission with new dialog in English, would you want subtitles? English subtitles or subtitles in your language?

(For example, there's English subtitles for The Dark Project/Thief Gold and English subtitles for The Metal Age, and I know that people have made subtitles in Turkish, Polish, and more.)

I've never tried the subtitles until I clicked the links you provided. I think I've gone so long without them that it feels odd using them, I'd rather use my ears to listen to the dialogue rather than reading it on the screen since Thief is very much about using sound to locate enemies, especially when the subtitles reveal everything that NPC will say, which can be problematic if they're saying alot. I probably would've used it if I knew of the option when I first played though.

It's good for non-english speakers who never got a dub, or want to experiance the english voice actors, so I definately approve of the option.

Quote Originally Posted by some1stoleit View Post
    especially when the subtitles reveal everything that NPC will say
    That's configurable. For example. if you put subtitles_hide_types fx+bark+urgent in your user.cfg, then you'll only see subtitles for conversations, Garrett's inner monolog, and movies. (And each of those kinds can be hidden too if you prefer).