TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Script Loading Problem?

Thanks, but I'm still not sure if I get it.

1- If the problem was extra stuff added to the door archetype, it might explain why the door stayed FrobInert. But it doesn't explain why the scroll didn't get destroyed.
    2- If the problem can be remedied by using TrapRelay on object 335, it implies the scripts loaded properly but the test system got stuck, as you said above. So why when I created a test version of the mission and added a totally separate "lever -> NVRelayTrap -> an AnimLight", the lever didn't change the light state when the testers manually frobbed it?

What is the exact nature of the conflict? Having a marker with NVRelayTrap (335) ? And a door that already has a script in the "Script 2" slot? These two explain the behaviour of the door and scroll, but not why the light switch didn't work (I don't have the full dml file to see what it does afterwards).

By the way, my mission loads miss10.osm too, so moving your suspicious fix to a separate non-global file might still conflict with it?
    Last edited by Haplo; 5th Oct 2018 at 08:41.

Zombified
    the conflict is elsewhere - it manifests if a marker object uses NVRelayTrap but has no script parameters specified. exactly what happened on obj 335.

yeah, if I move the suspicious script fix away, that basically means whoever is using it in their FM will only get the default unfixed one. you can't have your cake and eat it too (or a global fix that has a zero chance of creating problems in some scenarios).

I might have a few markers in my mission with NVRelayTrap and no script parameters. So I need to go and change them all, if I understand correctly? (Just in case some users don't install the future fixed TFix).
    And do I need to do anything with that particular door?

I think you misunderstood my question about miss10.mis. If you move the global fix to some non-global location, will you make it become effective automatically if miss10.mis is loaded, or a manual loading of the fix by the users will be required? If the former, any mission that loads miss10.osm might still experience the same problem.

Zombified
    hmm, that's the question. I'd say that if you don't require any of the advanced functionality NVScript provides, it's probably better to use the default scripts.

if I move the fix away, it will only activate for people playing the original TFixed campaign, nothing else (will go that way most likely, safer is better than fixed in this case).

Ok, one last question... How does it only affect the markers that have NVScript and no script parameter? To me it looks like the due to the code below:

+ObjProp -36 "Scripts"
    {
    "Script 0" NVRelayTrap
    }
    +ObjProp -36 "DesignNote"
    {
    "" NVRelayTrapOn="HoldIt"; NVRelayTrapTDest="[source]"; NVRelayTrapOnDelay=3500; NVRelayTrapTOn="BashPlayer"; NVRelayTrapOff="Null";
    }
    If a maker has NVRelayTrap and some script parameters, but let's say it doesn't have NVRelayTrapTOn, it will inherit NVRelayTrapTOn="BashPlayer" from the archetype, due to above. So the problem could manifest on any NVRelayTrap marker in different ways, depending on what combination of script parameters it has.

(Unless the concrete design note totally overwrites the archetype design note, instead of appending to it).

Zombified
    yeah, this obviously has potential to create problems, hence, I'll move it away.

I've tested the replacement and can confirm it works.

Why didn't it show up in DromEd?

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    Because this dml is loaded automatically only in Thief.exe, and not in DromEd.

Any high-level gamesys-type fixes that use NVScript should probably use high-number ones, e.g. NVRelayTrap9), as those are far less likely to be used by FM authors anyway.

Zombified
    exactly. anyway, TFix 1.26a, suspicious script fix moved away from the global gamesys dml and updated NVScript to the latest version while at it.

I may have a second look at this, but I think that generally, advanced fixup setups are probably better off not being in the global gamesys, unless they are fixing something very critical.

Dóttirin klćđist oft móđur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post

You need to add this line

apply_dbmods 1

to dromed.cfg

Zombified
    careful with that, as that will load ALL dmls INTO the map, permanently.

...if you save the mis/cow

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    Interesting, John. Just to be clear, are you saying that your path to NVScript is
    Thief\NVScript
    directly in the top thief folder?

My path to NVScript is an ingtermediate folder,
    Thief\OSM\NVScript
    I can't be sure, but I guess that Thief\OSM\ is where TFIX puts them. TFIX may be the culprit here because Haplo does not have a TFIX install, and he does not have the problem. We testers have TFIX installs, and we have the problem.
    Honestly I don't have a path to NVScript. I should withdraw my post because my installation of Thief Gold is however Steam installed it. (I lost the original disc 2 which is why I obtained ThiefG from Steam)

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I lost the original disc 2 which is why I obtained ThiefG from Steam)
    GOG is better than Steamm in that case. It offers the image file to download and install, just like any original game. By the way... does anyone explain to me how an original game already comes with newDark 1.2.5 (unoficial) in a official store of original game???

Arcane voodoo magic.

Quote Originally Posted by leconbras View Post
    GOG is better than Steamm in that case. It offers the image file to download and install, just like any original game. By the way... does anyone explain to me how an original game already comes with newDark 1.2.5 (unoficial) in a official store of original game???
    I guess it didn't matter because I see all of the files and folders just like they were in the original install. I didn't have to run Steam to play ThiefG or dromed.

I'm still worried about the players who will not upgrade their TFix (e.g. they don't know about the update, or don't know how to). I'd like to minimise the hassle for them.

As things stand now, almost all the markers with NVRelayTrap are broken in my mission. Most of them have a single NVRelayTrapDelay as their script parameter, and they are inheriting NVRelayTrapOn, NVRelayTrapOff, NVRelayTrapTDest and NVRelayTrapTOn from the archetype.

One way to fix this is to audit all such markers and add default values for the parameters above.
    Another way is to audit all and increment the script index (NVRelayTrap->NVRelayTrap2, etc).
    Both ways are laborious and error-prone.

I was hoping to be able to override that gamesys.dml with a miss23.mis.dml and the contents below:

Code:
    DML1

+ObjProp -36 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0"
            "Don't Inherit" true
    }

+ObjProp -36 "DesignNote"
    {
    	""
    }
    The idea is to clear the values set by gamesys.dml. Is this possible? I'm not sure if a "+" needs to be used before ObjProp, or a "-", or nothing. I need to do some DML RTFM.

You already have some sort of version check in the mission: a door which doesn't open and a readable.
    In the readable, point the players to osm/gamesys.dml. The players need to rename it and restart the game/mission.
    If corrected, the door opens and the readable gets destroyed.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    I was hoping to be able to override that gamesys.dml with a miss23.mis.dml and the contents below:
    not going to work, and I would recommend not to mess around too much, either tell everyone to update with the latest TFix, or they can edit gamesys.dml and delete the script fix bit (or rename gamesys.dml to tfix.gam.dml if they still want to play the vanilla campaign). easy enough.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 6th Oct 2018 at 05:53.

Ok. Now for my own general understanding of DMLs...if gamesys.dml adds a design note, is it possible to delete it using a -ObjProp in a mission-specific DML (miss23.mis.dml)?
    And another question... if a mission-specific DML does an ObjProp "DesignNote", will it replace the design note set by gamesys.dml, or will it append to it?

Zombified
    depends on how the priorities are set up - in this case, the OSM dml will rule them all. so as mentioned, it's been fixed in the latest TFix, the smartest and simplest way is just to update and live happily ever after, no need to try to safeproof it from your side anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12