TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM Durant (Final version released 10/24/2001)

LOL! It's been awhile since I've played this one, but I think you'll find it
    spoiler:
    in a bedroom at the top of the stairs that are across from the elevator door, on the same level as the Warehouse room with the door to the street.
    I'm not positive about that, so if it's not right, post again and I'll go find it for you.

Actually I managed to find the book myself (It wasn't hidden, I must of just passed over it- all of these mechanists books look exactly alike, I swear it's impossible to remember which ones you read!). Anyway, in finding the code I needed I ticked on another objective, "kill the prototype child"...aw damn, just when I thought I could see the ending...I heard something about needing acid arrows to kill it, any idea how to find the acidic solution I need in order to make them? Please...just this one last question and I'll leave you alone (until I start playing "Hidden Agenda" that is, which is my next FM in line for beating).

NM got it. LOL, I feel like such an idiot!! The acid arrows were in my inventory the entire time...When all else fails use those obscure next/previous weapon keys. Thx for your help wild_inferno9 and Nightwalker!

You're going to love Hidden Agenda! It's another fantastic FM. Make sure you play it on Expert, though, to see the whole thing.

Hehe, already started it on hard- the thought of playing on expert just scares me. The only FM I ever played on expert was "Turning the Tables" and that was brutal...

This is one mission that's worth playing on more than one difficulty setting. AsYlum went to great lengths to give it a lot of replay value. After you've done it on Hard, try it again on Expert and you won't regret it.

I'll have to try it on expert another time then. I just hate knock-out limits, my black jack gets sad when it remains unused for too long.

Durant

I need some help here. I can't get into the antiquities shop because i messed with the cog machine before i found the book that said that it would never work again if you tried it one more time so i can't seem to get inside. i tried a couple of fire arrows with an explosive charge and i have climbed up and down and all around and have been on several tours of the sewers with no luck, so is there any way in to de perrins without that darn cog? i really don't want to go that far back and all i need is 400 loot to finish this mission. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

As far as I know, the only way in is with that cog, I'm afraid.

did the door to the machine blow up?
    If not then you haven't even used it yet.
    Just messing with the numbers doesn't mess the machine up.

Not sure

I did see some steam or something but the door seems to be intact. But it seems that there are several numbers on the pad that don't seem to work. I thought that I could try messing with the numbers and see some kind of pattern shows up but if there is I can't seem to get it and it won't take the
    spoiler:
    at all anymore.

As a last ditch idea, the starburst (aka the big explosion device) can blow the door off the hinges. It's in one of the storage areas in the mech basement.

Another question for this excellent mission:

Where do you find the number that you have to enter at the cog press machine in the Mechanists' building?

When you enter the Mechanist building from the street door that takes you into the Warehouse room,
    spoiler:
    go through it and open the door on the left that's across from the door to the hallway with the elevator. Upstairs in one of the rooms is a book lying on the floor. The combination is in it and it also gives you a new objective about something else.

Thanks, NIghtwalker. That was fast . I had completely overlooked that book and already wondered what those special arrows are for... And now the long search for 355 gold . I don't know if I really want to do this. Sneaking around all those guards yet again is getting tiresome...

Durant - looking for the last 40 gold

I've been replaying this mission in order to make a loot list. But now I'm missing the last 40 gold (I have 2767 of 2807) and can't keep up the concentration to search everywhere yet again. Does anyone here of some loot that's easily overlooked or hard to find? I have found no loot at all in the hotel, the restaurant, the market, the cops' area and the sewers excluding the crypts (2 items). Also nothing on the streets.
    If it would help, I could post my incomplete list, but I have never seen such lists here in the forum - would that be OK or is there some unspoken rule against it?
    BTW, this has become one of my favorite missions in no time at all. Great story, interesting places. But almost too hard if you play on expert, to say nothing of ghosting with these hyper-sensitive guards.

Have you found the "ordinary" bottle of wine in the locked cabinet of the mansion basement? I should have made a loot list long ago.

I don't have thief installed at the moment, but maybe someone can do a report in dromed for you.

Mazur

Just a late note:

You can also gain entry into the mech structure by using a vine arrow on the grating above a window that is above the large warehouse door.

Very odd...5 hours and 50 minutes into the Durant mission, and I've been all through the Mechanist facility, and only just before I'm about ask on here just exactly what IS the prototype child do I actually see it for the very first time! Destroyed it right away with one acid arrow...it's no wonder that was my last objective to be fulfilled...

Crowemagnon

Ghost

More child nonsense

[Nightwalker, anyone else]

I want to destroy the child. But I have no idea where the child is!

spoiler:
    I have the acidic arrows. I noticed a big crate that says "Contents -- one Child of Karras, some assembly required" or somesuch... but I can't get into the crate. I'm guessing that maybe they already unpacked the child; but where is it?

Do I need to get the sewer key to find the child? When I open the sewer door downstairs, will that dump me in the lap of the haunt I saw earlier when I was down in the sewers?

Thanks,

Dafydd

Unless there's a different version to mine and it's changed, the Golden Git is in

spoiler:
    the little mech cathedral, behind a secret door which is opened by something upstairs, but I forget what exactly, it's been a while

Hope it helps a bit!

I'm not positive but I think that
    spoiler:
    the golden child is released automatically once you trigger the objective. I've never actually done anything that I'm aware of to let him out. He seems to have a fairly long patrol route so you just may not be in the right place at the right time. He should be in the building somewhere though.
    If you want to check if he's out yet or not, check the office on the main floor, just outside the chapel doors (I think that's where it is.). There should be an open alcove in the wall if he's out on patrol.

Ghost

Thanks!

[Balrog, Nightwalker]

In true thiefly fashion, I think I'll just stand in the darkened watchstation next to the office and wait to ambush him.

No, wait, that won't work; I have to find someplace where the body won't be discovered, since I'm ghosting. Unless I can pick it up and move it...?

Dafydd

If I remember correctly, I don't think you can move the body so you'll have to find someplace where it won't be discovered by other AI.

Ghost

Another Q

[NW, B, &c]

I decided to leave killing the Golden Child until last; I wonder if its patrol takes it up the stairs from the chapel/office level to the two rooms above? If so, that's the only place I can think of to kill it that won't be on a patrol path. Or maybe it pokes its nose into the (now dark) room off the room downstairs from the chapel -- the room on the opposite side as the sewer door... but somehow I doubt it.

If it only goes along other AI's patrol paths, I don't know what to do to avoid having my ghost busted. I tried killing it in the machine room downstairs, but even though the body was in the corner in partial darkness, the patrolling guard saw it from the other side of the bank of generators!

I have this terrible feeling that the Child of Karras patrols from the crate where it was shipped, along the corridor into the office, through the door into the chapel, down the stairs into the sewer-access room, into the generator room, and then back again... every step of which is followed by other AIs.

Yeesh.

But I have another question now: I'm in the mansion; I just frobbed the telescope, opened the picture, and picked open the safe; there was a button on the right that says something like "press to disengage alarm." I assumed that meant it would turn off the watchers... but when I pressed it, it did no such thing, neither on the third nor the second floors. What's up with that? How do I turn off the watchers for fifteen minutes?

Edit: Oops, nevermind; I found the switch that shuts off the watcher (the "Estate Camera") -- and it appears to shut it off for longer than fifteen minutes -- possibly forever? Doesn't matter; I was out in about seventeen minutes, having (I think) looted the place.

spoiler:
    I suppose the alarm-disable switch just shuts off the big, red buttons that guards can push to sound the alarm. This does not in the least affect me, because while ghosting, if even a single guard spots me, I'm busted -- whether he sets off the estate alarm or not!

All right, I'm off to my last task, other than getting back to the safehouse: I have to kill that stupid Child of Karras. Now I reckon I'll find out whether there is any safe place to off the little brat, or if I get busted no matter what I do.

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 29th Nov 2003 at 21:52.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast