TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rogue's Honour - 2000.01.31 - HELP !!

Rogue's Honour - 2000.01.31 - HELP !!

Am playing Rogue's Honour on easy. I am in the Orb room but can't take the orb. I have a deer leg from the store BUT ??? Any help appreciated. - The Geez

Did you put out the fire in the furnace down below this room? If it works properly, that's supposed to take away the field that guards the orb. Unfortunately, occasionaly you hit a bug in this one, and the field won't disappear. Sometimes, you can grab it anyway, but you take some damage. Mostly, you just can't get it. It did this to me last time I played it, which is annoying, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Thanks Nightwalker -- I thought I was worse than I really am !!!!!!! Take care -- the Geez

Taking a break

I had the exact same problem, putting out the fire didn't work. You can do some sort of lean at just the right angle and it will light up and you can grab it

Thanks keeper !!! --The geez

Rogue's Honor

I can't figure out how to get the golden egg... help a poor taffer please.

If you're at the bit where I think you are, you have to go to the room underneath where the egg is and put out the fire thingy with a water arrow..

Hope that helps..

It's a truly masterpiece of a mission, isn't it? Not particularly hot architechturarly(sp?), but technically its a great feat.. It has an in-game equipment store and in-game mid-mission cutscenes for god's sake!

also, Totality included an extra .srt file you can read in Notepad where he says how he did all the funky parts of the miss, plus his original intentins for the mission, kinda like a designer's diary..

This mission was a great technical feat at the time it came out, and many FMs have used bits and pieces of the new tricks since then. Unfortunately, most of the new stuff was bugged to some degree (I wound up with negative loot in the store), and the architecture wasn't anything to write home about (not to mention I thought the voice acting was terrible). I had to stop inside the mansion because I was sick of the mission crashing. To this date, I've never had a mission crash to the desktop more than once or twice except for this one (I think I stopped playing after crash #8 or so). Still, it is an amazing mission, and rather humorous, too (that shroom farm was rather amusing).

Rogue's Honour residual questions

i came back to this mission after maybe a year away, and i finally discovered the hidden locks and switch that allow you to get to the back area with the orb. so i finally finished, but with a lot of questions remaining:

i read in another post that you have to "get to the room beneath the orb" and put out the fire to lower the force field. but another post said you could snarf the orb if you leaned at just the right angle, which i did. so i'm curious about the room i missed.

what is the point of the nearby gravity well? i unlocked the panel and found nothing behind it. one switch closes the door, and one lowers the rock in the well. is this all just for show like the room across the way with the wizard's tricks?

is the first objective supposed to get nixed or is there another way to do things?

i read of a cutscene. i don't recall ever seeing this. when does it occur and what is revealed?

i never got into the warehouse safe. is that at all important?

can you get the ankh in the glass case in the library?

the elevator from the mine tunnels: the doors won't open at the top, nor will they open from the warehouse side. it sounds like the button outside the elevator calls it from below, but what does the one inside do? and how about the one behind the bar nearby in the warehouse?

the double doors of the hammer cathedral open to reveal a door that does not. what the crap?

alright. i'm done thinking about this one.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer a few so here goes.
    1. There is a furnace room below the orb. If you put out the fire in there the force field around the orb should disappear. Sometimes it doesn't work, which is why a few people managed to figure out how to pick it up with the field still one.

2. How did you get the "rock" out of the gravity well? You are supposed to make sure the switches are set to "Off", open the lower panel, cut the wires, then turn it on again. Then things get interesting! The rock ends up on the floor so you can pick it up, but the door also locks and the gravity in the room reverses, so you are dragged up to the ceiling. It's a very tricky spot to get through.

3. By the first objective, you mean the one about finding the cave system? If you go in through the warehouse, that one get's ticked off, but if you go in through the house, it gets xed out.

4.There is a cutscene that is very well done. It kicks in in a hallway close to the bar and reveals a scene between two guards in the bar. I don't recall what they're talking about, though.

5. The warehouse safe isn't important. There's really not all that much in there.

6. I don't remember if you can get this or not.

7. The elevator to the mine tunnels works, at least for me. You push the button and the elevator comes up and you just wait a bit and the doors open. When you go in, the elevator doors close and it descends.

The button behind the bar calls the guard to open the door into the area with the elevator, I believe.

8. You can get into the Hammer Cathedral from the rooftops. I've done it a couple of times. I seem to remember reading that you weren't supposed to get in there, but the beta testers got into it, so he put some things in there just to make it worthwhile for anyone who managed it. It's pretty tricky to get in, though.

In the Cathedral I got myself behind the secret door and shut it behind me. DUH, my bones are there now cause I couldn't get it back open from the inside.

thanks so much, nightwalker. thou art truly the greatest single resource in all of thiefdom.

but how does one get to the furnace room?

i didn't get the rock out of the well, i just saw it move vertically after throwing a switch.

it appears this mission is rather buggy, since i couldn't get the elevator to work, and never saw the cutscene. perhaps it's because i went in through the 2nd story window of the manor, rather than through the warehouse. i'll try it again someday.

The furnace room isn't hard to find, you must have just missed a hallway downstairs. The elevator should have worked, but it's quite alright to go in through the second story window of the house, as well. It shouldn't stop anything from functioning properly. It's really a very good mission, well worth playing.

I just played this one last month for the first time and on expert. On that difficulty you do have to get the ankh and to do so requires the magic wand in the upstairs room with the jumping bean. It took me forever to get the warehouse safe open but I finally did and damn was I disappointed at how little loot was in there! I don't know how you were able to get into the house via the second floor cause when I played (again this could be due to difficulty level) the glass in those windows was unbreakable. I did end up getting into the Hammer Cathedral but it takes a whole hell of a lotta crates and barrel stacking to do so and there's nothing inside except a note congratualating you for getting into a place you weren't supposed to be and doesn't even count for one of the level's four secrets (!)
    "That I an accessary needs must be
    To that sweet thief which sourly robs from me."
    William Shakespeare, sonnet 35

i just played through it again, and almost everything worked properly. this time i went through the warehouse to get to the mansion as directed by the obectives, and the elevator worked as did the cutscene. another interesting difference: the first time i played i didn't get the guards who appear and turn on the lights when you open the gate and enter the orb area. that was a cool touch, and made the area much more challenging. i don't know squat about dromed, but i'm guessing i missed the triggers on all counts by approaching the mission differently. also on my first time through, the mission ended when i left the manor through the front door. this time i couldn't end it at all. weird.

spamlet - where did you stack the crates and barrels? i got to the roof and tried to shoot a rope arrow above the bell, but missed and lost it forever. it looked too high to reach anyway, so did you lug all that crap up there to stand on?

i think i only found one secret - the two chests behind the mini cave-in. what are the others? thanks.

Rogue's Honor - first puzzle

I'm in the warehouse and want to get into the treasure chest, but these word puzzles kill me. Clues on how to decipher it? [Sly]

Taking a break

IIRC, the words mean nothing and is just a mean trick. Buy the stethascope in the store and use it on the chest to hear the proper clicks

Rogue's Honor - how to get ankh

Have different keys and have found ankh, but can't get it out of its water-like (?) container. Do I have to go back upstairs and use the keys on the machine? [Wot?]

Thiefmissions.com

Later you'll find an item that will help you get the ankh. It's pretty well-clued when you find it.
    - J<

rogue's honour

hi..at the risk of sounding Brain Dead..I still haven't figured out how to use the stethoscope on the safe in rogues honour. When I deploy it and try to use it by clicking the mouse,I dont hear anything. If I click on the safe without it I hear a chomping sound.
    Any idea what I,m doing wrong?
    Thanks

You use it like a key, with your right mouse button, on the dials that turn. When you've done it correctly, you'll hear "Now we are getting somewhere", then you can use the lightning bolt things to move the dials one at a time. When one of the dials reaches the correct spot, it will make a louder "click" sound, then just move down to the next one until they've all clicked into place, pull the lever and the door opens.

rogue's honour - am I just spastic or what?

I can't get into the warehouse. I am up on the roof by the trap door (I assume this is supposed to be the way in) but my jumps always come up just short and then I slide back. Am I just spastic or have I missed something somewhere??

I'm not sure what trap door you mean, but the easiest way in is to go through the side gate, around the back and climb in by some barrels in an open shed. You can get into the house itself by climbing in an attic window, but that bypasses some of the game, so you miss some fun stuff.

Nightwalker, I know the spot you mean, there is sort of a conveyor belt with the barrels on it, right? I tried jumping up onto the belt and/or crawling in a few dozen times without success, but I will try that again. I guess my spasticity is the answer after all.
    Thanks for your help.

But FWIW, about this other possible entrance: on the roof of the warehouse, almost directly above the front door, is a skylight which can be opened. Surely some diligent roofwalker must have spotted this....

Very cool! I never noticed that before. You can get in through that skylight, but it's difficult to get up on top of that part of the roof. I did manage it, though,after a few tries.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast