TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Lord Alan's Basement (Dec.4/2001)

TG FM: Lord Alan's Basement (Dec.4/2001)

I just got Lord Alan's Basement and am stuck...

I opened the trapdoors, shot a rope-arrow in the ground, climbed down a bit and there's a tunnel from south to north - ok

But what now? I cannot get into it - and it doesn't look like it was possible either. It's not high enough to stand in it - so I cannot just jump in and I also cannot jump at the edge and pull up. Falling down to the ground leads nowhere and the locked gate on the outside leads nowhere (I climbed the roof and got on the other side).

So I'm quite sure, I have to get into that tunnel.

I'm really not a newbie to thief, having played all FMs I could find (more than 120) - so I find this a bit strange...

Download links(added by Nightwalker):
    http://thiefmissions.com/m/Basement
    http://thief-thecircle.com/missions/
    http://www.ttlg.de/de/download/navig...M-Download.xml
    http://darklurker.org/TG.html

Navigate to threads for each part of the 'Lord Alan Series':
    1. Lord Alan's Basement (Thief Gold) (currently viewing)
    1. Lord Alan's Basement
    2. Lord Alan's Fortress
    3. Lord Alan's Factory
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 9th Sep 2012 at 11:49. Reason: updated and added links

Spoiler:
    I haven't gotten far in it yet, either, but if you go and check the plants on the other side of the yard from the trapdoor, you'll find a hole in the ground. It looks deep, but one side is slanted a bit, so you can run down. Just make sure you put the brakes on before you hit the bottom or you'll fall down another pit.

Hi smeagol, I've just started on that fm as well. Haven't finished it as I'm stuck a little further past the tunnels spoilers coming:
    Spoiler:
    you need to get back into the tunnels. Watch the floor carefully as some drops are deep enough to kill you, some are shallow enough that they won't hurt. Scoot around in there taking the passages that don't require dropping down first. Theres really only one way to move thru this place. Listen for spiders, they're guarding loot. Finally drop down to the next level. You can tell which drop to take cause there's enough light to see which ones are to deep. Finally there'll be a drop but its really more like a steep slide and you'll be in the basement. I've gotten a lot further, but don't want to spoil the mission for you. Oh yea, I didn't try the climb over a wall thing, maybe I'll restart some day and try that, sounds cool. The garden where the mission starts is where I entered (dropped) into the tunnel area. I'm playing on expert. So far I've got the hand of glory and 1880 loot total, been at it for 1:57:58.

Goodluck taffer, jab

Thanks - that did it !

OK, I got into the basement, here's where I'm having trouble:

Spoiler:
    I'm at the part with the four grates and two levers. I got a key from behind one of them. I found two metal doors I can't open. I tried stacking crates. That seems to hold the doors, but I can't slip past the crates. What do I do?

Stauf

Spoiler:
    I had trouble with the gates, too. I don't know if there's a way to actually get in through them. What I did was take two crates into the room inside the first grate and stack them under the round hole in the wall. From the top of the second crate, it is possible to crawl through the tunnel and into the area on the other side. Very thiefy way of getting in. I liked it.

Spoiler:
    I'm not finished with this mission either. So far it's going good.

There is a way to get all 4 gates open at once. I've done it but I'm not sure exactly what did it. I think what did it was two press buttons on 2 generator like devices. There's an opening to the left of the 2 outer gates. I think I went in through there and worked my way around.

There are a lot of keys in this mission and some of them are a little hard to find. If you open the right gate there's a key in the round hole in the second room I think. That should help you get past these initial areas.

This one has me stymied. It has some definite strengths, but the map is so labyrinthine and hard for me to navigate and there are so many keys to obtain that I'm not having much fun about now.

Okay:
    Spoiler:
    I've got the hand of glory and about 3950 loot, but I cannot find the key to the door in Alan's workshop (where all the silver pieces were), nor can I figure out the puzzle involving the Horn of Quintus. Can anybody help? As best I can figure, I'm missing two crucial keys -- one to a gray metal door in the southern part of the area and the one I mentioned above.

Btw, the buttons on the two generators do indeed open all the gates at the outset. Nightwalker's method works fine, though.

NoCokePepsi - How and where did you get the Hand of Glory? I'm totally stumped on this one. Spoilers are very welcome!

Nightwalker:
    Spoiler:
    There's a drowned man in the cistern. He had the key to the door which leads to the HoG. The key is in the bottom of the cistern. Once you open the door and enter the chamber there's an unpleasant force field which complicates things. I used the starburst device to destory the force field. (If there's a more elegant solution, I couldn't figure it out.)

NoCokePepsi -
    Spoiler:
    I had the key and just before I came back to check here, I found the room with the hand. I'd also found the note about the explosive device, but I haven't actually found it. Is is in the flooded parts that you walk through?

I went back to look for the sunburst, which I still haven't found, but I did find the key to the smelting room. It's really hard to see, sitting on a table in one of the rooms you walk through in that area. It's blue and it blends in with the dark table fairly well.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Nightwalker ]

Yes, Nightwalker, the starburst is in the flooded red-stone caverns, guarded by two spiders. It's hard to see unless you get close.

Now I'm after that smelting key! Thanks for the tip! [Thumbs Up!]

This mission is really quite good in some respects. I didn't mean to sound too negative earlier.

NoCokePepsi -
    Spoiler:
    I haven't seen any spiders since I got into the basement. Can you give me more specific directions? I must be missing a spot entirely. I've been in the red stone tunnel from the water-wheel part. Is it in that area??

Nightwalker-
    Spoiler:
    To get to the caverns with the spiders: Look for the wide wooden gangplank that crosses diagonally (it has an archer patrolling it, near the servant girl with the key). Drop off the gangplank into the water, then walk through the short rectangular gray-brick walkway, then NW through the red-granite hexagonal tunnel and you're there!

Alas, I remain befuddled. The smelters key did me no particular good. I still can't open the door to the Horn of Quintus, nor do I know how to find the silver. Gah!
    Spoiler:
    I gathered the talismans and the golden skull, but still can't figure out the underwater thingie with the crypt, the seven skulls and the talisman holder.

Hi everyone, I truly enjoy Lord Alan's Basement mission. I like the puzzles, AI's and different clues to achieve this mission. I am playing on expert and enjoying this tremendously.I like a challenge where you must gather all clues and and put it together. Now as far for the Horn of Quintus
    Spoiler:
    there is another way in getting into that room. You must use your rope arrow and shoot towards the cross beam climb up and follow the tunnel. You should have the sword thats lights up to see better in the dark.[SPOILER]And eventually you will find the area where it leads you to the Horn of Quintus.
    Spoiler:
    The area is in the vacinity of the Haunt.
    In this mission you must inspect and search all areas, including ceilings there might be a hidden switch. anyway, good luck and happy hunting
    Silent_Warrior [Thumbs Up!] [Idea]

I'll go have another look. I would have sworn I'd been all over there. Thanks, NoCokePepsi! I have some info for you, as well

Spoiler:
    I have it direct from the creator of the FM that the Talismans and holders serve no purpose. They are for decoration (and mis-direction, I think) only. Hopefully, you won't waste as much time as I did trying to figure that out. I still can't figure out how you open the door for the Horn, either. I'll have to e-mail again, I guess. He (she?) sent me some sort of map, but I don't really understand what it pertains to. Do you want me to forward it to you? I also wonder if all the nuggets in the smelter were supposed to tick off the "find the silver" objective. I'll have to ask that as well.

Thanks very much to both NoCokePepsi and Silent_Warrior! I have both the Hand and the Horn. I'm still, however, very short on loot and the "find the silver" objective isn't ticked off, so I'm still missing something major. I haven't had this much trouble with an FM for a long time. Has anyone found the silver yet? If you have, spoilers would be welcome. I've got over 3hrs into this one already and I'd like to finish it.

Yeeeessss...I've finished, but on normal. Playing expert right now, but I think if you look in the Music Chamber and find the room with the pipe organ, look to a portrait on the wall; it won't frob, but you might pick something up...

This is one of those FMs where you might quit for a while, stumped, and then hit upon a possible solution later on. Good thing I'm not a nuclear physicist. Goodbye Western Hemisphere. But I really should have started this one on expert...

{EDIT: well, forgot to make a play on the "find the silver" objective and my name. Maybe next time.}

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Silver Sorrow ]

NightWalker, to get to the silver you must go
    Spoiler:
    through some of the paintings and climb the ladder, to get into the room. you must get the key from one of the two guards, I usually knock them out but be carefull. I played this on expert
    Great mission, I wish there were more missions like this one.
    Another great missions are Crom's blade and the 7th Crystals. Thank you to all who creates these fantastic missions. Great job.
    Silent_Warrior [Thumbs Up!] [Angel]

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Silent _Warrior ]

Nightwalker, could you send me a copy of that map as well? I keep getting turned around, even though I've been through just about every room there is where I am.
    And what about the buttons on the generators? I found generators, but not with buttons on them. (I'm playing it on the hard setting.)

Stauf

Stauf, the two generators are due east of the two big levers, straight through a couple doorways and in a room behind a bronze-looking door. (At least on Expert difficulty they are.)

Okay, I've got everything but the Horn of Quintus! Shame on me for not seeing the lever over the door. My bad. But anyway, I am now in the chamber with the big, greenish transdimensional cube (or whatever) and the red bubbles and I hear the horn's call loud and clear but I still don't see the horn nor any way to access it. Argggh! Can someone spell out in bold capital letters for a ninny like me how to get the Horn of Quintus so I can finish the mission and move on????

I know exactly how you feel, NoCokePepsi! This one has truly humbled me.
    Thanks, Silver Sorrow and Silent_Warrior. I had a suspicion I had to get into the Music room area, but I still can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to do it. It's full light, there's a patrolling guard and two archers facing me, I have no gas arrows, flash bombs etc. Oh, well, I'll try.

NoCokePepsi -
    Spoiler:
    I just crouched down and moved around until I saw the horn inside the green stuff and clicked on it. That picked it up. It took me awhile to find it, though. I couldn't believe that I never thought to look for a switch in the light fixture, but this mission is so full of red-herrings that you really get thrown off.

I wrote to the author of this mission and I know he is looking for feedback and stats, so if any of you have time to e-mail, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

stauf - the map wouldn't do you much good. It's not a general map. I couldn't even figure out what it was before, but I now know it is just to the Music room bit. Are you still stuck at the very beginning part with the two red levers that open and close gates? Just open the one in the one with the levers, go get one more box from the storage rooms you walked through. Use that box plus the one you went and fetched to climb into that hole in the wall. Pick up the key that's near the edge on your way through. If you crouch while you're on the top box, you can just walk through. That gets you into the main area.

Okay, I've got the "silver" objective ticked off. If I'd realized you could
    Spoiler:
    go THROUGH the painting to avoid the guards
    I'd have been in there a long time ago. I'm still short loot, but I'll have to come back and look for that later. I'm off to do another bit of beta testing on RiCh's new mission, the Art of Thievery. It should be released in a couple of days and you guys are going to LOVE this one! Make sure you set aside lots of time, though, because it's big!

Thanks, again, for all the help!

I found my way into the basement, but I can't get past the locked metal door! What do I do??? Where's the key???