TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Lord Alan's Basement (Dec.4/2001)

Psychotronic, you must remember that all doors do not require a key. There might be a switch or a lever to be found.And some doors, cannot be open, thus, find another way to get in. [Tsk Tsk] [Thumbs Up!]

Also, check the top of the armoire in the storage room!

Hey, Silent_Warrior, I just checked your profile and we're nearly next door neighbours (In Northern Ontario terms, anyways ). I live in Thunder Bay, which many people confuse with North Bay, anyway.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Nightwalker ]

I can get to the music hall, I just can't open the door on the left. It's a metal looking door. I've tried all my keys, lockpicks, sword, the little vases, the hand on the statue, the explosive, nothing works.
    As for the gates and the generator buttons- I got through the tunnel. I just need to find the buttons and open the gates. As long as it's possible. Don't ask. I HAVE found the panel with the four blinking red lights, is this near those generators? I HAVE TO FIND THE BUTTONS. I found a door I can't open, it's in a room with a water tank looking thing. I can hear electrical humming behind it. And there's the one down the ladder in the room with the levers. But no button. Please help.

Stauf

I think you're missing a key, because I used one to open that door. Did you pick a key from the guard that was in this area? I really can't remember which key I used because there are SO many, it's hard to keep them straight.

As for the button to open the gates, they're on the other side of the gates from where you are now, near where you entered the basement. The easiest way to describe how to get there is to go back to the area with the waterwheel, where you ended up when you crawled through the hole. Get a couple of boxes and crawl back through! Go out into the room to the right, turn right. Keep going right, use one of the keys you got from the guards outside here to open that door. There are buttons you can frob on the front of the two machines in here. What they do, I have no idea, but someone said you need to use them to get all the gates open at once.

Nightwalker, THanks, I'll go check it out.

[Erm...] I think I might have a problem with the AI. There are at least two standing with their arms out, and I can't kill them. They don't even respond. And there are some spots where it seems like there should be a guard or something, but there's just a space I can't walk through, I have to go around. I'm playing Thief 1 with the Gold patch. And I've never seen this servant girl someone was talking about. So, I may not be getting all the keys. Any thoughts?

Stauf

Stauf-
    Spoiler:
    When you first enter the basement area there are two thief guards discussing a heist that they reckon only Garrett could have done. In an adjacent room are two big levers to open the gates. The generators with the buttons on them are due east of those levers, through three doorways and behind a locked door. I believe one of the two thief guards has the key. You'll have to fiddle about with combinations of pulling the big levers and pushing the buttons to get all the gates open. Just persevere. I don't know what to make of the technical problems you're describing.

Well, I completed the mission last night! I do believe this is one of the toughest fan missions I've played.

My only major criticisms are that I didn't care for the maze-like brick tunnel network, and there were too many keys. I also thought that the Horn of Quintus should have been more visible within the transdimensional cube. Anyway, this mission seems to me more like a puzzle/adventure game than typical Thief fare. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of taste, I reckon, but it was a fairly impressive effort overall, and fun to play through a second time sneaker-style. Andrea Aleotti is clearly a talented fellow and I hope he makes more missions for us!

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: NoCokePepsi ]

I got all the loot and the horn of Quintus but can't open the gate for the hand of glory. I tried the sunburst device but it didn't work. Also there another iron gate with a bunch of buttons, and the scroll says just pull the lever. Can't find the lever. Any hints please.

I have good news for you, NoCokePepsi! Andrea has a Thief 2 mission already started and is hoping to have it out in 4 or 5 months. I agree that it will be one to look forward to.

I suffered from the thief gold rope bug all the way through the mission, after I got the horn of quintus I spent half a hour trying to climb a rope to escape from that area. [Wot?]

Yes, I had problems with the ropes in this one too, belboz. I was stuck in the same place for quite awhile before I managed to get out.

[Tsk Tsk] NoCokePepsi, My problem is that the two thief guards you describe aren't even there. Havn't tried it on easy yet, though. I'll just look inside the zip to hear the conversation.

Spiderkat- Here's how I solved the problem with the field around the Hand of Glory (If that's what you're talking about.)
    Spoiler:
    I stood in the doorway waiting for the field to grow to it's largest, then followed it in as it shrank. Grab the Hand, and run out quick. You have to time it right. Or maybe the field doesn't hurt you at all.
    Hope that helps.

Stauf

stauf,
    i cant even get to the field around the hand of glory! there is a door made of iron bars in my way that i cant open. how did you open it? maybe i am missing a key.

spiderkat -
    Spoiler:
    I found this by accident! Face the barred door, then turn around and walk right back into that little corner that's almost directly across from it. If you look at the floor here, you'll see a pressure plate. Just stand on it and it will open the little metal door and you can flip a switch.

Spiderkat, Are you playing this mission on Expert, re: hand of glory, once you open the metal gate
    Spoiler:
    throw the bomb in the room and shoot a fire arrow to the bomb and it will disarm the field, but make sure you are hidden from the blast.
    Because I tried to get the hand but every time I touched the floor it killed me. [Grr] I truly enjoy this type of mission. [Thumbs Up!]

Ahh! Finally finished it. After 3 hours and 50 minutes. Hehe! Only got 3294 out of 5018 loot though. Gonna have to play it again.
    I never did get into that one generator room next to the room with the 2 generators that you push the buttons to get the gates open. In a post above, someone mentioned a key off one of the guards from that area, but I thought I got those 2 keys and none of them worked. All through the game each time I got a new key, I went back to try it on that door, but no luck. I can see there's an electrical panel with levers on it from the window. Just can't figure out how to get in there.

I just want to reiterate what a great mission this is to play sneaker-style. Indeed, the whole basement area seems set up to aid the clever sneak! I almost got goosebumps at times slipping through the shadows. The dark and light areas and the distribution of guards and their varied patterns of patrolling are a masterpiece of planning on the author's part.

Stauf, I only played on Expert, so I can't be sure that there are no differences relating to the difficulty level. Otherwise, I wonder if you may be having technical problems, perhaps a corrupted file or a Darkloader problem.

Hi All,
    Need help to find the Horn ? What room is it in? Playing on Hard.
    Thanks --The Geez

Hello, geezer!
    Spoiler:
    The horn is behind a door with a big keyhole design on it. (You can see it from the basement area where the fake horn is, but you can't reach it from there.) To get to it you have to navigate those brick walkways above the basement floor. At some point, there's a walkway that drops off in front of you. You drop down and follow it until you reach a hole in the floor. You'll have to rope arrow down. All the rest can be found in previous posts.

I been playing for a couple hours was doing pretty good, but I can't get into music room and one grey door near roon with giant crates. Any clues please!!

Thanks

Footpad

I'm not sure which room you mean by the one with the giant crates. There are so many crates in this mission and so many keys, that it's hard to keep it all straight. When I have time, I'm going to replay it and try to orient myself better. There are keys lying all over the place. Check tabletops, in little wall niches, etc. There are also a couple of doors that you end up coming back to later.

Spoiler:
    Have you been into the room with the big wooden elevator structure yet? The best way to get anywhere in this mission is to climb up and go through the open doorway that is partway up the south wall. You can find an entry into the music room from in here. Wander around until you find yourself crossing some wood planks across gaps and you'll know you're getting close. Look for a ladder leading down. There are two, one into a forge and one into the music room.

I hope that helps a little! I'm not really very good at puzzles, so I got into some problems with this mission and needed some help, but it truly is fascinating!

NoCokePepsi -- Thanks -- It was just as you instructed !! Lots of "holes and keys" in this one. Great fun............ The Geez

Nightwalker, did you ever find the silver objective I just found it!! I do not want to give it out, not because I do not want to but I do not know how you guys do the spoiler messages and if you will give me instruction I'll send it right over, of you haven't gotten it yourself already. I do not want to spoil it for anyone else. This is what I love best about our forum. We are like family when one cannot get one objective others help and he or she gets one they help out.

I LOVE THIEF!!!!!!!!! I AM ADDICTED!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Footpad

Yes, thanks, Footpad, I did finally find it. It's pretty cool, too, how you can get there.

Nightwalker, I saw in an earlier posting you saying something about a blue key being on a table. It is hard to see because it is Dark> What is the location? I still need another 700 in loot to finish up.

Thanks

Footpad

I haven't actually finished on Expert yet, because I'm short some loot. I know where to get it, thanks to Andrea, but I haven't had time to go back and try, because I was beta testing "The Art of Thievery". What difficulty are you playing on? By the way, you don't need that key, (which is good, because I don't think I remember which room it's in). You can get into the forge from the tunnels up above. Look for a ladder down, other than the one that leads into the Music room area. Also, in the elevator room, if you send the elevator up and go for a swim underneath it, you'll end up in the lower part of the mausoleum. There is a necklace on top of the coffin that's sitting on the bottom. That would be easy to miss.