TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Lord Alan's Basement (Dec.4/2001)

Yes, the garden is the place to end the mission. It's at the top of the elevator room.

One More Question... please

I have not completed much of this mission. I am in the basement but have just passed the entrance to the Thieves' Guild. I am in a rather nebulous locale and it's rather difficult to describe where I am. I have encountered two doors--one in each separate room--but even though I have now found a gold key, it doesn't seem to open either door. I have gone down the ladder into a room with a generator of some type but there's nothing down there. I can't continue if I can't get through one of these two doors. I have now spent over 30 minutes looking for keys and another way in. At this point I welcome spoilers.

Hello Star.

It took me a while there, too. Forgive me, even though I've just played it, I don't recall all the details from the very beginning. If I recall correctly, though,
    spoiler:
    make sure you have pickpocketed from one of the thief-guards in this area. Also make sure to check any tables you find in the different rooms. I can't remember if any of these rooms have small niches in the walls, but it is a good rule of thumb for this level to check all ledges, niches and cubbyholes.
    Maybe not technically a spoiler, but I hope this helps. If not, one of our fellow thieves who actually has the ability to remember details will have to help out.
    There is no try--Do, or Do Not

If I'm correct about where you are, there is a room with 2 big levers just inside the building that has two guards in a courtyard outside. There is a way into those other rooms. I believe one of the guards in the courtyard has the key. There is also a way to open all the gates at once, but I haven't tried it myself. This is what Andrea told me:
    spoiler:

About the 4 gates: Lever and buttons have the next combination: the first toward you and the second opposite, after that push buttons.

The easier way is this:
    spoiler:
    Pull the levers until the gate in that same room opens. Go get 2 or 3 crates from the storeroom you came through, then take them into the room beyond the gate. There is a hole in the wall. Pile the boxes up, climb through the hole and jump into the water. You're in. You can climb up the other side, or go and explore the water tunnels.

The way I got in was to block one of the gates with a crate. The gate shut, but when I went back and frobbed it, it opened. Maybe I just got lucky.

Thanks so much for the hints. I'll try them this evening. All help is greatly appreciated.

Odd but true... I have not seen one living person since I started this mission. I haven't heard a sound from any guards--only a few spiders at the very beginning. In the room outside the room with the two levers, just in front of the "Thieves' Guild" double gold doors, there is a sign that says "this area should be guarded at all times" but there is no one guarding the door. There is, however, a little space between the grate on the floor and the gold double doors that acts like a little force field blocking my way, not allowing me to move straight forward across the floor but there is no one there. Is this a glitch and if so, will I be able to continue if I can't see any of the guards and hence have no pockets to pick from this point on?

*C*

OK, I had to try these ideas before going to work. And it worked!
    spoiler:
    If you place a crate in the nearest gate's path to block it from closing while the far gate opens, you can make the closest gate open just by clicking on it. Then you can remove the crate and go through BOTH gates. If you do this with both levers, you will have all four gates open at once. I thought it was cool enough to make note of.

Again, thanks for the help. I finally feel productive again!

*C*

There's something very wrong if you can't see the guards. Are you playing with TDP or Gold? If you have TDP, have you installed the TG patch? I haven't heard of anyone else running across your particular problem with this mission before, so it's probably not the original mission itself. You could also try downloading a new copy in case the one you've got didn't download properly.

I'm playing with TDP and I don't think I've installed the TG patch. I shall do that tonight. Thanks.

*C*

The TDP to Gold Patch

Nightwalker, I looked for the patch you mentioned yesterday that hopefully will eliminate my problem with not seeing the guards. (I finally saw two, BTW.) But I can't seem to find it. Since I'm not exactly sure for what I am looking, maybe you can suggest where it can be found. I have TDP 1.33. Is that version already patched?

*C*

Lord Alan's Basement--The Tower

Odd question... has anyone who's played LAB ever found a way to get to any of the other levels of the tower? You can get to the haunt's level from the bricked halls but there's a man on fire on the next lower level and the next higher level looks very intriguing. I'd like to explore them if they're reachable. If you have been there, how did you achieve it?

And also, while I'm here, three things...
    spoiler:
    I have looked at the green translucent cube until I see flashes before my eyes and still can't find that elusive horn
    and I can't find the smelting room key NOR the stash of silver anywhere. I'm already at the 3 hour mark and playing on expert but beginning to feel a little n00b-like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*C*

Hawklette

Yes, I believe at the top there are two areas. One is just for show, its the entrance to Lord Alan's home and not accessable the other takes you into a garden area. On the floor level there is a passage under the elevator. Sorry Nightwalker isn't back yet because I don't remember the man on fire. I hope you have rope arrows and patience. I know I slipped and fell a lot. I played this mission for a long time also and almost gave up. LOL

spoiler:
    You have to get a look under the green to see the horn and then click. There is key on a dead guy floating in the water where you can see a wheel turning. It opens the room to the torture chamber. I'm not sure if that is the same one you mean. As far as the silver, that took forever. You need to check the art work in the room with the organ.

Good Luck!

Hawklette, many thanks for the hint about the horn. I FINALLY found it with your instructions. Man, THAT'S a relief!
    I don't think I worded my questions very well for the other unsolvable parts of this mission. I'll describe where I am in a little more detail.
    spoiler:
    When you're in the bricked hallways, you get to a room with a haunt in it. In the middle of this room is a deep pool of water at the bottom of a very tall tower-like structure. If you stand on one of the window ledges looking down into the water, you can see a floor below you and a floor above you. On the floor below you is a man walking around with his head on fire and trailing two trails of fire behind him. On the floor just above you, there's a door you can just barely see the top of across on the other side of the room.
    Has anyone been able to find a way to get to either of these two places?
    I am also having problems with what I called the smelting room key. What I should have said is that I'm having problems getting into the door IN the smelting room. I don't seem to have a key. And I don't have a key to nor can I find a room with an organ in it. I DO have the key found close to the corpse but it was to the Hand of Glory room which I have already pilfered.
    I've taken every key I've found and even gone back and checked all the unconscious guards to see if they had a key I missed but they don't. So I am at a loss to continue. This has ben a tremendously challenging mission so it's sad to think that I'm so close and yet so far...

*C*

In the one I played the Tower as seen on the map didn't have a pool of water. I will have to start this again to see if I can find it for you. It is a very confusing mission because of the maze of hallways. If Nightwalker were here she would know all this. She helped me get through it. I did a search on the subject and found some help.

spoiler:
    This is where the music room is. Have you been into the room with the big wooden elevator structure yet? The best way to get anywhere in this mission is to climb up and go through the open doorway that is partway up the south wall. You can find an entry into the music room from in here. Wander around until you find yourself crossing some wood planks across gaps and you'll know you're getting close. Look for a ladder leading down. There are two, one into a forge and one into the music room. Nightwalker says there is a blue key to the smelting room on a table and it blends in so well it is hard to see also another key is on top of an armoire. There is supposed to be a servant girl with a key also. I didn't see any refference to a fire man yet.

Hope this helps for now. Let me know.

Thanks again. I miss Nightwalker too. I have found the music room and the key to the music room. I have been through both paintings--one from the brick tunnels and the other one into the room with the vases behind a glass door. But there is a door that I can't open in the music room suite and I haven't been able to find a key. I think that's the room with the organ in it or at least I'm guessing so.
    I saw the servant girl with the key and took it from her but it still doesn't open anything I need to get into. I also found the key on the table and Nightwalker is right; it does blend in with the dark wood. But that key doesn't help me either at this point.
    Yes, I have been to the elevator room. I've gone up to the entrance to Lord Alan's residence but can't get in because that would be a whole new mission. I have been into the garden from the other side of the room and I have been through the opening to the brick tunnels.
    spoiler:
    The room I am speaking of with a pool in it and the man on the floor below, walking around on fire, is the mausoleum. I finally read the plaque on the wall outside the door. Anyway, the mausoleum has about 3 floors that I can see and when you enter it from the brick tunnels you are on the middle floor. There's one below you and one above you. But if you jump through one of the windows in the middle of the room, allowing you to look down and up, you can see a deep pool of water below you with a kind of orange, gold, and yellow gas bubbling up out of it. There's a haunt in the mausoleum and an invisible walker whose footsteps you can hear but you never see. Did you explore the mausoleum? It's tough to get around in there because the floors echo terribly and the haunt hears everything you do. You have to be extra careful.

Well, thanks again.

*C*

I remember Nightwalker saying that the key to the music room is on one of the guards there. Check to see if you missed it.

Hey there StarCStar! I too am at that very same spot and looking for help. Can't wait til Nightwalker gets back.....

I searched the forum and found a reference about this. It talks about using the niches with the stautes in that room to teleport to the other levels. I have jumped into each of them and sadly, no teleporting for this lowly taffer, although one of them seems as if it *might* maybe should work like that. The same post talks about knowing which niche to use by the phrase that is in the stone floor tile at the back of the round room.

Below I have copied the exact text of the post. I believe it was posted by the author of the mission and can be found in the thread "Lord Alan's Basement - stuck after 1 minute...!" on the third page. I believe also that the author is from Europe and the translation may not have been the best.

spoiler:
    some statues have no physics (as the paintings) > read the plaque on the middle floor opposite the door > count the niches, niche n.1 is indicated by the keeper-plaque in the central part of the Mausoleum near the torches, at the top > put yourself in that niche climbing on it > a teleport trap will get you to the next floor > steal about 1000 Worth.

HELP... someone...anyone!!!!!

StarCstar and vandi I think I must have missed this area somehow and now I know I have to play again to find it. I will start it again tomorrow and if you find anything let me know please. I did read that part in the thread but don't remember being there so back I goe. LOL Love those FMS.

I finally found the organ room key thanks to Hawklette's comment about Nightwalker's comment - which I'd probably read. Argh! I can't frob well anymore.

I've got everything now except 4000 worth, more like 3800 or so. I'm spinning my wheels going back over the same places and not finding more loot. I've done the tower trick, etc. Any hints as to where I might find a nice stash of loot? I have been everywhere, as they say, even up to Lord Alan's front door. I've got the talismans, etc. And more keys than a Albanian janitor (Bronx reference). Show me the money!

Radioman when you first enter the basement area there are some nooks where you can hide from the guards. I remember finding some around there and some levers. Have you been in the room full of chests? It is also in that area. I will be playing it tomorrow so I hope to have some answers unless Nightwalker is back then we can all gang up on her. She will know. LOL Talk to you later and let me know if you find any more loot and where. Good luck!

So Radioman, when you refer to tower, do you mean the circular room with the haunt or the area with the big wooden elevator structure? I am also short on loot, about where you are...3800 or so. The author states that there is about 1000 to be had in the circular room with haunts area. Have you been there yet???

Vandi, Iknow you didn't ask me but I'm in the mausoleum (big round room with the haunt) and I haven't found 1,000 in loot. I've only found about 200. But I must hasten to add that I've only teleported to one other floor so far--the floor below the original entrance from the brick tunnels. I'll let you know as soon as I find more than that. Don't you hate to be SO close but just not quite there?

*C*

Vandi,
    spoiler:
    I JUST finished the mausoleum--all 3 floors--using the hint listed earlier about teleporting through the statues. Since you said you're short on loot, I made note of the fact that there is 1,150 worth in the mausoleum, including all 3 floors but you have to make sure you go to all 3 floors and you have to be VERY patient. It's not easy.
    But now I have 4,172 and the only thing I have yet to accomplish is finding the silver. Hawklette gave me a clue earlier so I just have to find that key to the organ room. I have the music room key but it doesn't open the door in the music suite that probably goes to the organ room. I don' even have a clue where it might be found. The dead guy had the Hand of Glory key and I've taken every single key I've seen on a guard or a table or in a niche or anywhere. This part might be nerve wracking.

*C*

Hi StarCStar. I remember there was something special about the pictures here.

spoiler:
    I believe you can walk right through some or peek you head in.

Maybe this is the problem. Good Luck!

StarCStar, you are so close to finding the silver. In fact you've been there and didn't know it. Read on, MacDuff:

spoiler:
    Your problem is, and I had it myself, is that you didn't frob the knocked-out guards enough. I mean the guards in & around the music room area. One of them has the key to the organ room. It's there. You just have to frob better. Trust me on this: I pissed hours away looking. I can't believe how many times I frobbed those guys before I found the key. I think it's because until yesterday I wasn't really sure one of them even had the key. I'm kicking myself on this one.

I still need more loot. I've done the fire guy's area, the top of haunt's tower area. It's maddening. I'm going to head back up top the big wooden thing and look around again. An annoying trip, to be sure.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast