TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Lord Alan's Basement (Dec.4/2001)

That's true for me, too. Usually the things I get stuck on turn out to be something obvious that I know I SHOULD have seen. Lord Alan's Basement is pretty tricky, though and a lot of stuff in it is pretty hard to figure out.

Lord Alan's Basement - Action difficulty - New T2 version

I have read every post and thread for this mission, but, I can't get into the room with the foot lockers closed off by bars and with the small metal door hiding 9 red buttons to the right of the doorway. There is no note telling to use a lever, nor is there a lever behind a box in a nearby room. No preasure plate either.

I know that the max loot is different in this version so I wonder if there are other differences between the T1G version and the T2 version. If someone has played the new T2 version on the middle difficulty level, please tell me how to get into that room.

Thanks

-Edit-
    Oh BTW ... thanks for making this into a T2 mission Andrea Aleotti, and nice organ. So that was Bach, aye? I was expecting Verdi, or Rossini.
    Last edited by diana50322; 27th Jul 2002 at 02:45.

One of the guards patrolling not far from there is wearing a scroll containing a clue. It says
    spoiler:
    Draw an X on the buttons.
    Does that help?

Geesh! Yes I was wandering were that would come in to play, (but it wasn't quite that direct), how do you draw in Theif I asked myself. Now I know thanks to NightWalker. How did you know that so fast?

I've been betatesting this mission for quite awhile now and helping Andrea out with the English for the clues, books, etc. so I know it pretty well.

Thiefmissions.com

If I haven't yet played the Thief 1 version, is it worth playing it or should I just do the Thief 2 version?

BTW, I'm surprised to see that there wasn't an announcement of the new version anywhere. I got a forwarded message indicating that I should grab the new version and add it to my archive (which I did after much wrangling with the Flash crap on the author's page) but other than this one mention at the end of this long thread, I haven't seen any mention of it.

[Duh, just saw the announcement. Please just ignore me.]
    Last edited by epithumia; 27th Jul 2002 at 17:51.

There is a thread announcing it, but this one was popped up to place a question and it seems to have stayed at the top. I'll bump up the announcement thread. If you haven't played the first version, just skip it and play the T2 one. It's basically the same mission, but with improvements to make it more sneakable and, hopefully, improved clues for the puzzles.

I am utterly amazed at the number and difficulty of puzzles in this mission. I didn't realize you could pack this much into a small (3.8 meg - I seem to remember - plus with some bits of custom music in this 3.8 meg) download!

My situation:

spoiler:
    I'm playing on "action" difficulty. I solved the Hand of Glory puzzle (I found it to be pretty easy - those notes lying around were a dead giveaway), and have approximately 2250 gold (where's the rest of the gold to get me my 3000?). I haven't yet figured out the Horn of Quintus. I see that window/door on the same side of the "big room with infinite crossbars" that has the passage leading up to Alan's Mansion entrance - haven't tried it yet (will shortly) - and other posts in this thread now tell me that's where I gotta go. (BTW, what does that switch (the thing you can turn 180 degrees) at the bottom of the non-working elevator in the same room do?) I'm annoyed at the point in the "river" where you see two rope crossbars above you but you can't shoot a rope arrow because you're in water (maybe I need to throw a crate in the water)? I got the "silver" objective by walking up to the picture of (some music dude) in the music room and attempting to frob multiple times (and getting the message that all the organ pipes are silver/gold). I dealt with the guards in the music area by getting their attention and running away, having 'em follow some distance to separate themselves, then whacking 'em with my BJ one by one...

Awesome mission! ... if a bit hard...
    Last edited by prjames; 4th Aug 2002 at 09:37.

Are you playing the TG version or the new, T2 version? Some things have changed, which makes it a little difficult to know if I'm telling you the right stuff.

In the place in the water tunnels where you see the beams above you, I don't know if you can rope arrow up in the TG version. In the T2 version, you can. There is a place you can stand that lets you use your bow.

As for loot, in both version, you need to look very carefully. There is loot tucked in little nooks and crannies all over the place. Have you found the workroom yet? There's a key lying around someplace for it.
    spoiler:
    Look under the bench for a place to crawl through. That's an easier way up to that doorway above the framework. You can also jump through a painting in the first room in the music room area and climb a ladder there to get up.

I'm not sure if that switch does anything. I meant to ask but I forgot. I don't think it's anything important if it does.

I have the hand, the horn, the silver, and all 4018 in loot but i cant get out of the bacement. I gess you leave by the garden but i cant find the key. if you know where to find the key to the garden or know eny way out plzz help.

How to get out of the basement? Answer:

spoiler:
    Since you know where the garden is you've found the "elevator" room. Go to the exit marked to "Lord Alan's Mansion". Where the translucent windows are with the "A"s, look to the left of the main door, where there's a desk on the other side of the window. There's a key you can get "through" the window (isn't incorrect physics great! :-) ) that is the key to the garden. The garden is on the other side of the top of the elevator room, reached by intense jumping on those wooden planks.

Regarding my own situation,

spoiler:
    I did the "leaping through the painting" thing and cruised through the back passages, having fun with the treasure and the Mausoleum, eventually finding the door to the Horn of Quintus. It took a while to figure out that a lever opens it;
    and easily completed the game.

Again, really impressive level, and look forward to the sequel in Lord Alan's Mansion (even though I'll probably be looking here for hints while I play it).

Where is the exit mared Alen's Manchin? I can't find the Windos or the A's or eny key?

spoiler:
    When you are in the upper tunnels, look out the open doorway and you'll see a big room full of a huge wood scaffolding. Climb to the top and make your way to the south side, where you'll see an elevator and a passageway beyond it. Go down the passageway and at the end, on the left, there are windows covered by metal filigree. The key is inside and you can just pick it up. Then cross the scaffolding to the north side, go down that passageway and you'll find the garden gate.

wow, just played this (t2 version)!
    really great fm Lord Alan!
    very much fun... and i really must compliment that mausoleum view from down in the water, that's really pretty (among plenty other spots that were visually interesting as well, but that one really struck me)
    i read a lot of the previous posts about the 1st version & don't know what's changed exactly, but thanks Nightwalker for helping with the clues, they made things pretty clear. i had trouble finding the way out though, spent lots of time trying to find that then gave up and looked here
    i have a question about that elevator room..
    if you go down in the water where the broken elevator is,
    spoiler:
    the one path will go to part of the mausoleum,
    but does the other actually go somewhere? i always got stuck though it looked like there was an exit down there. and does that rotating switch do something? i couldn't figure that out.

this one really wowed me
    really look forward to your next one!

-cheers

I'm glad you enjoyed the mission, raetsal. I had a lot of fun testing it for Andrea and helping write the clues. The basic puzzles stayed the same, but it's now much easier to sneak through and the difficulty levels changed quite a bit.

I really liked the way the part under the mausoleum works.
    spoiler:
    You can either just jump from inside the Mausoleum itself. (That's a rush! It's a long drop to the water. ) or go down under the elevator. If you swim one way, you get to the water below the Mausoleum where you can pick up a necklace lying on the coffin down there, then swim back the other way and you'll come to the back side of the water wheel. You can swim up and over the waterwheel. You actually ride it back into the cistern! Cool idea, I think.

The switch, I don't know about. I always forget to ask!

Distant Quasar

Gave up after 5 minutes

Lord Alan's Basement is simply too difficult to be fun. I think that authors of FMs need to keep in mind that a lot of players do not have 6-7 hours (or more) every night to play. I try to sneak in an hour after my wife and daughter go to sleep. When I come across a mission like this I quickly forfeit, because the risk of spending that entire time looking for a hidden switch is too great. I am amazed at the effort that is put into FMs, but I think that as a community, we fail to communicate to authors during beta test that most people are just going to get frustrated and give up.
    By the way, when I played this mission, I had a very poor frame rate...unlike most FMs...did anyone else experience this?

eepcat

I understand your frustration. I don't know how long you have played FM's but for me, it took a while to get to a point where I could tackle the tough ones. Now I need a mission like "Lord Alan's Basement" to quench my thirst for a challenge. Where at first I wanted an I-can-finish-in-a-night mission now I crave a make-me-miserable-for-a-week mission. I often feel the need to vent my frustrations here at the forum but just as often a turn around and find the answer was right there in front of me all the time. Rest assured that they do all they can in beta test to forsee these obsticles, but FM's have to satisfy a very wide range of playing tastes, talents, and time limits. Just keep playing the ones that suit you and save the rest for later. When you come back to them you may say, "Hey, this aint so tough!" Then you will be begging for more.

Diana has it right, eepcat. I would never have tackled Basement when I first started playing missions. This one isn't actually as difficult as it might seem at first, but some of the puzzles can be hard to figure out. The finishing the first release of this mission was almost a group effort for some of us. The second release has been improved with, (I hope! ) easier to read and understand clues and better shadows, key placements, etc., but it will never be an easy mission. Andrea likes puzzles and it shows. When you find a mission that doesn't really suit your taste, just go on to another one. You'll find lots that you'll enjoy.

eepcat: my framerate was fine which was part of what i liked as well... many that i've found as impressive have had bad framerates for me.

i understand what you mean about difficulty...
    this one did not cause me much for problems like that, but lots have... some i've had to span over a couple days or more because they were so difficult for me.
    the only time, though, that this ends up hurting my enjoyment of the fm is when i'm spending hours looking for 50 loot to complete that objective and i just cannot find it!

i'm currently about 70% done, err i think anyway heh, with an fm, and level of difficulty is proving a hard thing to call since everyone has their own playing style and all i know really well is my own...which...is not going to help me out in my own fm since i don't need any clues, hehe! don't want it to be so easy that it's boring.. or so difficult people give up either (so i guess it all comes down to beta-testing with many people really).

this fm was definitely for puzzle-lovers. I agree with Nightwalker that there are plenty of fms for every taste/style to enjoy. i like puzzles.. don't like running around being forced to hack up guards.. so when i run into missions that force a non-sneaking approach, i save them for later usually and move on (though eventually i play them all when i have time).

Just a little question, don't know if it's answered, haven't had the time to read through the threads cause I wanna play all the time (it's a great mission!):

Are the golden bone's and the square floating box next to the garden important? I mean do you need to do something with them?
    I put a golden bone ontop of the floating square box just for fun and there was a
    HUGE EXPLOSION!!!! Hehe just kidding...

No, they're just decoration. There's nothing that you have to do with that stuff.

Where in the world is "The Silver"??? Only objective I have left, just can't find it.
    And how do you open the picture in the music room?

I just found the silver

I am just finishing this mission, came here to look for a clue to finding the horn (I think I found it), and it is simply a wonderful mission. I adored all the details, particularly that the first tunnels only had mushrooms for lighting--it always strikes me as strange when sewers and underground tunnels have torches or even electric lights. I will definitely look for the sequel mentioned in earlier posts!

Looks like I'm bringing up the rear in this mission. I finally finished it after a little help from this thread finding the hand.
    Total time: 2 hrs. 28 min 35 sec. that's if you don't count the countless reloads that I had to do. Great mission though.
    Loot found: 3837
    Now to play Lord Alan's Fortress...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast