TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Lord Alan's Basement (Dec.4/2001)

People are discovering FMs for the first time all the time, which is great, so it's never to late to enjoy any of them!

Don't have a clue as to where I am in this basement. It is near wherever that brick 4-way exit thing is at, where the grate is operated by
    spoiler:
    push buttons that open the grate. My problem is getting past the woman standing in the lighted alcove. Have used both the speed potion and a noisemaker arrow. With the arrow, I can at least get into the chest room and get one chest opened before they all pile in and won't give up looking for the "intruder". How does one get past this woman? Is there a control somewhere else that will turn these lights off and I need to do that first? Am playing in expert and cannot blackjack anyone.

]
    Last edited by joanieS; 3rd Sep 2003 at 11:38.

Never mind, got it. Hate giving up a water arrow!!! There are so few in this game.

I would like to know how to get past the guards in the music room. There is a tile floor, one guard patroling and two facing the direction I have to cover. No torches to put out. I read an earlier thread where someone said the were playing expert and had blackjacked guards. My expert objectives say I cannot blackjack anyone.
    The picture across the room from where I came in from the tunnels and through a picture appears loose across the bottom. I can see a room behind it but cannot get the picture to move. Am I supposed to get into that area through that picture somehow?

You're on the right track, joanieS.
    spoiler:
    You can crouch and walk right through that picture on the opposite wall. You'll be able to avoid the guards that way. I seem to remember you need to snatch a key from the guard that patrols down near the doorway to the room you're in, though. I'm not positive as it's been a long time since I've played this mission.

Thanks, Nightwalker. Once in that room there is a book on the table with a few lines in it. They are written in Italian so don't know what they say. Is this O.K.? Just want to make sure I haven't hit a bug here.

Have all the objectives now (still want to know what the book in the music room study says) but have one question re the secret correspondence. Are you supposed to collect that which is referred to in the correspondence? Have clicked on them and they don't seem to want to jump into my loot bag.

Last edited by joanieS; 4th Sep 2003 at 10:47.

Hello everebody!
    I have been playing Lord Alan`s Basement (Thief 1) for three days and today i `ve completed all objectives. I`ve robbed L.A.`s mansion for 4963 loot out of 5018.
    Although i`m free to go and find the way out now but i don`t wanna do it yet. The reason is i haven`t solved the problem with the 1) talismans, 2) golden skull, 3) gear, 4)MultiMold. What should i do with them. I`ve visited mausoleum and killed three undead guards on each floor. I`ve seen 4 statues above and one below. Talismans? No use.
    P.S. I`m playing on expert.

It`s been 5 hours of playing already and, yes, ALL LOOT IS MINE!
    And i`m still totally confused what to do with the talismans and other suff which i`ve meant above some earlier. Another thing i forgot to ask about: there`s a room with 2 generators with buttons. What do these buttons do? The room is situated somewhere near the start of the mission.

I can't remember if those buttons on the generators do anything or not but there's not use for the Talismans, skull, etc. Just Eye Candy.

Thanx, Nightwalker, but doesn`t it sound a bit unbelievable? Those statues high above in the mausoleum seem like they can be used in some way. You see, when i try to look at either of them they light up just the same way they did when Garrett was standing at the doors to the Haunted Cathedral in "Thief". And what is more: apart from the four statues i`m talking about there is a seal a little bit higher than the statues. And it also lights up when one looks at it. My first thought was to give the statues the talismans and watch the seal to open. It looks like i`m wrong. But why? What was the reason to create those statues and the seal?
    Anyway the mission is great! I enjoyed it as much as i did playing "Down to the Bonehoard" and "Sword". There`s something in "L.A. Basement" that reminds me of them.

silver??

Could anyone please give me some really idiotproof hints how to find the silver?
    I'm in the music hall (passed through the paintings and avoided the guards) but I can't find the room where this big organ is supposed to be!
    I think it's the one across from the study, but I dont' have a key for that door. Where can I find that key? Or is there another way to open this blasted door?

I think the key you're missing is
    spoiler:
    worn by the guard that patrols out in the room you avoided by going through the paintings.

No, I have the key
    spoiler:
    that the patrolling guard is wearing. I got trough the two paintings, into the room with the two blue vases in one wall, then opened the next door with the key from the guard. This next room has again two doors. One opens into the hall with the guards, and one is locked. In one corner is a statue with a raised hand. Is this the room I have to be in to find the silver? I think I have to open the second door as well, don't I?

I had to go and check the mission.
    spoiler:
    The archer that is standing out in the other room is wearing the key you need. It opens the last locked door.

Wow!

Gone back and checked the mission, especially for me! What an honor... Thanks a lot! (This archer and his companion had the ears of some bats, I'm sure of it! I didn't even move and they still came at me! Really difficult work.)
    I'm finished with the basement. Now I will look at the fortress of this Lord Alan. Think he will be a lot poorer this time tomorrow

Glad I could help! You'll love Fortress. It's a beautiful mission full of fun stuff.

HI NW..hope you get this

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nightwalker

spoiler:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nightwalker
    spoiler:
    There's a little space(It's too small to call a room) off of the hallway just before you get to the room with the buttons. Move a box in there to find the lever

i hope i did this right...dont want to give away a spoiler...anyway am coming back to this mission after quitting it many months ago for lack of frustration tolerance....i am in that little room with the crate...and am finding no lever!!!

Also, in a previous post, someone asked you for a map? i would love to have that if you still have it....i am so turned around all the time...keep ending up in the same place!!!

I'm afraid I don't have a map. LOL! As for the lever, that depends on whether you are playing the Thief 1 version or the T2 one. If the lever's not there, then it's probably for T2. For that one, you should have found a clue worn by one of the guards. It says
    spoiler:
    something like "make an X". You have to punch the buttons on the control panel in the shape of an X.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 15th Nov 2003 at 21:58.

Thanks NW

I managed to play with it till i got it!!! am playing thief 2 version. anyway, off to beat this thing if it's the last taffin' thing i do!

Ghost

Looking for the Hand of Glory

(T2 version of Lord Alan's Basement)

I have the key for the room; I've had it for aeons.

What I don't know is where the Hand of Glory room is!

I have plenty of loot and the Horn of Quintus; I even know how to escape the basement (basement, hah -- it's like the underground section of one of Saddam's palaces!) But where IS the Hand room? (I'm currently in one of the tunnels facing the Infinite Crossbeams room; I'm about midway up. I can easily get either to the top of bottom of the IC room. Relative directions would be wonderful!)

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 4th Apr 2004 at 18:00.

The Hand is
    spoiler:
    not up in those tunnels. You need to find a wooden plank over the canal that runs through the basement near the stairs up to the music room. Cross it and follow it to the end. I THINK that's where it is, anyway.

Ghost

Thanks, NW

I found the Hand (with Nightwalker's hint) and finished out with a (probable) ghost: the only thing I'm concerned about is whether shutting off the forcefield with the sunburst device counts as property damage.

spoiler:
    I'm strongly tempted to say no, that doesn't count as property damage -- there is no more evidence of damage than there is when you shut off an alarm or camera. There is nothing visible to indicate damage; clearly the field can be shut off, because they have to do maintenance on the Hand of Glory every now and then... clean it, fingerprint it, trim the nails, whatever; and we have no evidence indicating that the field generator has actually been destroyed. (Even the skulls are just moved around. Even the papyrus is intact!)

But I can see an argument the other way: somebody could claim that the field itself is "property," and shutting it down by blowing it up necessarily "destroys" it. But on the whole, it's a tough enough mission, and there is no other way that I found to shut off the deadly field, so I will give myself the benefit of the doubt here.

I'll see what they say on the Eidos Forum.

By the way, near the garden exit, there is a room with a cage that contains a floating cube'o'symbols. Frobbing one face of the cube causes part of the cage to slide open. (I could only enter the cage at that spot by crouching.) Frobbing the face again causes it to close.

Is there any purpose to this device? I couldn't find any loot or any other reason for its existence. Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Dafydd

That doesn't do anything, Dafydd. It's just decorative.

Archivist

Thief 2 version

Another classic to recommend
    Lord Alan, I replayed your mission last night on Sneak. Even though it's been years since I last played it, I still find it one of the best maze missions ever . Not only a simple basement like I expected the first time, but plenty of tunnels, waterways, corridors and passages as well.
    Other maze missions I played were quite frustrating to explore, but this one just kept me involved. There was always something I overlooked. Lots of well hidden loot
    spoiler:
    in the walls ,
    keys lying around, scrolls I forgot to read (with important clues)..slowly I made more and more progress.
    I got lost the first time though but eventually I recognized more and more area's I passed through earlier. In this mission I was glad that the map shows only the important locations instead of the entire lay out.
    You never know what you can expect that way.

The beautiful music you hear when entering certain area's adds a lot to the atmosphere and finding both artifacts was a good challenge. I hope Garrett manages to keep them this time
    Although I find the detail no longer as impressive as it was years ago, there are still area's that excel. Like the Mausoleum, one of my favorite locations. And I really liked the puzzle. It took me some time before I finally noticed the
    spoiler:
    transparant statue
    Thanks to a hint I found earlier I was focusing too much on buttons.
    Other locations I like are the wooden elevator construction (I'd love to find my own route to climb up ) and Lord Alan's quarters with the
    spoiler:
    paintings to jump through.

Pity they don't make you invisisble for passing guards, what i expected
    Sneak mode was a lot of fun because of the knockout restriction. It requires carefull planning and studying of their patrol routes. Especially in the basement itself. I didn't managed to stay undetected all the time. Luckily there were a lot of corners to hide in. And I found out that wooden beams on the ceiling have another purpose, except collapse prevention. When I was being chased by several guards I ran into a dark corner, quickly shot a rope arrow into the wooden beams, climbed up and waited untill they left (Pretty weak, I know , but it works fine).
    Loot found: 4866
    Thank you for this enjoyable mission Lord Alan!

Now onto the Fortress....
    Last edited by The Phantom; 23rd Jan 2006 at 10:28.

horn of quintus

Hi all, it seems nobody had problems in getting the horn of quintus.
    I really don't know how to open the portcullis...........

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast