TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Lord Alan's Basement (Dec.4/2001)

It has been a long time. Rather than going back to check, I will be lazy and take a guess, to see if my memory holds.
    spoiler:
    Look up into a ceiling light fixture near a locked door. There is a switch up there. I believe this is in a maze passage where the texture is gray stone blocks.
    Let me know if I guessed right.

horn of quintus

Oh..........I don't think it'll be an easy search, I'll give it a try. You mean where the mausoleum door is?
    I'll let you know.
    Tha!
    Last edited by maga; 3rd Dec 2006 at 10:46.

You have to look for a section of the maze that is lower than the rest. At the north end, there's a block of wood in the ceiling above a hole in the floor. Go down through the hole and that's where you'll find the locked door and the switch that smithpd mentioned.

Yo, 'walker, how's the factory coming along?

Very well! If you want details, you'll have to ask Lord Alan but I don't think it will be TOO long before you will get to see for yourself.

This was a mission I got stuck in a long time ago. I decided to try out the T2 version, 'Action' difficulty.

Wow, I must have seen only about 30% of the mission last time - it is a LOT bigger than I had expected! Plenty of passages branching out from many places. In fact, the "loose ends" that formed became so many that I decided to keep notes about them.

I am quite stubborn sometimes when I play (more so now than last time, apparently ), and I did eventually figure out all the objectives. Still miss over 1000 loot, so I may go back to search for more. Many of the pieces I have found are tricky, so I can imagine it will be very hard to track all of them down. I see in the thread that it can be done...

Big thanks to Signore Aleotti for a great misssion.
    (but that big wooden structure by the elevator must be a huge inconvenice for the inhabitants who want to travel to and from the graden... )

I'm playing the T2 version of this mission, and I can't find the silver. The earlier posts suggest it has something to do with the music room and the painting, but the hints for the TG version don't seem to work. If I try to frob the painting, I get a "click" as if it was locked, but I can't find a way to open it.

Also regarding the Hand of Glory, I have the explosive charge, but no fire arrows. In any case, I can't get to the hand, because I can't open the bars on the doorway to that room. There is a metal panel on the wall next to it, but I can't get that to open, either.

Yes, there were changes made to the T2 version so the hints for the TG version don't necessarily apply to this one.

The Music room There's a tiny lever on the organ that opens the painting, if I recall correctly.

Hand of Glory I think there's a pressure plate in the corner that opens the metal door. The fire arrows, I believe, are in a cave near the place where you found the explosive device.

I don't have time to go check these answers now so I hope they're right. I think they are but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks. Mission complete!

Great mission, but I'm finally stuck.

I'm playing the T2 version. Have completed all objectives and collected over 5,000 loot (!) but can't find either the Hand or the real Horn. I know that you jump down into that passageway to get to the door where the real Horn is, but I can't remember how to get to the actual tunnel so that I can jump down. I've gone through all those tunnels so many times now I can't stand it. So I know where the Horn is but I can't remember how to get to the door. Very specific spoilers welcomed.

Also -- the Hand -- not a clue where that might be.

Also, is there a use for the mould I found, or is that just "stuff"?

Hand of Glory: You first have to find the key to the room. Look for a section of water with an underwater water wheel in it. Over in the far corner, there's a dead body floating. The key fell off of him and it's on the bottom over by the wall. It's a bit hard to spot so you'll have to look closely. Once you have the key, climb out the east side and walk directly south to a locked door. That's the Hand of Glory room.

Horn I'll start from the hole in the north wall of the room with the big elevator structure in it. Once you're inside that hole, turn right (W) at the corner and walk to the end of that hallway. Turn left (S) at the next corner and then turn right (W) at the end. Drop down into the lower hallway at the end and you'll find a hole in the floor that takes you down to the hallway outside the Horn room.

More hints in case you get stuck.

How to open the door: lever in the ceiling light
    How to grab the Horn: crouch down and lean in under the field surrounding it.

Thanks. I did find the key already. Being stuck in this mission caused me to keep wandering and in doing so found an unbeievable amount of loot that I otherwise would not have found. Now for the artifacts, and off I go!

Edit -- Okay, I'm obviously completely out to lunch here. I have the key. I climb out of the east side of the water near the waterwheel. I walk south. There is a door to the south that has been open for ages (didn't need the key from the water to open it), and it leads to the fake Horn. Beside the fake Horn's plinth is a gate I can't open. Through the gate I see a small hallway and the door that leads to, obviously, either the Hand or the Horn. I also know that I can drop down into that little hallway from somewhere above, because I did it ages ago, but could not open the door. I can't find the way back into that hallway. How do I get in there?

Edit again...and I must be blind because I can find no hole in the north wall of the big elevator room, only the upper way to the garden.
    Last edited by Fraser; 27th Sep 2009 at 22:02.

The easiest way to tellyou how to get to that door is to get in the water and walk the tunnels to an area you can rope up to woodem beams. There is a chest and 2 paths out. One leads to the music room and the other leads to a kind of mazy area and the hole is either near the end of the maze or just past it. By the way, if you need a hint for opening that door....look up at the light when you get there. Hope this helps.

You get to see that elevator room from more than one vantage point.

Thanks. I did finally stumble my way back down there and realized that I still had no key, and then worked out what I did need to do. So much fun packed into one mission. I only missed 50 of the loot. Probably a secret I didn't find.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    So much fun packed into one mission.
    Indeed. I like it a lot. It may not be all that polished and fancy, but it has a nice rustic feel to it and some nice gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    I only missed 50 of the loot. Probably a secret I didn't find.
    Wow, I am impressed!
    I just did a major loot hunt myself and came up 264g short, on Action difficulty (Note: Action and Sneak difficulties have 5178 maximum loot, Hunt difficulty has only 5078).

I think you miss a silver nugget somewhere. There are many of them in this mission, in wall niches and whatnot.

I have 16/17 pickpockets (probably the classic T2 bug) so I haven´t missed any purses on people.
    Looking at my remaining loot value, I guess there are at least two silver coin stacks for me to find out there. Grey little coin stacks blending in with gray walls, probably half-hidden in a wall niche somewhere...

Fraser, you didn´t find any loot in the garden, did you? As I have finished all other objectives, the mission ends after a few seconds if I get out there.

There's no loot in that garden. Good job with the loot hunting as you're right, there's stuff stuck all over the place. I know I've never found it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    Looking at my remaining loot value, I guess there are at least two silver coin stacks for me to find out there. Grey little coin stacks blending in with gray walls, probably half-hidden in a wall niche somewhere...
    Yay, I did find two silver coin stacks, in wall niches, just as I suspected.

However, that is all the success I´ve had. Still 240g to go.

5 1/2 hours now, and it feels like I have been everywhere three times over.

Smashed every barrel and large crate, just to see if there was something behind/inside them. I don´t think Andrea would be evil enough to hide stuff inside crates anyway - all loot pieces I have found have been "fair", i.e. not insidiously hidden.

I went through the whole wine collection, in case there was a rare brand not labelled as such. Nope.

I wonder if there might be something that does not really look like loot. Earlier, I found two grey bowls worth 10g each.

I thought I was onto something when water arrows sent the little grey bowls (with burning fire inside them) in the mausoleum flying into the well in the middle. Alas, they were not frobbable down there.

I spent a LOT of time wandering around lost and basically stumbled on loot as I went. I found quite a bit of loot in the maze of hallways that take you to the crypt and the big elevator room, etc. There are lots of chests in dead ends in there. I actually impressed myelf on that loot count. Normally I don't do so well.

OY!

Well, here I am again, in yet another brain bustingly involved FM!

Aw heck wid it! I'll just taff as I can in here, come across whatever whenever wherever however!

So far I have fallen into a cave and gotten some flamers and a big bang bang (and did a lil mo spidey snipin!), found a scroll that pretty much ruined the day for the guyz responsible for guarding the cellar chests, and am amassing yet another collection of nice shiny nifty and handy keys!
    (is funny, whenever some guard strolls on past my crouchy corner, anything strapped to his back or dangling from his waist just seems to jump to me! Things like scrolls,keys,arrows,potions! Guess they just want to be with me more than them! )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! Lord Alan aparently hired Donkey Kong as the architect for this thing!:
    Last edited by Garrett's Shadow; 15th Jan 2010 at 00:00.

Someone please help here?

1. Is there a use for the multi-mold and the gear I have found?
    (shameful how stuff is just lying around, like it's askin ta be taffed!)

Well, I guess I did "find" the silver (and gold), but for some dumb ass reason, I thought that meant that I'D GET TO TAKE IT!!!
    2. Is there a way to open that portrait in the music room?

3. What's up with the floating cube in the cage with the flashing glyphs?

4. Where's the real horn?

1. I have no idea!

2. Take a closer look at the organ. One of the keys is the switch.

3. Its just there for show as far as I know. It does show up in the nest mission though.

4. You need to goto the highest part of the basement. The best way to explain it is if you walk through the river to the point where there are wooden beams above you and climb them with rope arrows. When you get to the top, one way leads to the music rooms. The other leads to the maze area. Look for a hole in the maze area. Drop down and you will be in a hall near the fake horn. Goto the foor and check out the light above. Once in, get the horn. Hope this helps!

I played this mission a few months ago. It had a neat fairy-tale like atmoshpere because of the background musicand the whole mission (at least the starting stages) of it reminded me of some early childhood, somehow. After that it just got lonely.

oki!

Thanx Stingm! I will go check it outsie!
    (silly city manfools, always building such silly places, like they can build better than the woodsie lord can grow naturally!)

Argh! Can't find the hole Stingm!
    (no innuendos there people!)
    Haha! TTLG dozit agin! Found it!
    Last edited by Garrett's Shadow; 15th Jan 2010 at 09:11.

very impressive, but still stuck

I very much enjoyed this map. Kudos (belated) to the Author. I've finished the level now, and managed to get everything except for the Silver Secret Correspondence, and the third (upper) floor of the Mausoleum without hints. (Playing Thief Gold version)

The hints in this thread helped me get the Silver objective checked off by looking behind the painting.

However, I've read the entire thread now, and yet I'm still stuck. I can't seem to figure out how to get up to the third floor of the mausoleum. I read the plaque in the floor, which says 7 to 1, 3 to 1, 5 to 1. In desperation I've managed to mantle up into each "window" opening and walked/jumped off each one into the swirly lights below. I can't seem to teleport up to the level above. I did manage a running jump/mantle combo to get to the lower level, but how does one get to the upper level?

Welcome to the forums, kent!

There's a plaque that says "“Counting 7 will show you a door, counting 2 will show you one more. To come back alive, just count to 4.” " Combine that with a note that you find in the level about the cleaner being spooked because his hand goes right through the statues and you might figure it out.

If that doesn't do it, here's a total spoiler: This is an excerpt from an old walkthrough I wrote.
    "Starting with the statue to the right of the floor plaque, count 7 statues, which takes you to the 3rd statue to the left of the door. If you look, you’ll see it’s slightly transparent and there’s a faint musical sound. Jump right through it into the alcove and you’ll be teleported to the second level of the Mausoleum (which is actually below the haunt level). In the alcove you materialize in, there are 2 gold candlesticks, worth 100g. (1986). Jump down and moving to the left to the next alcove, you’ll find 2 more candlesticks, worth 100g. (2086), and a blue chest that contains a pair of eyeglasses, also worth 100g. (2186). In the next alcove, there are 2 gold candlesticks, but leave them for now. This is the second alcove mentioned in the riddle and the candlesticks will allow you to find it easily. Go on to the next alcove, where you’ll find 2 gold candlesticks, worth 100g. (2286), and a blue chest, holding a ring, worth 100g. (2386). Now, go back to the alcove where you left the candlesticks, worth 100g. (2486), pick them up and jump in. You’ll be teleported to the top level of the Mausoleum. The clue for here says to count to 4, so 4 alcoves to your left will be the teleport. Pick up the 2 candlesticks, worth 100g. (2586), in this alcove, jump down and take the 2 candlesticks, worth 100g. (2686), from the alcove to your right. Then, moving to the left from the alcove where you appeared, go past the first 2 alcoves, which contain nothing of value, to the third one to your left. Pick up the 2 gold candlesticks, worth 100g. (2786), then pick up the 2 candlesticks, also worth 100g. (2886), in the next alcove and jump in. You will teleport back to the level where you entered the Mausoleum."

I hope that helps!