TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - Stronghold (June 2001)

Woo Hoo I did it !

I went ahead and used the slow fall potions and after trying a couple of times I finally made it. Your right the sheildbreaker sword was awsome. I had no more mines left so it came in handy. I beat the mission. Now im working on the Inverted Mance mission and that one is tough too. I may be calling on you guys for help on that one also. Im having a tough time allready getting past the danm zombies and reading the map correctly.

Again thanks, and have fun

Glad to hear it. I just loved that shieldbreaker sword. There's a sword called "The Sword of Balance" in TTGM Shoreleave that's almost as good. This is the way I had expected Constantine's sword to be in Thief 1. I was very disappointed that after the whole build up they gave it, the sword didn't kill any quicker than the one Garrett had before it.

I had a real hard time with the Inverted Manse. It took me until at least half way through the mission before I got a handle on what it was all about. Once you do though, it's very enjoyable. I'll give you my opinion on something, other's may disagree. About the big vault, (you may not want to read this),

spoiler:
    Don't go nuts trying to get what's in there. They are explosive arrows that are very slow flying and only safe to use at great distances. The worst thing about them is that they replace the Fire arrows in your inventory. Once you pick them up, the #5 key activates them, and even after they're all used up, you don't get your Fire arrows back. I found the Fire arrows to be of much greater use. I'm telling you this because I asked for the vault code, and then spent about 4 or 5 hours playing the same scenes over again because I realized the Ballistic arrows are pretty useless. They're just too damn powerful. They damage Garrett almost everytime you use one. I hope that wasn't too much of a spoiler for you.

Like I said, once you get a handle on how to play this mission it's quite good. My only real complaint about it was all the undead, but then again, I'm just not much for missions that feature the undead. I don't mind a few, but I don't like a lot.

Badarm

yea your right the dead can get pretty annoying at times. I lost my theif 1 game awhile back so i cant do the maps for those I wish i could. Cant wait till theif 3 comes out !
    The spoiler was fine no worries, I didnt know anything about the killer arrows yet anyway and yes i did see the vault and my eyes lit up like HELL YA wonder whats in there lol lol, but if that all thats in there i would rather not bother with it as im sure ill be busy with the rest of the mission. if you know of all the best of the fan made maps give me a list of all the ones you really enjoyed playing and ill d/l em all. That way if i need some serious help il call on ya hehe. Thanks for the tips. Maybe i can help you sometime.

Thanks

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I think the 'w' key cycles through the various weapons in a particular weapon slot, doesn't it? You should be able to get back to your fire arrows that way. Although I'm not sure because I've never tried it.

Hi diamondz,

I'll work on a list of my favorite FMs for you. I'm fairly new to them, only been playing maybe a month. Karrasdiary was my first, and is still one of my favorites.

Maybe you can help me if you've played Shoreleave - Up Shits Creek? I'm seriously stuck in Up Shits Creek. I'm still pretty much at the beginning of it and I just don't see where to go. I've been running around for well over an hour. I found 2 snake head idols, and I believe I have to find some more and use them to open a door some where, but where the snake heads are or the door, I have no idea. I'm really badly stuck.

Usually Nightwalker knows almost everything, and she helps everyone, but I haven't seen a post from her in many days. I don't know what's happened to her. I hope she's ok. I'm beginning to get a little worried.

So if you, or anyone else reading this can help me with Up Shits Creek, I'll be most appreciative.

Badarm

I kinda like getting stuck realbad sometimes lol lol it makes things more intense. Anyway I havent played that 1 yet but as soon as I got this reply I went to get it and I will be playing it today to see if i can catch up to where your at lol. Then we can work together on it. Im in the Eastern time zome and ill start on it about 4:00 pm today, we'll see what happens.

Keep in touch,

P.S Hope she is allright too.

Stronghold V4

I just wanted to take this time to thank the author of Stronghold for making it, its a cool mission and i tohught it could tie in nicely somewhere in The Metal Age. I loved every minute of it (except when i was being ripped apart by the ent lol)

Keep up the Good Work!

-- ShadowWolf

BANNED
    Uh..... what ent?

Oh... you mean the treebeast?

Really.... I saw some bad ratings for it, pretty much I think its a "fun" mission, not meant to have great story but just to have fun little puzzels, that sword REALLY rocks, you can even kill bots with it in like 3 or less hits, guards in 1 or 2... and anything else quickly

lol yuh the sword is tha bomb! i was killing every mech and guard i could find
    and those like 6 bots grouped togather are in need of some serious repair muhahahaha

Taking a break
    I like the sword too! Some will undoubtly
    complain its too powerful, but sometimes it's
    just plain fun to step out of the shadows
    and leave nothing but body parts behind!
    The heartbeat sound did give me the creeps though!

After all the other people now I'm stuck, too. Maybe a bit late, but I started playing FMs only recently
    So, here is my problem:

I have shieldbreaker, but I can't find a way out of the stronghold again. I am now in the area with the 6 mechbeasts and I have demolished them all thanks to my pretty new sword
    There is a portcullis and I can see the entrance through it, but I can't open this door. The way I came is no option either because I used some slowfall potions to get to where I am and I have no idea how to get back.

rani

You can't get through those gates. You need to head down to the north end of that area and go through a set of doors that take you outside. Explore there and you'll find a way to continue.

Found it! Thanks!
    (Can't understand why I couldn't see the exit for myself, though. But sometimes I'm looking desperately for the shoes that are on my very feet

I have the same questions, and didn't find any answers in the forums.
    Feel free to spoiler me.

Stuck in Stronghold

Gerhard Eichberger

Some days ago I have written that I'm stuck in mission 3 "Escape" of the Lord Ashton series. Now I'm stuck in Stronghold, and a second time it is in conjunction with a battle robot.

However, in "Escape" the problem was that the unconsicous robot was just standing in my way so that I could not go out of the room. But in "Stronghold" something more weird has happened...

There is the house with the stairs with the moveable wall behind the Hammerite banner. The wall was moved by clicking on the statues in the other building in a specific order. Inside the open wall there is a switch (looks like a light-switch) that closes and opens also this wall.

I moved on and a battle-robot came. I ran back to the room with the stairs and went to the left side so that the robot could not reach me with his shots. It cannot pass the opening in the wall because it is too large.

I have sometimes brought a battle-robot to destroying itself with its own shots: When the robot stands near a wall and it shoots then the bombs may explode in his near and damage the robot. So I have hidden on the stairs making noises.

Unfortunately it happened that the robot shooted and the wall closed. I think it has shooted against the switch that closes the wall.

So I ran back to the room with the statues to re-open the wall - but it doesn't function. The wall stays closed. Also, I can now klick on any statue in any order, the robot-spiders do not come down. It seems that we can only open the wall ONCE by the statues...

This means, I'm stuck!!!

Or is there another way to get in this district? And where does the Stronghold-key fit?

Well, I have to reload a very much earlier saved game...

To the creators of the fan missions:

Please don't misunderstand me, it's a great work what you are doing. And the Lord Ashton series and Stronghold are fantastic. However, a small beg: Could you please give a little bit attention in designing so that we couldn't get stuck in this way? A destroyed robot standing in the way or a wall that can be opened only once are a little bit problematic. It would be better when Garret could re-open the wall with the statues. (Well, I think the thing with the robot blocking Garrett's way is much harder to avoid - in "Escape" the robot was originally standing outside together with some soldiers. But when I saw them I ran back into the house and in one of the offices and closed the door to blackjack the enemies. This worked fine with the soldiers but now the battle robot blocks the only exit from this office.)

And, of course, I should not save always into the same file...

Gerhard

No-one has an answer?

Gerhard Eichberger

No-one has an answer on this? And on the other thing (stuck in the Lord Ashton series)?

Gerhard

I don't remember what the Stronghold key opens, I'm afraid. I don't think there's another way into the next area, though, so you may have to restart but I can't say for sure.

As for robots blocking your way, you do know that you can smash them apart with your sword, right? They fall to bits and then you can get by with no problem.

I'm sorry Gerhard, but it seems that you will have to reload your much earlier save for stronghold. That hallway is the only way into Stronghold, at least as far as I know. The stronghold key opens the wooden door at the end of that hallway that the bot is in. That will let you into the stronghold itself.

As for the Lord Ashton series, I haven't had time to play it yet ... but is there enough room to swing hit the bot and eventually dismember it ? That way the bot body could be moved out of the way...

Edit: Nightwalker stole my answer ! She is the master thief
    Last edited by Moghedian; 9th Feb 2004 at 00:07.

Need help in stronghold FM!

OK, this is where I am, I am at the bridge over the lava and I have found the ladder that leads to a small conduit with spiders (killed them!) and I have done everything below INCLUDING going up to both guard towers by the lava bridge and on one, it had a switch I pulled and then garrett said "time to go".....this is where I am stuck....time to go where?

The gate at the end of the hallway is unmoveable...I have been to the servants quarters...and the ONLY thing I can see that would get me going again, is the place just outside the crawlspace with the spiders....but I cannot seem to get OUT at the end of it (It has large rocks in my way) even though I can see a closed set of doors on the other side! What do I do? Am I not doing something right? How do I get there?

Gerhard Eichberger

Quote Originally Posted by webe123
    OK, this is where I am, I am at the bridge over the lava and I have found the ladder that leads to a small conduit with spiders (killed them!) and I have done everything below INCLUDING going up to both guard towers by the lava bridge and on one, it had a switch I pulled and then garrett said "time to go".....this is where I am stuck....time to go where?

The gate at the end of the hallway is unmoveable...I have been to the servants quarters...and the ONLY thing I can see that would get me going again, is the place just outside the crawlspace with the spiders....but I cannot seem to get OUT at the end of it (It has large rocks in my way) even though I can see a closed set of doors on the other side! What do I do? Am I not doing something right? How do I get there?
    You are wrong here. From here you can only SEE the way where you will leave later.

Go into the hallway. One of the doors leads to a second short hallway. On the right side there is a door. There is a room with a sleeping guard sitting near a fireplace. Go into the fireplace and look upwards.

You can go first through the other door. You will reach a room with sleeping servants and many chests containing needful equipement.

However, I have another question:

How to handle the thing with the teleportations?

Gerhard

Door in stronghold?

spoiler:
    OK, it has been awhile since I have played this fan mission, but I know how to get to the door behind the banner by solving the statue puzzle.

But there is another door with a sign by it that reads: "Authorized perrsonel only. See watch commander for entry." I cannot remember weather or not this door opens or is part of the game.I do not even know HOW to open it, if it is able to be opened.

Can someone shed some light on this door's function. It is NON FROBBABLE! But yet there is a sign by it. Like I said, it has been awhile since I have played this mission.

If you can open it...HOW do you open it exactly? It is the one on the fourth floor with the "death statue" by it.

Thanks in advance.

Archivist

Stronghold update

JohnEric released an updated version of his FM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEric
    I have not changed anything in it, but did update my contact information and gave a little extra help for the spider room in the opening Darkloader text.
    http://www.johneric.org/stronghold.zip
    Thank you for your help. JohnEric
    All FM hosts are asked to upload this latest version.

Great! It gives me an idea of what to replay tonight.

I'm going to replay this one again, too. This was one of first batch of FMs I ever played. Some diverse environments including the snowy beginning.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast