TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - Stronghold (June 2001)

Some good recommendations, was needing a new FM. Thanks for the bump!

Thiefmissions.com

Speaking of this mission, there used to be some hints at http://www.3dactionplanet.com/thief/...ld_spoiler.txt but this URL no longer goes anywhere useful. Would anyone happen to remember what used to be there, or happen to have a copy of those hints?

@ epithumia, wayback machine to the rescue:

http://web.archive.org/web/200706071...ld_spoiler.txt

And don't forget this one.

Stronghold is in Volume One.

Thiefmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    And don't forget this one.
    Unfortunately those aren't really in a format that's going to be useful to me or thiefmissions. If I could get individual plain text or html versions of the stuff in those files, I'd be happy to add them to the site.

Unfortunately, when I lost my hard drive a few months back, all of the work files disappeared.

Thiefmissions.com

I suppose they could be converted back to text with a little work (or a lot of typing). Certainly not something I'm up to doing now, but I might be able to do that in the future with your permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    Unfortunately, when I lost my hard drive a few months back, all of the work files disappeared.
    Here's a conversion. Big file.
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-..._v1_2.doc.html

Archivist
    The first time I played Stronghold, back in 2003, I never actually finished it because of it's difficulty.
    But replaying it now, with years of thieving experience behind me, it was almost too easy.
    Take note, folks. If a mission gives you problems then just try it again a few years later.

Even though it's a mission from the early days of dromEd, and the visuals are dated, it's still looking highly attractive thanks to the fog and snow effects.
    There are some lovely magical sceneries to wander through, with some pretty cool enemy encounters (getting the apes walk into their own campfire was fun). The stronghold is a bit empty but was still fun with the portals and magic that slow your progresss. In terms of detail: nice work on Garrett's hideaway (one of the cosiest i've ever visited in a FM), and seeing the stronghold servants sink in their beds while sleeping (too often they just float on top of it).

I like the references to Karras and the stronghold he built to hide a powerful sword. It's all pretty vague at the start but the scrolls give plenty of depth to the narrative. The sword is amazing, with the warning sounds and the familiars it creates. Great stuff .
    I'm not such a killer in FMs (more the contrary) but I couldn't resist wacking droids and guards inside the fortress .

The ending leaves room for a sequel. Too bad that never happened.

Some notes of criticism are that there is too much equipment and the absence of secrets and side objectives.
    But Stronghold remains an entertaining adventure through several unique settings. It has a nice atmopsheric, lovely snow and fog effects, and a powerful magical weapon to wield. Pretty impressive consider this to be one of the first T2 FMs ever made.

Don't mind the release date. If you haven't played this one yet then be sure to give it a try.
    Grab the latest version from a few posts up.

Details
    Difficulty: Intense
    Time: 1 hour 27 minutes 37 seconds
    Loot: 1005 out of 1405.

Quote Originally Posted by epithumia View Post
    I suppose they could be converted back to text with a little work (or a lot of typing). Certainly not something I'm up to doing now, but I might be able to do that in the future with your permission.
    I just now read this! Anyone can do whatever they want with these walkthroughs. The pdf files aren't locked, so you can drag/copy/paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Sxerks View Post
    @ epithumia, wayback machine to the rescue:

http://web.archive.org/web/200706071...ld_spoiler.txt
    I have re-posted the spoiler.txt file. http://www.johneric.org/spoiler.txt

Quote Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
    spoiler:
    OK, it has been awhile since I have played this fan mission, but I know how to get to the door behind the banner by solving the statue puzzle.

But there is another door with a sign by it that reads: "Authorized perrsonel only. See watch commander for entry." I cannot remember weather or not this door opens or is part of the game.I do not even know HOW to open it, if it is able to be opened.

Can someone shed some light on this door's function. It is NON FROBBABLE! But yet there is a sign by it. Like I said, it has been awhile since I have played this mission.

If you can open it...HOW do you open it exactly? It is the one on the fourth floor with the "death statue" by it.

Thanks in advance.
    If the door is not Frobbable, then it is just a bit of detail and not intended to open.
    Taffer Logic

spoiler:
    About the statue puzzle, hit the winged statue on the right first.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 3rd Jul 2010 at 12:44.
    Taffer Logic

The latest version of Stronghold may have fixed those bugs. If not, I apologize.

The ending leaves room for a sequel. Too bad that never happened.
    Actually, I have been thinking about doing a sequel to this if Thief 4 comes out with a good editor program. Writing the storyline should be fun. I would create a new weapon of power though. Perhaps a hammer that ...
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 3rd Jul 2010 at 12:44.
    Taffer Logic

HOLY SMOKE!

Hey, all. After playing a few more FMs I decided to come back and replay my own. EGADS! It isn't easy, even for the author! I forgot so many things about it that it was like I've never played it. I must be getting old (54 now). I'm still pleased with it; although, I did notice some errors. There's a floating torch I thought I got rid of back in version 3. Hm. Well, I'm not doing a version 5, so, I will just explain it away by claiming that the floating torch is caused by the Shieldbreaker's sense of humor; since it is wandering around through it's proxy, firey, familiars and can do what it wants to freak people out. Yeah, I know, lame. LOL Addressing the issue of there being so much inventory I will have to say that all of the goodies are not necessarily needed, unless you want to bully and/or go invisible a lot. Also, I did notice that there is no button in the tree door to call up the elevator, but this was done intentionally so that people would have to use up their slow fall potions on the way down in order to survive the fall. I really don't want you to go this way. Thus, you have to get more slow-fall potion later in the game. It takes about 3 to 4 clicks of the slow fall potion to survive the fall. Then, if you want to come back up, there is an up button at the end of your fall. You will most likely have to use up some healing juice as well.
    Taffer Logic

It's nice that you've come back and played your own mission after all these years! It was always a fun one that I've played several times myself in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    It's nice that you've come back and played your own mission after all these years! It was always a fun one that I've played several times myself in the past.
    I would like to know if I updated the text information on the actual version 4. The question is, did I HAVE version four on my computer when I updated the text information. I know that sounds odd, but it is possible that (due to the many years that's passed and some computer issues over that time) I might have restored my computer to have only version 3. I'm just questioning the floating torch, since I thought I fixed that. If someone actually has the version 4 I uploaded years ago could you send me a link to download it from you so I can double check myself?
    Taffer Logic

Thiefmissions.com

Well, the version I have at http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=Stronghold at least purports in the Stronghold.txt file to be the fourth release:

Date of fourth release : Jan 2nd, 2003

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Strange to see this on the first page of the forum, because I just finished this mission about 5 minutes ago. I know it's an old mission, and there isn't really much to say, except JohnEric why not just go totally overboard and do a mission for each one of the eight (I think) swords? I really did try and ghost this thing but I gave up about halfway through and started knocking those suckers out.

Why is there not an emoticon of a happy face getting knocked over the head with a blackjack, it would've worked so beautifully at the end of the above paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by epithumia View Post
    Well, the version I have at http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=Stronghold at least purports in the Stronghold.txt file to be the fourth release:

Date of fourth release : Jan 2nd, 2003
    Thanks. This should do the trick for double checking the copy I have.
    Taffer Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Strange to see this on the first page of the forum, because I just finished this mission about 5 minutes ago. I know it's an old mission, and there isn't really much to say, except JohnEric why not just go totally overboard and do a mission for each one of the eight (I think) swords?.
    Obviously, that would take a LOT of work. I also took liberties with Shieldbreaker (the familiars). I do believe that if I do a sequel at the Thief 4 phase (if it happens) I will use the same sword. If there's anything I learned from writing books and stories it is that people really like a "Comeback."
    Taffer Logic

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEric View Post
    Thanks. This should do the trick for double checking the copy I have.
    I guess all of the web masters that have copies of "Stronghold" did a great job of keeping them updated, because the Version 4 you gave me the link for is the same one I uploaded last. So, I am just going to live with the floating torch. Maybe it isn't floating for everyone? LOL In mine, it's floating above the lava river.
    Taffer Logic

Stronghold...

was the first mission with falling Snow. That was so wild when I opened it the 1st time. Really liked that

I can't find the stronghold key anywhere

EDIT: Sorry, never mind, the priestess had it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast