TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 17 1234561116 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM - The Art of Thievery (Dec. 8, 2001)

Thief 2 FM - The Art of Thievery (Dec. 8, 2001)

Richard Cull, the author of "A Smuggler's Request", has given me the honor of announcing the release of his new T2 FM "The Art of Thievery". It's a huge mansion mission that is just fantastic! I have been lucky enough to be beta testing it and I know you're going to love it.

There are multiple, optional objectives and loads of secrets to find. On Stealth, the expert setting, the mission is completely "ghostable", for those of you who love to sneak. You can do the entire mission without alerting any guards or setting off alarms, but only if you choose to play that way. It's not a requirement.

Other mission download sites:
    http://thiefmissions.com/m/art
    http://thief-thecircle.com/missions/
    http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm
    http://darklurker.org/T2_DarkOrg.html

Have fun!
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 20th Jul 2012 at 10:15. Reason: updated download sites

Gone, but never forgotten

I stopped downloading it, thank you

It's available at Cheap Thief Mission Downloads now, as well.

Taking a break

I'll have it up at the Keep sometime today

I started to play this mission, and I might say that this mission is awesome.I am playing on Ghost and its very challenging. I cant seem to find any fault with this one so far. The only observation I have is that this mansion has so many cameras and yet no cameras near Lord Baffor's room. Why is that?. Anyway, the author has done a fantastic job on this one. Thank you. [Thumbs Up!]

Bit of a problem- there's no sound whatsoever on Ghost level. The text file says it takes 5 seconds to start, but it doesn't start at all for me. Anything to be done?

Yes at the beginning of the mission I did not have any sound at all, so Ive checked my sound file under option of thief and it was enable.I would say it took about 1 minute through the mission that the sound returned. I dont know why?. Now I am half way through the mission and I am really enjoying this. Its so huge, many areas to explore. Great job [Thumbs Up!]

Richard tried to fix the sound problem at the beginning of the "Stealth" difficulty, but was unable to. It should, however, disappear, shortly after you start the mission. I don't have any idea why it would continue for you, Skeptic Intruder. Why don't you try it on "Hard" and see if it works for you there. There has never been any sound problem with it.

Taking a break

The Art of Thievery is now available at the Keep

Got it working now. It never came back no matter how long I waited, but a quicksave seemed to fix it just fine.

Nightwalker, you were not kidding me when you said that this a huge mission. [Thumbs Up!]

Nope, I wasn't kidding! It's absolutely huge and beautiful. On my third time through, and I wasn't trying to sneak, even though I knew the map pretty well, I still had over 6 hours of recorded play time in and that doesn't include all the re-starts after I messed up. Another thing, is that it's quite different on each level, if you start with the easiest setting first. It gives it a lot of replayability. I don't think it would so much, if you start on the Ghost setting first, though.

It's good fun going through all the difficulty levels and seeing how it has been made easier/harder in certain places. An incredibly well made FM, really tough too. Never had such a high knockout count either [Laff] ;
    Spoiler:
    I remember being into the eighties at one point.
    Probably a few more than that about though!

Finally managed to complete objectives on the hard except find all the secrets. RiCh you certainly know how to produce fantastic visual gameplay and with The Art of Thievery versalility too .... I recomend this FM to anyone. Back to see if I can find my 4 missing secrets.

Richard, what an incredible FM! I gotta say this a huge lots-o-places to go level and a couple of things I just have to comment on is the sound ambients are just really well done (went back in dromed to see which 1's you used...lol) and the routes and flee points for the AI's (as well as just the right # of..) are also setup really well IMO.

Ok, and the architecture and room design and the texturing is awesome as well - man that dude's got a bigger library than most public libraries.. It's a good lesson for those of us that really don't think to make HUGE rooms in Dromed (preaching to meself here ) or that the grid is really not that big - that they just look awesome and give such a great awestruck feeling to the player when they first enter one (think of the big statue entranceway here....which is 104x104xwhatever...) that it can really be a great idea for a FM.

Well done FM again and just one thing I got stuck on (even after I threw Dromed open..haha)
    Spoiler:
    In the room where you get the sword (cool how you can enter from the attic of a bldg across btw), you have a switch under the chair that is "hidden" in it's properties but opens the secret doors under the statues that has a ladder that goes down to another area - how do you activate this? It shows up in Dromed (how I found out about it) but in game mode how do you activate the switch?

Thanks again for the FM - what a blast it was.

p.s. when I was going through the level I was looking at all the objects thinking "Man, he either has to be right at the wall for object count limit or he's through the wall....." haha. So I opened the "info_window" and boom there it was.....3295 object count...so I was wrong, you went way past the limit!

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: Garrettwannabe ]

Garrettwanabee - You have to play in Expert
    Spoiler:
    to get the switch under the chair. The ending is really quite different and you get to see some terrific stuff that isn't there on Hard. There is a total of 17 secrets on Stealth to look for, as well.

runs off the play The Art of Thievery...

Playing the Art of Thievery on Hard . I can't open the safe in the room that you get to from the platform above the room. The big wheel room "thang". Help !!! The Old Geez !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PS All other objectives complete.

wow! Wow!! WOW!!! That's one of the best fan mission I ever played!!!!

I would give it a gold hammer!!

I'd love to help, oldgeezer, but I'm not sure exactly where you are. Are you in the Lord's study trying to open the safe?? If you are, then
    Spoiler:
    The safe key should be on the Lord, who is standing in the room.

If that's not where you are, could you be a little more specific. There are several "big wheel" things in this one.

I just found a minor bug. DON'T DROP THE JEWELLED SWORD after you pick it up. If you do, you won't be able to pick it up again and you can't finish the mission. I was playing on expert difficulty, if that matters.

Wow! I never came across that one in beta testing. Thanks for posting a warning, Brian_R170.

Nightwalker :
    Hello again -- I need the sword ? Been all over and the only thing I haven't been able to open is a safe in a room with a platform in the big wheel. The room has several big wheels and I got to it by climbing a rope arrow from the library floor below. You also can get to this room from the house next door's attic ????

Well, I finished it on HaRd last night, and it was quite a treat! A very big house indeed, full of cool stuff. I KO'd 89 unfortunates myself, and fulfilled every bonus except that I only found 8 of 12 secrets. Hmm.

I started earlier this evening on GhOsT level and I can see that it's going to be very nerveracking to get through this at this level, what with all those guards with big eyes and ears, all those noisy click-clack floors and Garrett wearing his tap heels to work as usual!

That's definitely the Lord's study, oldgeezer. The key to the safe should be where I said in my post before, if you are playing on Hard.

Page 1 of 17 1234561116 ... LastLast