TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - Cathedral of the Damned v0.60 (Jan 2002)

Dark Angel

T2 FM - Cathedral of the Damned v0.60 (Jan 2002)

Since i said before that i was going to get this finished around November and its still not finished (mainly because as of late i've not been working on it at all!), i've decided to publicly release this beta i gave out on IRC in December for testing.

i didn't make an effort to set this up for use with this DarkLoader program that some of you seem to be so fond of but nonetheless, apparently it works with it. There's a "Documentation.rtf" contained in the .zip with contact info, the story/situation and other such type things, just to let you know since you'd probably not notice it if used with DarkLoader.

So anyway, if anyone is interested: (Designed for and requires Thief II: The Metal Age v1.18)
    'Cathedral of the Damned' Beta 1

(...or if for some reason you'd rather download from FilePlanet...)

Oh and feel free to post any comments, questions and of the like here if you so desire

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Dark Angel ]

downloading now...
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

While examining the .zip file my first impression is that most of the files are unneccessary as we already have them, so the file size could be shrunk down considerably. But I'm not sure, perhaps you edited all these files so these one's are different...
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Holy damn I'll have to wait 11 minutes for the d/l to start!

Pretty decent level so far! Only thing is that I am used to haunts and zombies now. They don't scare me anymore.

Good level so far. I'm almost done except for I'm missing 50 in gems. I liked these three new features.

1. The guy hanging from the tree slowly moving with the breeze along with the creaking sound from the rope.
    2. After exploding a zombie, all of the parts rememaind (and were frobbable, eeewwww), instead of just a head and torso.
    3. The rope and bell was good, too.

Spoiler:
    It looks like there's a secret under/near the west stairs between the 1st and 2nd floor. I haven't found a use for that candle yet, either.

Thiefmissions.com

It's up at my site for those who are still waiting on fileplanet.
    - J<

I killed every haunt and got to the metal door at the top of the house which I thought would be openable by the "ritual room" key that I have, but its not! So where is the right key???

This level is what I'm waiting for! I saw screenshots on Keep... Downloading now...

[quote]Originally posted by Auriga2us:
    I killed every haunt and got to the metal door at the top of the house which I thought would be openable by the "ritual room" key that I have, but its not! So where is the right key???

Try searching the Haunt patrolling near that door (at least it was on his belt on the hard skill). It's called the "Armory Key", and may be very helpful.

After a long spell of no-Thiefness, this mission was a pleasant surprise...hope it gets finished within my lifetime.
    The Foxhole
    "...so she went to the Sorbonne. You know, in France?"
    "Oh. For a minute there, I thought you meant the one in Utah."

Yeah, thanks I found it. Except now I am missing the damned dagger,since it wasn't in the armory room, I even got the pool already activated and all for it.

I liked the bell and the guy hanging from the tree too. The mission was small (and that's only a good thing, it wasn't a maze like some fm's).

I didn't like the unkillable necromancer and I got stuck in a door near the healing font. I hope you explain why the place is haunted in the briefing.

It was a good mission, worth the downloading time.

[Thumbs Up!]

I dunno about anyone else here but I couldn't get this to run at all. It crashes Theif while loading and even in dromed it gives me a "not enough memory" error before it loads too. And what is it DA has against DarkLoader anyway?

Dark Angel

Thank you all, for your comments and such

[quote]Originally posted by Dark Arrow:
    I didn't like the unkillable necromancer and I got stuck in a door near the healing font. I hope you explain why the place is haunted in the briefing.

Spoiler:
    The necromancer isn't invulnerable to defeat by any means...you just have to think. [Hint: The necromancer is non-physical, so you must go about destroying it by non-physical means]

It is explained why the place is haunted, its just hinted rather than being told openly.

[quote]Originally posted by Metalhead:
    And what is it DA has against DarkLoader anyway?

Its not that i have anything against it, its just that i don't use it, don't understand it, and furthermore couldn't care less about it
    On the final release i'll have someone make a version of it thats specificly setup for use with DarkLoader, just for those of you who use it. It sounds to me like you've simpily just not got the memory to run it though...

Metalhead, I used darkloader with no problems. Maybe there's an error in your zip file. I got my copy from File Planet before it was available on the Circle.

Dark Angel, the problems I've had so far are
    1. It seems I have to be unusually close to objects in order to frob them. It's annoying to always have to back out of the way so you can open a door that swings toward you. Anybody else notice this or is it just me?
    2. There was a ghost (I think it was the ghost of the guy hanging in the tree) walking clockwise around the perimeter of the cathedral wall. He disappeared at some point, and I can't figure out why.
    3. The door directly facing the healing fountain blocks the corridor when left open. I suspect this is how Dark Arrow got stuck. Maybe that door should open the other direction.

I'm playing on expert and I've got 1590 loot, but I'm still 50 short on gems. Can anybody help?

Spoiler:
    I figured out that "secret" that I thought was under the west stairs between the 1st and second floor isn't a secret at all. When you open the vertical sliding stone door upstairs, it is visible downstairs and looks like a secret. It threw me because on the map there is a small unused area right behind it.

Dark Angel

[quote]I'm playing on expert and I've got 1590 loot, but I'm still 50 short on gems. Can anybody help?

i'll be sure to make that "200 in Gems" objective a little easier, several people are getting stuck on that.
    Spoiler:
    Look ontop a tombstone in the cemetery, there sits a gem ring.

If anyone else has any problems at all please let me know so i can do something about them!

Regarding the necromancer:

Dark Angle said:
    Spoiler:
    The necromancer isn't invulnerable to defeat by any means...you just have to think. [Hint: The necromancer is non-physical, so you must go about destroying it by non-physical means]

Does that mean:
    Spoiler:
    Since the necromancer disappeared on me, does that mean I somehow killed the necromancer without even knowing it? How do you kill him? I want to know if I actually killed him unwittingly or if he just disappeared due to a bug.

Dark Angel

It would seem that you just scared him away...
    Spoiler:
    Seriously though, yeah it is just a bug. Theres nothing that can really be done about that either, unless we had the source...then that might be fixable. So, no that doesn't mean he was killed, he mearly went into the wall and got stuck inside. But even if that does happen, there's still a way to destroy him.

Ditto to what Mr Metalhead said - will not load in Darkloader for me or cannot get it to open in Dromed either. I was a lil confused DA by the statement in the documentation [quote]To install simpily move the contents of this directory into your Thief II: The Metal Age directory and run Thief normally. So, yes currently you will need Thief II: The Metal Age installed to play this!

Did you mean to extract the whole zip file (all the directories) into Thief 2 and then run TGold Darkloader? Also, as per the above quote - am I to understand you're using T2 files but it runs through TGold?

The only thing I found different was the file I got from the "Cheap Missions" webpage was actually 12,501K in size. Somehow, I got more than the 12.2 size.

Well, I'll try to just extract the gam and Miss17.mis to my TGold folder and run it through Dromed to at least check it out.

Dark Angel

Ahh, i see...it was designed for use with Thief II, thats probably why its not running
    What you could do is simply extract that .zip into your Thief II: The Metal Age directory and then run Thief II normally. That was how i intended it to be setup.

...just out of curiosity, where were you getting the idea that it was designed for use with Thief Gold?

Was it just because of the "...and run Thief normally." part?
    i'll be sure to make that change, hehe, what it should say is "...and run Thief II: The Metal Age normally." Sorry about that!

No, the reason I thought it was a TGold file was because when I open Darkloader in T2 it showed nothing on the screen except "you need Thief 1 to play this mission" in the top right area and none of the icons at the bottom of the DLoader could be accessed (all blanked out) but when I threw it in Darkloader in my TGOLD directory it showed that it would run and all the icons could be clicked on. It even went all the way to the objectives and started loading and then just exited out. Your doc page is cool but you might want to put the regular readme.doc in there also just in case someone's confused like me

Also, if I extract all your files and they make new directories in my T2 folder - then I will have to manually clear out all those files (I'm thinking mostly of the Dark2.gam) after I get done playing the mission I guess, is that correct?

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Garrettwannabe ]

Thiefmissions.com

[quote]Originally posted by Garrettwannabe:
    The only thing I found different was the file I got from the "Cheap Missions" webpage was actually 12,501K in size. Somehow, I got more than the 12.2 size.

The file is 12801001 bytes long; divide by 1024 and you get 12500KB (or KiB if you buy into the whole kibibytes/mebibytes thing). Divide again by 1024 and you get 12.2MB. Sorry, I'm a computer science kind of person and work in powers of two.
    - J<

I had fun opening this stripped mission in dromed b/c from a designer's point of view, this mission is cleaner than anything LGS ever released. I mean clean in the hierarchy, and clean in the object properties areas. DA, either you are obsessive compulsive, or just extremely thorough.

I did not notice any "hacked" objects that were simply "other objects" with hacked properties...everything has its proper place in the hierarchy. Even the "design notes" are filled out w/ little whatsit notes about how the item will work/should work in final release. I was stunned by the level of design detail (which no one sees) as much or more than the level of in-game detail.

I do agree with some sentiments about slow moving doors/cramped halls/and objects with pick ranges that are too short. It is annoying to have to frob a door and then step back so it can open. Beyond that, this level could be a real masterpiece if it was finished up.

[Thumbs Up!]

-P
    "Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all." -Ouallada
    Frolick at the Pub www.purah.com

Dark Angel, couldn't get it to load up in DLoader but I did get it to run thru Dromed and I gotta say it looks great. I have to admit, throwing it up in Dromed gave me the opportunity to enter the lil command to wander around unnoticed (which was good with all them killers in there....) checking out the great architecture.

I agree that this would be a awesome mission to finish - it seems like your pretty close now - but either way, some great work you've done in there and thx for releasing it.

Dark Angel

[quote]Originally posted by Garrettwannabe:
    Also, if I extract all your files and they make new directories in my T2 folder - then I will have to manually clear out all those files (I'm thinking mostly of the Dark2.gam) after I get done playing the mission I guess, is that correct?

Yeah, thats right. (Dark2.gam wouldn't really matter as much as you think it might though because the Thief II missions call for a Dark.gam) All you'd really need to remove would be the 'Strings' directory to get Thief II working normally but..yeah go ahead and remove all of them

Oh and yeah Purah, i probably am obsessive compulsive, hehehe

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: Dark Angel ]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast