TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T1 mages area help (spoilers) - 2000.01.13

T1 mages area help (spoilers) - 2000.01.13

I've just started playing Mages Area(the hard one, because i didn't realise there was an easy one ).I am playing on normal and i have just grabbed three scrolls, and have been given another one with a message that says something about left path the sixth, middle path the fith, right path the second and fourth, but i don't know what to do next. Anyone have any hints?

I think it is time you went to the library.
    By the way, have you got both lockpicks?
    find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;

Thanks, i'll try the library. I don't have either of the lockpicks,i haven't seen them in any of the few doors that were unlocked.

You're going to need those lockpicks. They're right back near the beginning. In the room where you had to rope arrow up to the beam and make that long jump across, there is a hole in the floor. Go swimming down there to find them.

And remember they're both in that room... one of them is a tad hard to spot
    Spoiler:
    having to avoid that zombie.

You don't have to avoid the
    Spoiler:
    zombie.You can lure him into the water quite easily, he drowns and then you can explore at your leisure.

Thanks Nightwalker, Marecki.

Okay, i've made it to the Library, but i don't have any moss arrows left and when i try to rope arrow up to the top floor i end up falling down and being hacked to death. Any suggestions?

Gone, but never forgotten

In expert, I visited at first Mike, in the hole just before statues.

I'm a bit confused. Why are you trying to rope arrow IN the Library? There are stairs to get you where you need to go in there. Lady Jo's right that you need to see Mike first, though it sounds like you did. Have you found the map in his room? That might help a bit. It's down behind the bed, I think.

Sorry, i'll try to be more clear. I'm in the library, standing in front of the fountain, but it is surrounded by tile. Anytime i step on it i'm heard and the two ghosts and the haunt from upstairs come looking for me and i end up quickloading again. Yes i have seen Mike and i found the map, but can't find the book Mike needs.

On another note, i just started playing Events in Highrock and wanted to know if there is a blackjack anywhwere in the mission? (I love challenging FM's and always try to find previous threads about the one i'm playing but couldn't seem to find one about the blackjack, it's probably in an obvious spot but i cant seem to find it)

In Events in Highrock, the blackjack is in your apartment at the beginning. You must have just missed seeing it. There is also a lockpick on the bed that a lot of people miss. This is a great FM and you should have lots of fun with it. Make sure you look for lots of second floor places you can get into with rope arrows.

You should be able to creep across the library floor without being heard. I've done it several times. Just crouch and move VERY slowly and you should be able to get past the two appartitions in the next room. When you get down in that area you'll find stairs leading up to the upper floors. I think you have to get 2 keys before you actually get access to the area of the Library with the book (if I remember correctly, because I'm not absolutely sure).

...and if you think that's the worst this mission can throw at you you'd better think again [Ebil]

Gone, but never forgotten

Normally it is the book in the last floor of the library that activates the opening towards Archives

Got it! Thanks for the help everyone.

Teleportation book

The teleportation book is in the archives, right? All the undead are now re-dead and I've scoured the place from the upper library down into the archives.

Anyone want to help me out with the location of some of the hard to find loot on this one? I'm playing the easy version on Impossible difficulty... I've finished everything and am over the main loot objective, but 60 under on the "gem" requirement...

So I imagine all I need to do is find a diamond or 2...but I've been through the whole level a few times looking for loot and am starting to go insane..if this level hasn't already made me insane after playing through it a second time (especially after going through that annoying Indiana Jones-esque step-on-the-right-tiles floor puzzle..oops, I didn't jump far enough and got stuck in the floor..reload..oops, I fell..reload..oops, I bumped one of the other tiles when I jumped and now have to do the sequence over again..and then I fell..reload...oops..reload..oops..reload..AAAHHH!!!)... So if anyone has a complete list of hidden loot areas with gems (yes, Nightwalker, I'm looking at you..heh), I'd appreciate it if you'd point out a few of the ones that are easily missed... Gracias...

I'm afraid I don't have a loot list for this one, but there IS a walkthrough which lists most of the loot locations. You might recognize what you missed from it. Check here .

Congratulations on finishing this one. It's one of the hardest ones to complete, I think, even using the "easy" version, which is anything BUT easy!

Thanks for the tip as always, Nightwalker.. I checked the walkthrough and was finished with the mission in a few minutes.. I must have looked over that statue in the library half a dozen times and never noticed that the fish had diamond eyes!

It's definitely a tough one. I beat it before on normal difficulty, though...so trying to finish on impossible wasn't quite as tough...other than the few annoying traps and the fact that the tile floors..and maybe a little impatience..basically forced me into good old fashioned hack n' slash play, which I usually enjoy anyway..although maybe not quite as much when I have like 4 haunts and 3 apparitions hunting for me while I'm hiding in the shadows swearing to myself armed only with a sword, 2 water arrows, and a couple broadheads

I made a loot list and a video for this mission.

Loot List
    Youtube Walkthrough

Clarification

There are 3 versions of 'The Mage's Area' available for download, however the ONLY one worth downloading is the 1.1 version available at taffers paradise http://www.taffersparadise.net/thief...ea,The_ENG.zip
    Darkfate http://download.darkfate.org/fan-mis...f1/Mages_Area/
    wayback http://www.komag.net/missionst1/MagesArea,The_ENG.zip

When Madgod first released this mission (1.0 version) it was considered too hard, so he then released a 'lite' version that had more loot (2792 rather than 2522 in the original version) made the AI's easier to deal with, put in more power-ups and repaired a few issues, however it still had some serious bugs so he later released a 1.1 version.....the problem is that both the 1.0 version and the 'lite' version (also 1.0) have issues with Newdark and it is highly likely you will NOT be able to finish the 1.0 version with Newdark

The 1.1 version is basically the 'lite' version with yet more loot (2852) and this plays SO much better, new voice acting (so you can actually understand what is being said), books and scrolls that you can actually read, and most bugs removed and best of all this version LIKES Newdark. There is not a 'lite' version of 1.1

Please note: The version on cheapmission is 1.0.... even though CM says it is 1.1
    This version is by far the toughest one to play, but should only be attempted using Olddark

Edit: There is 1 major Newdark bug in both 1.0 and 1.1 versions effecting the Path of Enlightenment, see posts below for details
    Last edited by fortuni; 15th Apr 2015 at 01:50.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    The 1.1 version ... plays SO much better ... all bugs removed and best of all this version LIKES Newdark
    I'm just replaying this (1.1 version, TG with TFix 1.20a / NewDark 1.22, "impossible" difficulty) but my copy does not seem to know it should like Newdark: I'm past the "Enlightened Path" but the floor trapdoor leading to Mike does not open (I hear the opening sound, but nothing happens). If I still continue to the library, the bookswitch on the uppper level likewise fails (it moves and clicks, but does not open anything).

I've (re)played at least a dozen other T1/TG FM's recently, all worked flawlessly. I'd be thankful for any idea...

you have found the only (i think half-bug in the mission)..... try again, but this time jump from a couple of feet back from the start of the trap floor and it should give way, the only problem is that likely or not you will hit the stone floor below and so die instantly, so you have to get the jump just right and you will land in the water below.......if that does not work you can do the next area backwards by collecting 3 crate's from the Mage's living area and stack them so you can jump up to the ladder in the ceiling on the other side of the trap floor.....one potential problem with this path is when you come from the caves and past the spiders to enter the Lost corridors where Mike is, when playing 1.0 version i came across a head-bob issue and could not reach the switch to open the secret door panel to access the Lost corridors

so try the jump again, but if that fails and if you do decide to go the alternative route could you let me know whether this head-bob issue occurs in 1.1 version....thanks
    Last edited by fortuni; 14th Apr 2015 at 11:42.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    you have found the only (i think half-bug in the mission)..... try again, but this time jump from a couple of feet back from the start of the trap floor and it should give way
    Thanks fortuni, the jump worked - but it's definitely a bug, because how would you ever come to this idea of jumping around if you didn't know it must be there? Now I'm going to try the bookswitch in the upper library...

Ok so its a bug....but blame the Mage's...they have not quite got around to making mechanical things work as well as the Hammers have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast